1. 21 November 2012 Ethnocentricity LO: to explore ethnicrepresentations in the media
2. STARTERWhat do the following terms mean?• ethnocentricity• tokenism
3. Key terms• Ethnocentricity: This is the belief in the superiority of the nation to which we belong, for example, Britain. Some newspapers are essentially ethnocentric in that they carry very little foreign news and will celebrate the greatness of Britain as a nation.• Tokenism: This is where a media text includes a few members of a minority group, for example, some plus size models in a glamour magazine. This appears to redress the balance but in fact, as the group is in the minority they have no real power within the text and their ‘difference’ from the norm is also highlighted. Tokenism also tends to present a stereotypical view of that group so that audiences can
4. TASK• Groups – discuss idea of ethnocentricity and tokenism in the media. – is it an issue? – do you notice how ethnicities are used in the media?• Create ‘Yes’ / ‘No’ columns and add reasons and examples.
5. TASK• CLASS DEBATE!• Is ethnocentricity and tokenism issues in the media today?
6. PLENARY• Summarize today’s lesson/learning in 3 bullet points.
7. HOMEWORK• Post a response on Moodle to debate on whether or not Eastenders is ethnocentric.