SlideShare for iOS
by Linkedin Corporation
FREE - On the App Store
1. Map and flag of Bilbao ...
1. Map and flag of Bilbao
2. Bilbo in Basque language - Capital of the province of Biscay in the autonomous community of the Basque Country - 10th largest city in Spain. - Founded: 15/6/1300 - Population (2013): 367.890
3. Bilbao effect: the targeted enhancement of a landscape through new and spectacular buildings. - Bilbao is a clear case of success and a model of the application of the practice of city branding. - A city that managed to transform its gloomy past into a brilliant future.
4. 1850: first blast furnace was constructed in Bilbao. - The economy of Bilbao was focused on the iron and steel industry and ship building. - Severely damaged during the industrial crisis of 1975. - Severe flooding of 1983 - Threat of 30% unemployment - The “do or die situation” led to the decision of the metamorphosis of the city.
5. Improvement of exterior accessibility and interior mobility. - Regeneration of environment and urban quality. - Investing in human resources and in technology innovation. - The city by the beginning of 90’s has nothing to do with Bilbao at present - A cultural, cosmopolitan, open, modern and contemporary city, where tradition and innovation coexist.
6. Designed by Frank O. Gehry. - An international symbol of modernity and urban regeneration and the icon of Bilbao. - “The Guggenheim effect” - Early 1990’s: the importance of a project that would become an economic and cultural engine, which would revitalize the city of Bilbao. - On 23rd October 1993 the Museum’s construction started. - On 19th October 1997, the Museum’s official public unveiling took place.
7. Some links about Bilbao
9. Bilbao: The Fascinating Transformation