A once in a lifetime opportunity to acquire the freehold of one of the last grand residences to be built on this scale in Central London.
Located between Kensington Palace and Holland Park, this wonderful mansion enjoys a grand and tranquil outlook over its own private walled garden of around one acre (in excess of 4,000 square meters) and includes a detached staff cottage, extensive parking and space for a tennis court.
The mansion was built in 1915 by the celebrated architect Edward P. Warren (1856-1937) who was famous for designing many of the most prestigious college buildings at both Oxford and Cambridge Universities, as well as many monuments and grand residences throughout England.
The owner was Colonel Grove-Hills, the most prominent astronomer of the time who occupied the position of President of the Royal Astronomical Society.
It remained almost unchanged in private ownership until the early 1950s when it became an Ambassadorial residence. It continued as a diplomatic residence until January 2001, when it reverted to the freeholders the Phillimore Estate.
In that year the property was purchased freehold by the present owners who have spent seven years pursuing, and successfully obtaining, planning permission to redevelop the property into an extraordinary mansion unequalled in Central London.