2. INTRODUCTIONImagine you love to read comic books; you are a big fan of a super hero’s league called the “Avenging Heroes”It occurs to you that no one ever seems to focus on the real problems in the world. If you ever had the chance, you would certainly make some changes, but what would they be, how can you make a difference when there is so much social injustice in the world?
3. One day you are lying on your bed, thinking about this injustice and all of a sudden you fall asleep.The last thing you remember before you blank out is a strange, shrinking sensation. Opening your eyes, you blink blearily around you, trying to focus on your surroundings.
4. You are startled as a strange person in a blue suit appears out of no where, "Oh my God!" you cry, realizing at once that this person is one of the Avenging Heroes and that you are inside a comic book!The man, who is the head of the Heroes, takes you to a large meeting place and introduces you to the rest of the Avenging Heroes and strangely enough, some of your classmates! You can’t believe it! You are a super hero who belongs to a group that fights against injustice.
5. They are having a meeting where they are talking about the different vulnerable groups in Mexico, and the injustices they are going through.They mention that their rights are being violated.They say that this should not be happening in Mexico, but sadly it is; so the Avenging Heroes decide that something should be done. So you and your team receive a mission.
6. The head of the group announces to all of you that your mission is to: Investigate the Rights of the Child, handicapped people, ethnic groups, senior citizens, women, and rights for immigrants. (You will investigate the rights of the group you were assigned in class) Design a cartoon (comic) about the plight of the group your team was chosen to help. Create a puppet play. TIME FOR ACTION: Decide how you can help make a difference, how you can assist the “Avenging Heroes” in your part of the world.
7. 1. Divide into partners and brainstorm what a “Right of the vulnerable group” could mean. Write down your ideas.2. Write down a list of rights you have in Mexico. Which rights are most important to you and why? Do we all in Mexico have the same rights? Write down your thoughts!3. Why do you think the UN General Assembly had to write down these Rights?
8. 4. Once you have gathered all the information, its time to start your cartoon/comic. Think of one special situation your “vulnerable group” has and how, as a “super hero”, who is a member of the “Avenging Heroes”, can help them. This will be done individually. One of the first things you need for a great comic is to have a theme according to the vulnerable group you are doing your research on. Remember you are a super hero, so think of a great hero who helps and fights against injustices done to the vulnerable group. The comic’s title should attract your audience, inform your readers, summarize your ideas AND show creative work! In order to do this task, you will need to download “COMIC LIFE 2” YOU WILL FIND THE APPS IN THE BLOG. YOUR COMIC HAS TO BE 4 PAGES LONG
9. 5. Once you have investigated all there is to know about your Right of the vulnerable group; and have created your individual task (cartoon/comic), as a team you have to prepare a puppet show explaining special situations that your “vulnerable group” has to endure. (more information for this task will be given to you by the head of the Avenging Heroes in class) It is time to PERFORM!
10. SOME USEFUL SITES:http://www.un.org/Pubs/CyberSchoolBus/http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/http://lanic.utexas.edu/la/region/hrights/http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/womensrights. htmhttp://www.unicef.org/crcartoons/