2. UGH! Please…not a group assignment Create synergy and better ideas Unexpected solutions to problems Mimic real world work teamsSynergy: The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect isgreater than the sum of their individual effects.
3. Ditch the baggage One person ends up doing all the work Real brilliance gets hidden by groupthink The project melts down and everyone gets a bad grade
4. Some things stay the same Read and understand the assignment Clarify due dates Review the grading criteria/rubric Ask questions NOW
5. Running a group—logistics Contact information Communications leader Time keeper Recorder Meeting date/place
6. Running a group—clarify Discuss the scope of the project & goals Divide and assign Encourage open discussion and healthy disagreement Never end meetings without “next step” plans in place
7. Contact your instructor… Free rider problem Illness, technology breakdown or emergency Questions about course material Inappropriate behavior
8. Pulling a project together Edit Practice
9. Final tips and reminders A meeting is a meeting Technology breaks down It’s all fun and games…until someone gets a bad grade.
10. Want more info? Contact me. http://www.karensouthallwatts.com/