2. Knight Digital Media Center
What is it?
Partnership with USC Annenberg and UC
Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
Dedicated to helping good journalism and
good journalists thrive in the Digital Now
Funded by the Knight Foundation
Focuses on mid-career journalists
3. Knight Digital Media Center
What does it offer for you?
– For traditional journalists from print and broadcast
media who seek multimedia skill training
– For digitally fluent journalists who seek
professional development (USC)
4. Knight Digital Media Center
One-week “boot camps” (again in Berkeley)
– Produce publication-ready multimedia stories in
– Tutorials (e.g., on Adobe Photoshop)
– Training webcasts
– Forum threads on various topics
– Comprehensive list of links to new media
5. Web 2.0 Summit 2009
What is it?
– Invitation-only conference focusing on “Web 2.0”
Which begs the question: What is “Web 2.0”?
– Second generation of web development that
centers on facilitating communication
– Moves away from simply presenting info in static
webpages to dynamic and shareable content and
– Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
6. Web 2.0 Summit 2009
Next conference: October 20-22 in San
Theme: “Web Squared” (to reflect
exponential growth of Web 2.0 and its real-
Some seminars will be available online (2008
seminars are posted now)
Can sign up for newsletter or follow blog
7. Posting Video and Photos
Creative Commons: www.
Not sure how to do something? Ask YouTube!
8. Embedding Video and Photos
Picasa Web Albums
Google shows a link that reads "Embed in
Blog/MySpace." Check "Hide album link" and
copy the HTML code
Google resizes photo to 288 pixels width
(small). You can change the width to fixed
9. Video Embedded From YouTube
Now if only I had a nice digital SLR camera…