1. Prof. Julio Palma
UNIVERSIDAD DEL ZULIA
NÚCLEO LUZ COSTA ORIENTAL
• What is a PLN?
• Essentials of a PLN
• Dynamics of a PLN
• Why do teachers need a PLN?
• 5 Steps for a successful PLN
• PLN Management tools
3. WHAT IS A PLN?
A Personal Learning Network refers to the
online tools, global community and web
resources available to teachers within a social
virtual environment in order to pursue
interests in the field of language education so
as to boost their autonomous professional
4. ESSENTIALS OF A PLN
5. ESSENTIALS OF A PLN
2. Social Networks
6. 3. DIGITAL ARTIFACTS
• Microblogging content
• Comments / discussions
• Blog posts
• Wiki entries
• Photos, graphics or other image files
• Podcast or audio files
• Multimedia presentations
7. DYNAMICS OF A PLN
8. WHAT IS CURATION?
Content curation is the process of sorting through the vast
amounts of content on the web and presenting it in a
meaningful and organized way around a specific theme.
- See more at: http://www.bethkanter.org/content-curation-101/#sthash.uI8TRgle.dpuf
Digital curation is the selection,
preservation, maintenance, collection and archiving of
digital assets. Wikipedia.org
9. GLOBAL LEARNING COMMUNITY
10. WHY DO TEACHERS NEED A PLN?
11. WHY DO TEACHERS NEED A PLN?
• You can connect with peers and specialists far beyond your local
• You get feedback, advice and support from experts in your field.
• Keep informed and up-to-date of the trends in your career.
• It allows collaboration, global participation in a connected world.
• Your knowledge base grows far more diverse and deep.
• As you get to know new people, you are able to create new
• It is a key element in your autonomous professional development
• It increases your reputation as a reliable resource among your
• It builds and expand your online presence.
• It′s free!
12. 5 STEPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL PLN
1. Establish a permanent online identity and space which
includes your bio and professional interests.
18. STEPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL PLN
2. Follow the people in your area of interest.
International Big Leaguers
Specialists in your country
Experts in your continent
Find book authors online
Bloggers, Critics, Fans, Peers.
19. SPECIALISTS IN EFL, ESL, AND LANGUAGE TEACHING
( T O N A M E J U S T A F E W )
24. Med Kharbackhttp://www.educatorstechnology.com/
26. Russel Stannard – Training Videos
31. INSTITUTIONS, ORGANIZATIONS AND
35. RESEARCH GROUPS
37. BOOKMARKING GROUPS
38. STEPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL PLN
3. Subscribe to blogs, newesletters, RSS, and Media Widgets.
39. STEPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL PLN
4. Nourish your online presence with your digital artifacts.
• Blog posts
• Blog comments
40. PUBLICATIONS FOR TEACHERS
42. Content curation and sharing tools