On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
The Attitude of Beatitude Not the congratulations that his audience was expecting “Blessed” = The highest type of well- being that a human can experience “Poor in spirit” = destitution, utter dependence. Opposite of spiritual pride and self-sufficiency Don’t be a whitewashed tomb
What is the “Kingdom of Heaven?”Wherever God rules! There is peace and joy there.
“You can’t change the taste of cabbage by spraying your kitchen with deodorant.”
Where do beatitudes come from?• They are not natural tendencies.• There is no natural origin.• They are dispositions created by God’s grace and God’s spirit.
Each beatitudecreates aconditionfor the next
The poor in spirit is caused to mourn Those who mourn are meek The meek hunger and thirst for righteousness The spiritually satisfied are the merciful The merciful are pure in heart The pure in heart are peacemakers The peacemakers can be persecuted
What is meekness?Meekness is power under control.It is a by-product of humbling yourself before God.
Why Is Meekness Necessary?
1. It is commandedSeek the lord, all you humble of the land, you who do what he commands. – Zephaniah 2:3
2. It is Necessary For SalvationThe lord will beautify the meekwith salvation –Psalm 149:4
3. It is Necessary ForReceiving God’s WordReceive with meekness the engrafted word, which is ableto save your souls –James 1:21
4. It is Necessary ForEffective WitnessingBe ready always to give an answer toevery man that asketh you a reason ofthe hope that is in you, with meeknessand fear – 1 Peter 3:15
5. It Gives Glory to GodYour beauty should not come fromoutward adornment, such as braidedhair and the wearing of gold jewelryand fine clothes. Instead, it should bethat of your inner self, the unfadingbeauty of a gentle and quietspirit, which is of great worth in God’ssight.
How did Christ model meekness?BirthJerusalem entryArrest and crucifixionAcknowledging source of powerNever defended himself but rather God’s houseand his sheep
The meek also shallincrease their joy in the Lord, and the poor among men shallrejoice in the Holy One of Israel – Isaiah 29:19
How Can I Know If I am Meek?1. You will get angry only when God is dishonored2. You will respond humbly and obediently to God’s word3. You will make peace4. You will receive criticism well5. You will be gentle in instructing othersIn the wheat field the most valuable heads are bowed the lowest
The meek willinherit the earth “So the last will be first and the first will be last.” –Matthew 20:16Job’s lesson
“So what are you asking us to do?”
“When the church is-different enoughfrom the world it willattract the world”Fike 1961 Rev. Paul
+ = So that we can love God. So that we can be intimate with God. Because God is God!
Praise Be ToGod, Who Gives UsThe Victory ThroughOur Lord JesusChrist!
Delivered 1/9/10 at HempfieldChurch of the Brethren 10:15service