View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
IntroductionIn the worldtoday, people areliving under stress and strain, painfulness as result of craving, hunger, Over ambition, fear, anxiety, lack of safety, separation, population.
There are two kinds ofmeditations1. Tranquil Meditation(samathakamathan) Everyone is in pursuit of real happiness in life. A well-developed mind brings happiness2. Insight meditation(vipassanakamathan). Insight meditation involves the accumulationand development of the highest level of wisdomamong all the worldly wisdom.
General Benefits Gained fromTranquil Meditation Practice• Promoting physical and mental relaxation and health, good for oneself and good for others• Overcome stress and strain in life• Developing a mind with complete freedom• Lowering blood pressure• Increasing self-confidence• Enhancing good personality• Improving memory• Increasing learning power• Improving job performance
General Benefits Gained (conti)• Making effective use of time• Enhancing creativity• Contributing to giving up habits of drinking, smoking and drug abuse• Lessening worries and anxieties• Enriching one’s life with subtle happiness and tranquility• Acquiring initiative and creative wisdom highly beneficial to one’s life• Relieving physical and mental suffering and ridding the mind and body of certain illnesses• Providing a wholesome and effective outlet for coping with life’s problem and attaining a high level of invaluable tranquility and happiness
Mental Obstacles to Tranquil MeditationThere are 5 factors that bar begginer prectisioner1. Craving for sensual pleasure objects( kamachanda)2. Dissatisfaction and anger ( Byapada)3. Sleepiness( Thinamidha)4. Mental wandering and worrying(uddhacca kukkucca)5. Scepticism ( vicikiccha)
1. Craving for sensual pleasure objects( kamachanda) People tend to look for and become attached to sensually pleasurable objects: good looks, sweet voice, a pleasant odor, a delicious taste, comforts through bodily contact or delightful events
2. Dissatisfaction or AngerNew practitioners of meditation, their minds arenot yet steady so they cannot concentrate on themeditation object; no matter how hard they try. Asresult, they - become frustrated, - dissatisfied - or angry.
4. Mental Wandering andWorrying A number of beginners who are faced with mental obstacle are often unable to focus on the meditation object The mental wandering and worrying bring about anxiety, distress, or uneasiness
5. ScepticismSome beginners may face themental obstacle that caused byunreasonable doubt aboutmeditation a. What benefits gainedfrom meditation? b. Whether or notmeditation will bring about thehighest level of subtlehappiness? c. One may even feel hehas been misled after his/herpractice fails to produce anydesired result after a longperiod of time.
PROCEDURES AND APPLICATION1. Metta–loving-kindness Meditationwe are bound toexperience somethingunpleasant or undesirablewhich can give rise for our anger, fear, annoyance or frustration.
Procedures and steps1. Mention verbally or mentally these word sappe satta avera hontu.2. Repeat verbally or silently the word Metta Metta Metta
2. Anaba(BreathingMeditation) Procedure and stepsa. anapan( breathing) meditation should be practiced in an disturbed and reasonably comfortable surrounding.b. Good grooming and comfortable dress are recommended.c. It is advisable to sit up straight with eyes closed in order to improve concentration.d. To ensure effectiveness, one is required to commit one’s mind to practicing Breathing Meditation as well as to leave behind all worries and problems to the greatest extent possible.
e. During the meditation practice , concentrate on the touching of inhaled and exhaled air on the area between the nose tip and upper lip but do not follow the inhaled and exhaled air in and out of the body; otherwise, you will be unnecessarily tired and concentration will be adversely affect.f. When concentrating effectively, you will attain tranquility of mind with high degree of subtle contentment and happy feeling s a never before experienced.g. If effective concentration can not be maintained due to mental wandering, do not be discouraged.
Odata Kasina( White ObjectMeditation White object meditation is the way to develop the concentration to the highest level of subtle happiness and contentment in life.
Preparation stage1. Cut a circle with a diameter of 12 inches out of a piece of white paper or cloth.2. Paste this white circle in the center of piece of black3. This white circle should be placed at eye level when viewed from a sitting position at a distance of 1 meter.4. Before the practice, make sure that white object is at level of your.5. It is advisable to practice in a quiet place.6. Good grooming and comfortable dress.
Practice stage1. Sit up strait and contemplate the value of this(Odata Kasina) meditation in overcoming suffering and simultaneously enhancing the level of serenity and happiness2. Focus the eyes on the white object(Odata Kasina) in ordinary manna3. Do not become distracted by closely examining or analyzing the meditation object. Merely focus on the white object.
Practice stage(cont)4. Mention the words “white, white,white,……….5. Then alternatively open and close the eyes.6. To be more effective, this kasina meditation should be practice daily for at least half an hour as an opportunity permit.7. During Kasina Meditation, if face the obstacles such as the desire for pleasant objects, dissatisfaction, mental wandering, sleepiness, and scepticism, be aware of the detrimental effects of these obstacles on the meditation.
CONCLUSIONIf the meditator practices in accordance with theabove procedures and guideline, s/he will receivemany benefits as mentioned above.