1. Welcome toSlp pd sessionWhat we plan to cover inour fortnightly sessions:
2. Session 1: > GEALI – what is it and what are they?? > Teaching as Inquiry > What are the COMPREHENSION STRATEGIES? > What do GOOD READERS DO? The 3 Stages ofReading – and how the strategies fit into them.> Pre reading: Looking at strategies for activatingpriorknowledge – DVD> Have a go… anticipatory guide strategy – a lookat ESOL website.
3. TEACHING as INQUIRY http://englishonline.tki.org.nz/English- Online/Teaching-as-inquiry2
4. Some Strategies online http://englishonline.tki.org.nz/English- Online/Teacher-needs/Pedagogy/Cross- curricular-strategies/Teaching- approaches-and- strategies/Vocabulary/Structured- overview
5. Making Language andLearning Work: DVD Chapter 3 and Chapter 9 – Activating Prior Knowledge
6. A look at VOCABULARY:Structured overview (handout) help learners group related vocabulary. Learners should place a topic at the top of the organizer. Then they break out main objects, characteristics, actions, etc. into each category. Finally, students fill in the categories with the related vocabulary. Make sure that this vocabulary relates back to the main topic.
7. Hand out Sheena Cameronbooks:Looking at ‘Prior Knowledge’ strategiesGive it a go before our next session in 2weeks time