1.2.6 Role of citizens:
Know the pledge of
allegiance and understand
that it is a promise to be
loyal to the united states.
What is the pledge of allegiance?
Why do we have it?
What are the words?
Are there different kinds of pledges?
Allegiance- the loyalty of a citizen to his or her government or
of a subject to his or her sovereign.
Pledge- a solemn promise or agreement to do or refrain from
Honor- honesty, fairness, and integrity in one’s beliefs.
Liberty- freedom from arbitrary or despotic government or
Justice- the quality of being just; righteousness,
equitableness, or moral rightness
The purpose of this lesson
is to help students learn
the Pledge of Allegiance.
This lesson will also teach
the students why we say it,
who wrote it, what it
means, and how other
countries declare their
Things to do before the lesson:
• print off copies of the pledge for each child.
• Gather materials:
o craft sticks (enough for each child to have
Here is a copy of
the Pledge of
print out for
Activity: Students will learn how the Pledge of Allegiance is a
promise to be loyal to the United States of America.
a. 1. Pass out the words to the Pledge of Allegiance.
2. Read the Pledge of Allegiance to students.
3. Have them brainstorm what the meaning of the word pledge
4. Discuss with students that a pledge is a promise.
5. Ask students: “When we say the Pledge of Allegiance, what
are we promising?”
6. Help students understand that saying the Pledge of
Allegiance is promising to be loyal to the United States of
Practice the Pledge
1. Explain to students that when saying the Pledge
of Allegiance, Americans place their right hands
over their hearts as a sign of respect and loyalty.
2. Direct students to place their hands over their
hearts, to look at the words, and to say the Pledge
of Allegiance with you.
3. Have students practice saying the Pledge of
Allegiance several times.
1. Tell students that they are going
to write a class pledge.
2. Explain to students that their
class pledge will focus on their
being good classroom citizens.