View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Close your eyes....
Imagine if EVERY child in east Gainesville
graduated from high school on time, ready for a
post-secondary education and a 21st-century
career. AND, imagine, if ALL youth in East
Gainesville had ZERO involvement with the
juvenile justice system....
What would our community look like?
Now open your eyes....This is the impact the Boys & Girls Club
The Harris Survey of Boys &
Girls Club Alumni
To inspire and enable all young people, especially
those who need us most, to realize their full
potential as productive, responsible and caring
CORE VALUES: Club programs and services promote
and enhance the development of boys and girls by
instilling a sense of competence, usefulness, belonging
Awards & Community
• Recipient, Boys & Girls Clubs of America National Honors Award, 2013, for Health
& Life Skills Program
• Recipient, Boys & Girls Clubs of America National Honors Award, 2012, for Arts
• Recipient, Florida Area Council of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Honors Award
2011, for Program Impact Excellence
• Recipient, Black on Black Crime Task Force Appreciation Award, 2011
• Recipient, Boys & Girls Clubs of America National Merit Award 2011, for Character
and Leadership Development
• Recipient, Keep America Beautiful National Award, 2008
• Recipient, Colgate National Volunteer/Community Service Award, 2007, for
Endeavor Program (Children with mental and physical disabilities)
• Recipient, Summer Reading Achievers National Award, No Child left Behind,
presented by US Secretary of Education Rodney Paige, 2006
Formula for Impact
Simply stated, if we take the Young People Who Need Us Most and provide them
with the best possible Outcome-Driven Club Experience, they will be Academically
Successful, demonstrate Good Character and Citizenship and live Healthy Lifestyles.
Everything Clubs provide young people,
including life-changing programs; fun,
enriching experiences; and supportive
relationships with peers and caring adults.
The combination of these critical elements
enables and empowers Club youth to
achieve positive outcomes.
• Attorney General’s Office, Alachua County Public Schools,
Gainesville Housing Authority, Alachua County Housing
Authority, University of Florida, Santa Fe College, Florida
Blue Key, Teen Court, GPD, ASO, Department of Juvenile
Justice, Peaceful Paths, Keep Alachua County Beautiful,
BBBS, Girls Scouts, UF Fraternities and Sororities, SWAG,
Juvenile Justice Council, United States Tennis Association,
United Way, and many more.
Collaborations & volunteers
1,200 volunteers in 2011 representing
Thousands of dollars in savings
Through grants and leveraging the Club has successfully
brought in Hundreds of Thousands to Gainesville.
Department of Justice
Department of Education
Taco Bell Foundation
JC Pennies Afterschool Fund
Gainesville Community Foundation
Great Staff -Great Mentors
• Highly Trained & Motivated Staff
• 100% receive
• Local, state and federal background screening
• Finger printed (FBI)
• Mandatory Drug Test
• Annual CPR & First Aid Certification
• Trained in Child Abuse reporting
• Trained in HIV/infectious disease prevention
• Trained in Crisis Management
• All full time staff have a college degree
• (2 have masters and several P/T working on graduate degrees)
• All staff receive ongoing training through
• **Boys & Girls Clubs of America ‘s Leadership University
Does it work? Can we prove it?
Florida Tax Watch Research Institute
"An investment in our children is an investment into our future,” said Lt. Governor
Kottkamp. “The study’s results are proof that Florida’s Boys & Girls Clubs continue
to influence our young people and our economy, both for the better.”
Education and Behavioral Impact
The TAX Watch study showed that Boys & Girls Club members achieved:
Lower high school dropout rates.
Greater overall achievement levels in reading and math, according to the Florida
Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT).
Lower rates of absenteeism.
Lower rates of criminal offenses.