1. Search Engine Optimization 101
“Everything should be kept as simple as possible,
but no simpler.” - Albert Einstein
2. What You’re Going To Learn Today
4. Google’s Front Page
#1 Spot - 41%-45%
#2 Spot - 11%-18%
#3 Spot - 7%-15%
The Rest - 2% Each
Paid Ads #1 Spot - 2%
20% Total Share
5. The 3 Steps to SEO Success
1. Research : Learn what keywords your prospects are actively searching for.
2. Relevance : Strategically target your content for relevant keywords.
3. Reputation : Position yourself as a “trusted authority” for your topic.
6. What Gets Measured, Gets Managed
First Thing’s First: Install Google Analytics!
7. How Search Engines Operate
People have questions and Google attempts to show them to content with the answers.
Crawling : Search engines follow links and read the content of a website.
Indexing : The data that is found is stored in their “index.”
Determining Rankings : Based on their algorithm, they determine where to rank the page.
Serving Results : When users search, they are shown the most relevant and authoritative content.
8. Step 1 : Research
9. Keyword Research
Keyword research is one of the most important things you can do as a blogger.
10. What Makes A Great Keyword?
Is this keyword good for your business?
Searcher Intent : What is the intention of their search?
Your Intent : Are you looking for readers, subscribers, buyers?
Qualification : Is this the right type of customer for your business?
Buying Cycle : Are they shopping around, looking for info, or ready to buy?
Competition : How much will it cost you to acquire this keyword, and is it worth it?
11. How To : Research
Live Demo of the Keyword Tool
12. Step 2 : Relevance
13. Create Optimized Content
How to be certain Google will find you relevant for your intended keywords.
Page Titles : Your page title is the single most important element of your page/post.
Headlines : Include your keywords in your headlines and sub headlines (H1, H2)
Body Content : Naturally work your keyword into the post body copy.
Meta Description : Write a strong call to action that includes your keyword.
Meta Keywords : Google does not use this to rank websites. Stop using this.
Content Quality : If people bounce, it tells Google you weren’t relevant.
14. Make Your Content Easily Accessible
If Google doesn’t easily understand what your content is about, you will not rank for your keywords.
Easy to follow text links to all of your content
Clean up 404 errors, use 301 redirects.
Recommended: Google Webmaster Tools
15. 404 - Keyword Not Found
Put your keywords where Google likes to see them, and can easily find them.
Where to put your keywords
Where NOT to put your keywords
If you do, use IMG ALT text
16. Create Sharable Content
Only post something that you know your audience will love and share.
Write “tweetable” headlines that hook your readers.
It’s not about your product, it’s about their problems.
Answer the most common questions with blog posts.
Don’t be afraid to stir up a controversy and polarize your audience.
17. Your Homework
Write a blog post that is highly relevant for a target keyword
Step 1 : Using a Target Keyword, create an article or blog post that’s around 1200+ words.
Step 2 : Place the keyword where Google likes to see it.
Step 3 : Post it to your Blog or on a Page.
18. Step 3 : Authority
19. Why Do I Need Authority?
Authority is how Google determines where to place you
in the search results.
Without high-quality links you have no authority, and
with no authority you have no rankings.
Here’s a few ways to boost your authority and begin to
seeing your Google rankings rise...
20. It’s All About High-Quality Links
Authority is determined by the quality and quantity of inbound links to your website.
Page or Post
21. All Links Are Not Created Equal
22. How NOT To Boost Your Authority
Here’s a few ways to ruin your online reputation and eventually get banned by Google.
1. Using “SEO Software” or any automated SEO tools
2. Any SEO trick that claims to provide quick and easy rankings
3. Buying cheap SEO services off of craigslist or elance
4. Submission services that build lots of low-quality links
5. Buying or Begging for links
23. How To Boost Your Authority
Here’s a few ways to get high-quality links so you can beat your competition and rank higher.
1. Social Media & Bookmarking (Twitter, Facebook, StumbleUpon, Reddit, etc.)
2. Guest Posting
3. Commenting on Related Blogs
4. Video Marketing (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)
5. Acquiring Your Competitors Links
6. Quality Directory Links (Yahoo, Business.com, Yelp)
24. Social Media Has Become An Essential
Element Of Search Engine Optimization.
1. You don’t get links from websites, you get links from people.
2. Being social allows you to stop building links, and start attracting them.
3. Being a topic of conversation is an indication to Google that you matter.
25. Twitter & Facebook Proﬁle Links
Always add a link back to your site from any social profile you create.
26. Shares, Tweets, and Re-Tweets
Setup your blog to make it easy for people to share your posts and follow you.
27. Google+ Proﬁle Links
28. Commenting On Blogs For Links
Commenting is a great way to add value to a fellow blogger, and get a link back to your site.
29. Asking To Guest Post On Blogs
• Bloggers love free high-quality content!
• You get a few links back to your site.
• The links can be anchor text optimized.
34. What To Do Next...
Research : Use the Google Keyword Tool to find a Target Keyword.
Relevance : Write an article and strategically place the Target Keyword on your Page or Blog Post.
Authority : Continue acquiring links to your Page or Blog Post for as long as it takes to rank.
Repeat : Once you rank #1 for the Target Keyword, repeat the process for another keyword.
35. Get Free Video Training
Video Training, Worksheets, Step-By-Step Guides:
“A little less conversation, a little more action” - Elvis