16. Buy higher-intensity light
bulbs and put them in every lamp in
1. Keep your lawn well-trimmed the house. They’ll make the rooms
andedged. Trim shrubs. Remove all seem warmer and brighter.
dead limbs and debris.
17. Brighten things with fresh
2. Plant some extra flowers for paint. It costs very little, and white,
color — or just put some pots of off-white, or beige walls make a room
flowers beside the front door. look bigger and lighter. They’re also
3. Put away lawn equipment. more likely to go with the new
Arrange outdoor items, such as buyer’s furnishings.
firewood or outdoor furniture, neatly. 18. Check all closets for neatly
4. Walk your fence line. Repair arranged clothes and as few items as
broken areas, and paint or stain spots possible stored on overhead shelves
in poor condition. and on floors.
5. Check surfaces such as siding, 19. Leave kitchen countertops
window sashes, trim, and shutters. as clear as you can. Arrange the inside
Touch-up with paint, or clean. of kitchen cabinets and cupboards in
an orderly manner.
6. Make sure the entry light and 20. Clean the oven and all
doorbell work. Paint, stain, or clean
the door if needed. appliances. Polish the chrome on the
sink. Polish the tub, toilet, and
7. Clean out debris in gutters. bathroom sink.
Touch up with paint if needed; realign
if crooked. 21. Go through the basement,
attic, and garage, and organize them
8. Check the roof for shingles so they appear as spacious, neat and
or flashing that needs replacing. clean as possible. It’s a great time to
9. Fix broken windows and have a garage sale!
screens.Wash them. 22. Launder draperies and
10. Wash driveways and sidewalks. curtains if needed.
Patch holes. 23. Shampoo carpets and wax
11. Replace faded house numbers floors. Consider replacing your
with shiny new brass ones. carpet if it really looks worn. You
People often buy a home based may not recover the costs, but your
12. If needed, repaint or replace on their feelings about it. home may sell faster.
If you’re intending to sell your 24. Get out your tool kit:
home, it’s important to keep this tighten loose doorknobs, pulls on
in mind: Regardless of your drawers and cabinets, towel racks,
13. Arrange the furniture and location and price, if something switch plates, and outlet covers. Fix
discard unused items so each room sticking doors and windows, squeaky
appears as spacious as possible. about your home ‘feels” wrong,
buyers will look elsewhere. doors, loose stair banisters, and the
14. No matter what the season, like. Replace cracked switch plates.
consider it spring and do your Get the competitive edge by Repair and clean caulking around
‘spring cleaning’. making sure all areas of your tubs and sinks. Fix leaky faucets;
home are shipshape before remove water stains.
15. Clean all your windows and putting it on the market.
mirrors so they sparkle.