1. The BQC Open General Quiz Vikram Joshi(With valuable contributions from Anannya Deb)
3. Rules40 Questions11 – 20 are starred for tie-breakers and sudden death (ifrequired)If your answer cannot be read while correcting, it will beignoredIf you do not understand the question, then that is a clueThere are no part points anywherePlease switch off all mobiles during the quiz
4. Prelims 1If you add a six letter proper noun to these six terms, whatexhaustive list do you get? North South North East North West South Central North Central
5. Prelims 1 – AnswerThe 6 Mumbai Lok SabhaConstituencies.
6. Prelims 2This British television show devised by Bill Wright drewinspiration from his experiences of being interrogated by theGestapo during World War II.Identify the TV show.
8. Prelims 3Tony Marston, Mr & Mrs Rogers, Gen MacArthur, Emily Brent,Justice Wargrave, Dr Armstrong, William Blore, Philip Lombardand Vera Claythorne were guests of Mr U.N.Owen in whichbook that ranks 7th in the all time best sellers list according toPublications International?
9. Prelims 3 – AnswerAny of the following will beacceptedTen Little Niggers orTen Little Indians orAnd Then There Were None
10. Prelims 4On whose 100th birthday did Google run this Doodle?
11. Prelims 4On whose 100th birthday did Google run this Doodle?
12. Prelims 4 – AnswerLucille Ball, born August 6th1911
13. Prelims 5In which city do you have two rival football clubs playing whatthey call “the inter-continental derby”?
14. Prelims 5 – AnswerIstanbul.Galatasaray (on the Europeanside) v Fenerbahce (on theAsian side)
15. Prelims 6At least two historians of that time claim the person saidnothing. However, one of these historians did say that there wereothers who told him that the last words as spoken by the personwere “Kai su, teknon?” However, we know these words – throughEnglish literature – in a different language (though they meangenerally the same thing) but used in the English language as anexpression of betrayal.How do we better know these words?
16. Prelims 6 – AnswerEt tu, Brute?(Courtesy Bill Shakespeare)Both Seutonius and Plutarchbelieve Caesar did not sayanything. However, Seutoniusreports others telling him thesame.
17. Prelims 7Which calculating tool and programming language designedby Alan Eliasen in 2001, whose main focus is in the fields ofscience, engineering, physics, text processing and education, isnamed rather appropriately after a character in the Simpsons?
19. Prelims 8Formerly an exclusive hunting reserve of the former rulersof Mysore, which national park whose name literally means“streams of snakes” along with 2 other national parks and onewildlife sanctuary forms the largest contiguous protected area inSouth India?
20. Prelims 8 – AnswerNagarhole National Parkofficially called Rajiv GandhiNational Park. If you havewritten either, you get points.
21. Prelims 9What is the common name of the structure erected as markedon the map shown with the purpose of keeping out somethingfrom human inhabited areas? This common name of thestructure is also the title of a 2002 Australian film.
22. Prelims 9What structure was erected as marked on the map shown withthe purpose of keeping out something from human inhabitedareas? The name of the structure lends its name to a 2002Australian film.
23. Prelims 9 – AnswerRabbit Proof Fence, officiallyThe State Barrier Fence ofWestern Australia and alsoknown as State Vermin Fenceand the Emu Fence
24. Prelims 10GK Chesterton in his 1911 poem Lepanto closes with this stanza: _________ on his galley sets the sword back in the sheath (Don John of Austria rides homeward with a wreath.) And he sees across a weary land a straggling road in Spain, Up which a lean and foolish knight forever rides in vain, And he smiles, but not as Sultans smile, and settles back the blade... (But Don John of Austria rides home from the Crusade.)Fill in the blank
25. Prelims 10 – AnswerCervantesMiguel Cervantes, creator ofDon Quixote “lean and foolishknight” was one of the soldiersin the Battle of Lepanto.Right: Don Quixote by PabloPicasso
26. Prelims 11The only US First Lady to win an Emmy award won it for hertelevised tour of the completed restoration of the White Housetelecast on CBS.Name her.
27. Prelims 11 – AnswerJackie Kennedy (orJacqueline Kennedy)Will not accept any additionsof Bouvier or Onassis to hername for this answer
28. Prelims 12This rebellion which began in 1951 is an acronym of the wordsfor “Europeans go to Europe; Africans get independence” inSwahili.It was brutally put down with over 20,000 African deaths andonly 150 European ones.Name this rebellion.
29. Prelims 12 – AnswerMau Mau RebellionIt is believed to stand for“Mzungu Aende Ulaya,Mwafrika Apate Uhuru”
30. Prelims 13There are four cardinal sins as prescribed in the Rehit Maryadafor all baptised Sikhs. The first three area) Dishonouring the hairb) Eating meat of an animal slaughtered the Muslim wayc) Co-habiting with a person other than your spouseWhich is the fourth sin?
31. Prelims 13 – AnswerSmoking or consumption oftobacco.Incidentally even alcohol isbanned for the initiated Sikh.
32. Prelims 14The 13th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Handschar, namedafter the Turkish knife used during Ottoman times and blessedby the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, was raised by the Nazis withthe objective of recruiting members of which specific ethnicgroup?
33. Prelims 14 – AnswerBosnian Muslims to fight theYugoslav partisans (who weremostly Serbs) and the Jews.
34. Prelims 15Name the 16th-17th century clergyman turned statesman whowas dubbed “the father of the modern European state” by HenryKissinger and “the architect of absolute monarchy” by Frenchhistorians and is the subject of the famous triple portrait byPhilippe de Champagne?
35. Prelims 15 – AnswerArmand Jean du Plessis orCardinal Richelieu. (Eitheranswer will do.)
36. Prelims 16Introduced into India by Babur and later formalised by Akbar,Mughal Ganjifa is a card game played with a deck of 96 cardscomprising of 8 suits of 12 cards each. As the game becamepopular beyond the Mughal courts, the designs on the cardswere made compatible with Hindu tradition. A second form ofthe game emerged with 10 suits of 12 cards each. While localvariations abound across the country, Mughal Ganjifa and itsHindu sibling remain the two meta-variants. What is this Hinduform of Ganjifa called or what was typically depicted in the 10suits?
38. Prelims 17Critics of her 1956 ghost-written memoirs The Heart Has ItsReasons said, "facts were remorselessly rearranged in what amountedto a self-performed face-lift ... reflecting in abundance its authorspolitically misguided but winning and desirable personality." Sheherself is reported to have summed up her life in a sentence: "Youhave no idea how hard it is to live out a great romance.“ Who is she?
39. Prelims 17 – AnswerWallis Simpson (née BessieWallis Warfield) or theDuchess of Windsor
40. Prelims 18The Boswellia tree historically was widespread in the Arabianpeninsula, the Horn of Africa and India and is the source ofolibanum. But a recent study notes that this tree may come closeto extinction in another 50 years due to various ecologicalfactors. This will inevitably drive up the prices of olibanum.What is olibanum, a Biblically significant product?
41. Prelims 18 – AnswerFrankincense – made from theresins excreted by bark of thetree
42. Prelims 19Give me one word for the cloud of white aluminium piecesthat were ejected by WW2 fighters on both sides and served as aradar-evading counter-measure by enveloping the plane andcausing distortions on radar screens. The Brits called it Windowwhile the Germans called it Duppel.
43. Prelims 19 The British Lancaster over Essen during a thousand bombing raidGive me one word for the cloud of white aluminium piecesthat were ejected by WW2 fighters on both sides and served as aradar-evading counter-measure by enveloping the plane andcausing distortions on radar screens. The Brits called it Windowwhile the Germans called it Duppel.
44. Prelims 19 – AnswerChaff
45. Prelims 20The Russell-Einstein Manifesto begins as follows: IN the tragic situation which confronts humanity, we feel that scientists should assemble in conference to appraise the perils that have arisen as a result of the development of weapons of mass destruction, and to discuss a resolution in the spirit of the appended draft.What was the conference that assembled in July 1957 called orwhere was this conference held?
46. Prelims 20 – AnswerThe Pugwash Conference onScience and World Affairsheld in Pugwash, Nova Scotia,Canada sponsored by JosephRotblat.In 1995, Rotblat and thePugwash Conference wereawarded the Nobel PeacePrize.
47. Prelims 21This was the home and the final resting place of this monarch.Where is this?
48. Prelims 21This was the home and the final resting place of this monarch.Where is this?
49. Prelims 21This was the home and the final resting place of this monarch.Where is this?
50. Prelims 21 – AnswersRatnagiri. Thebaw Housewhere Thebaw, the last king ofBurma was exiled by theBritish.
51. Prelims 22Name the personality celebrating her 21st birthday featured inthis cartoon EH Shepherd (who also illustrated the first editionof Winnie the Pooh) made for the April 1947 issue of Punch. Thiswas the first of many cartoons (continuing to this day) featuringthis personality.
52. Prelims 22Name the personality celebrating her 21st birthday featured inthis cartoon EH Shepherd (who also illustrated the first editionof Winnie the Pooh) made for the April 1947 issue of Punch. Thiswas the first of many cartoons (continuing to this day) featuringthis personality.
53. Prelims 22 – AnswerPrincess ElizabethIf you have written QueenElizabeth II, we’ll give youpoints for now but in case of atie, it will be used against you.
54. Prelims 23What form of literature meaning a little song in Italian has thefollowing types -Curtal, Caudate, Pushkin, Occitan, Spenserian, Modern amongothers?
55. Prelims 23 – AnswerSonnetThe two most famous typesare Petrarchan (Italian) andShakespearian (English)
56. Prelims 24Using photographs taken in 1944, the Lili Jacob Album first gavethe world a view into this facility. Pawel Sawicki visited the samefacility over the last 2 years and took photos using the sameangles. The same were released in a publication recently titled“________ - ______ - The Place Where You are Standing”. Whichfacility?
57. Prelims 24Using photographs taken in 1944, the Lili Jacob Album first gavethe world a view into this facility. Pawel Sawicki visited the samefacility over the last 2 years and took photos using the sameangles. The same were released in a publication recently titled“________ - ______ - The Place Where You are Standing”. Whichfacility?
58. Prelims 24 – AnswerAuschwitz-Birkenau
59. Prelims 25As per this seminal paper published in July 1936 in theProceedings of the London Mathematical Society, what do you call anumber if its decimal can be written down by a machine?
60. Prelims 25 – AnswerComputable.From Alan Turing’s OnComputable Numbers With AnApplication to theEntscheidungsproblemJune 23rd 2012 is his 100th birthanniversary
61. Prelims 26The wholly Arctic based predator Monodon monoceros gets itsscientific name from the Greek for "one-tooth one-horn“. Thesehorns were considered to have magic powers, such as the abilityto cure poison and melancholia because of which Vikings andother northern traders sold them for many times their weight ingold. The tusks were used to make cups that were thought tonegate any poison that may have been slipped into the drink.Name this mammal.
62. Prelims 26 – AnswerThe Narwhal.The other species in theMonodontinadae family is theBeluga whale.
63. Prelims 27What word meaning cheap or poor quality wine comes fromthe slang term used by Australian and British soldiers in thefields of northern France during WW1 to describe the terriblewhite wine i.e. “vin blanc” that farmers sold in order to get rid ofit?
64. Prelims 27 – AnswerPlonk
65. Prelims 28Though they have an elaborate naming system for their over12,000 products, because of the global markets some of thesenames can often cause hilarity. In Anglophone countries, forexample, Jerker, Fukta, Fartfull and Lyckhem were productnames which had to be withdrawn (however benign theirmeanings may be in the original language). Name the company?
66. Prelims 28 – AnswerIKEA
67. Prelims 29The first ruler of this kingdom was Shivaji’s half-brother VenkojiBhosale.The kingdom lasted until 1832 when due to the lack of legitimatemale heirs, it devolved to the British under the Doctrine ofLapse.Name it.
68. Prelims 29 – AnswerTanjore/Thanjavur
69. Prelims 30Who is this famous citizen from Leeuwarden, Netherlandswhose crime was conclusively proven more than 50 years laterwhen classified documents were made public?
70. Prelims 30Who is this famous citizen from Leeuwarden, Netherlandsabout whose crime was conclusively proven more than 50 yearslater when classified documents were made public?
71. Prelims 30 – AnswerMata Hari or MargaretGertrude Zelle.There is still debate aboutwhether she was really asgood a dancer as she claimedto be.
72. Prelims 31Born to parents who survived the siege of Leningrad, he learntthe Russian martial art Sambo and later switched to the Olympicsport of Judo. He has achieved the rank of the 6th dan (red / whitebelt) in Judo and is the co-author along with Vasily Shestakovand Alexei Levitsky of the 2004 publication “Judo: History, Theoryand Practice”.Name this tough guy.
73. Prelims 31 – AnswerVladimir Putin“This is how you elect af$#@%@$ president” – GennadyGudkov, Opposition deputy inthe Duma
74. Prelims 3210 years after his famous book, Paul Theroux was back in theIndian subcontinent traveling by train from Peshawar toChittagong. His narrative was published in an issue of NationalGeographic embellished by photographs such as these. Name theaccomplished photographer who also did one of the most iconicNational Geographic covers ever?
75. Prelims 3210 years after his famous book, Paul Theroux was back in theIndian subcontinent traveling by train from Peshawar toChittagong. His narrative was published in an issue of NationalGeographic embellished by photographs such as these. Name theaccomplished photographer who also did one of the most iconicNational Geographic covers ever?
76. Prelims 3210 years after his famous book, Paul Theroux was back in theIndian subcontinent traveling by train from Peshawar toChittagong. His narrative was published in an issue of NationalGeographic embellished by photographs such as these. Name theaccomplished photographer who also did one of the most iconicNational Geographic covers ever?
77. Prelims 32 – AnswerSteve McCurry famous forclicking Sharbat Gula, TheAfghan Girl“Most of my photos are groundedin people. I look for the unguardedmoment, the essential soulpeeking out, experience etched ona persons face. I try to conveywhat it is like to be that person.”
78. Prelims 33I’m not a business quizzer, so this must seem to be the easiestquestion ever to some of you. Just add four words to completethe speech that you will see in the video.
79. Prelims 33 – Answer“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish”Originates from the back coverof 1974 edition of “Google inPaperback form” The WholeEarth Catalog
80. Prelims 34Name this ensemble musical group who get their very regalname from the Cambridge based alma mater of their original sixfounding members. Over the last 40 years, over 24 differentpeople have been part of this ensemble which has won 2Grammys and many other notable awards. Here they areperforming “Masterpiece”, a history of 400 years of classicalmusic.
82. Prelims 35In Indian quizzing parlance, this question falls under thecategory called TCQ (Typical Chennai Question) which concernrecently departed personalities. Using that as a clue, identifythis band performing a cover of a Neil Diamond classic.
83. Prelims 35 – AnswerThe Monkees, a band formedfor a TV show after which theywent on to cut a few records.Their front-man Davy Jones isthe reason why this question istagged as a TCQ.
84. Prelims 36Identify the owner of the voice that recites the chant in this clip.
85. Prelims 36 – AnswerSatyajit Ray
86. Prelims 37When performing this song, the singer forgot a verse. So sheimprovised on the spot. This performance would later win her aGrammy for Best Vocal Performance Female. Name the songand the literary work from which it originates. (No Part Points)
87. Prelims 37 – AnswerMack the Knife (Die Moritatvon Mackie Messer) from BertoltBrecht’s The Three-pennyOpera (original German titleDie Dreigroschenoper)The singer is, well, of course,Ella.
88. Prelims 38Name the poet, co-founder of the Chhayavad movement inHindi literature, whose work you will just hear in this clip?
90. Prelims 39You will hear a famous “declaration” interrupted by theapplause of an appreciative crowd. Name the person makingthis speech.
91. Prelims 39Neville Chamberlain’sfamous “Peace in our time”speech made after the Munichagreement with Hitler.
92. Prelims 40We started in Mumbai and we shall return to Bombay. After aperformance on April 4, 1958 at the Eros Theatre in Bombay, theTimes of India music critic wrote “Pianist most outstanding...It hasthe inestimable gift of being able to take the starch out of music snobs –and there are so many of us in this great city.” Name the artist /quartet.
93. Prelims 40The Dave Brubeck Band, sentto India by the StateDepartment to share theAmerican way of life.