TO The Presentation ON “ GREEN MANURING” K.G.R.CHOWDARY WELCOME
- Green Manuring of crops results in spectacular increase in crop production. Besides nitrogen, green manure also supplies micro-nutrients and organic matter to the soil. It is the poor farmer’s manure.
IMPORTANCE OF GREEN MANURING
- Green manuring contributes 40 to 80 kg nitrogen per ha.
- Besides supplying nitrogen, it prevents loss of nitrogen by leaching and erosion.
- Vigorous root system of green manure keeps the soil particles bound together.
- Green manure reclaims saline and alkaline soils
- Some green leaf manure crops serve as fodder
- The growth of green manure crops is very fast.
CROPS FOR GREEN MANURING
- Green manuring is of two types :
- 1. Green leaf manuring crops.
- 2. Green manuring in situ crops.
GREEN LEAF MANURING CROPS
GREEN MANURING IN SITU CROPS
EFFECT OF GREEN MANURING
- Green manures increases soil fertility.
- Green manures develops soil structure.
- Green manuring enhances organic matter in the soil.
- Green manures play an effective role in reclamation of saline and alkaline soils.