1. Cold War Foreign Policy<br />The Korean War<br />
2. Learning Target: <br />I CAN explain the origins of the Korean War and why it is significant. <br /><ul><li>The tensions of the Cold War shifts its emphasis from Europe to East Asia.
3. These tensions still exist today in Korea.</li></li></ul><li>Origins of the Korean War<br />China falls to Communism in 1949<br /><ul><li>corrupt Chinese nationalists took U.S. economic aid to line pockets
4. Peasants turned to Mao Zedong
5. People’s Republic of China</li></ul> Why were the communists able to win the Chinese Civil War?<br />How do you think this made Americans feel?<br />
6. Conflict!<br />Korea divided at the 38th parallel of latitude<br />-North Korea Soviet Union set up communist government with armed forces<br />-South Korea noncommunist with limited aid<br />N. Korea invades S. Korea in 1950<br />- Truman steps in to aid S. Korea <br />
7. U.S. Involvement<br />American soldiers not prepared for combat<br />General MacArthur<br />-surprise attack at city of Inchon<br />-communist forces flee back to the N. Korean border (pg. 521)<br />-attacked north of 38th parallel <br /> China sends 300,000 troops<br />-conflict ends in stalemate<br />