Latin Review For Quiz on Tuesday, March 4th!
Check answers after you finish!
WORD PARTS! (part 1)
1) –al = pertaining to
2) ad- = towards; to
3) –able= able to
4) di= two; in different directions
6) a = from; away (sometimes without!)
7) voc/voke= to call
8) in = into, within, not
9) ject= to throw
10) e= out, of
11) –ist = one who
12) ify and ise both mean to make
13) ate= do, make cause
14) per= badly, through
15) –ile= That which
16) vert= to turn
17) con = with; together
18) –ion = act of. state of, Condition of!
19) dica= to proclaim, set apart
20) ab= away from
Part 2: Newer word review
Please write the word that goes with each definition. Use your word parts!
21) evoke : to call out of; to call forth or up
22) ___Irrevocable_______: not able to be called back, can’t take it back
23) _____avocation_______: act or state of calling away; a hobby
24) ____convocation__: state of calling together; and assembly
25) vocation___ the act or state of calling; a job
Past word review: (part 3)
Please write the DEFINTION of the Latin word. Use your word parts!
26) advocate =_to make call towards, to plead on behalf of another, to support
27) diversify= to make turn in 2 directions, giver variety to
28) vociferous= full of voice, noisy
29) invocation= state or act of calling into, asking for help
30) versatile = that which turns many ways, performing well in many areas.
31) provoke=to call forward, to stir up, annoy
Part 4: Sentence writing
32) Please use the words irrevocable, and vocation to describe the pictures.
When Bob signed the contract, he knew that the amount he had to pay his lawyer was
irrevocable. It is the vocation of the lawyer to try to win the lawsuit!
33) Use diversion in your own sentence! The clever cat created a diversion to distract
his owner. He proceeded to eat his owner’s pizza.
Please use the words provoke, vociferous, and evoke to describe the pictures above.
The men began to argue over who should have a chocolate donut. One tried hard to
provoke the other. Their fight became quite vociferous, and several people heard
them. Who knew that donuts could evoke such strong emotions?