● This community has diverse interests--
people get involved in OSM for a lot of
reasons. Learn about them!
● Mapping is a solitary task; it's easy to go
down rabbit holes and forget about the
● It can only help the project to establish
more in-person hubs
■ Real Talk: I love OSM, but the mailing list
discourse isn’t always as constructive as it
■ Building real world connections can help
■ Bottom-up approach to global
■ A healthier community won’t
spontaneously create itself
■ This isn’t scary. (But don’t let anyone tell
you it’s easy!)
■ If you don’t get pick-up, that’s ok. Try
again. Rethink your approach. Reach out
for suggestions. (More on this later)
■ It’s also ok if it doesn’t work out. Every
place has unique challenges.
Just Do It!
● Find other mappers
● Spread the word
● Keep it going
● New York City
● San Francisco
● Tampa Bay
● St. Louis
● Salt Lake City
Where are the local communities?
These aren't all exclusively OSM-focused,
and that's ok too. More on that later.
● ito! OSM Mapper
● Pascal's OSM Contributors Map
● talk-us mailing list (but try the
Find people in your area
● No one says you can't have a wider scope
● Some of the largest, most active groups
● This is probably an easier way to get
All OSM all the time?
● Connect with other groups and
○ Environmental groups
○ Tech groups
○ Others (KCDC)
● Don't try this alone!
● No, seriously: don't forget to reassess
your community's needs.
Keeping things going
● Try to have at least one co-organizer
● Don't be afraid to ask for help or
resources from your community
● What type of programming or schedule
can you realistically support?
● Make sure it's fun for YOU! Take a break
if you need it.
● How can we help each other build
stronger local communities?
● How can our local communities
strengthen the national one?
● How can the US community better
collaborate with communities around the
Let’s talk about it
● Amsterdam Geo
● Mappers in
● OSM France in
● OSM meetup in
Local Communities in Europe
● Save Community, Save OSM
● Communities are special snowflakes
● Take care of yourself
● Community Scales