After the class is registered, RESPECT International will stand as the connector. Letters will then be exchanged be tween individuals and read in the classrooms. In many cases aid will be requested by the refugees and the class can decide as a unit if they want to get involved.
In many ways individuals can become zoned in on his or her own issues and forget about the world around them. By developing a relationship with people across the globe one gets the opportunity to engage a different culture and receive as broader worldview.
1. Global Service Learning Project ProposalJacqueline Smith, Terrence Veal, Angela Williams, and Kimberly McDonald EDL/510 June 18, 2012 Stephanie Moreno
2. Global Service Learning Project ProposalGlobal service learning opportunities can bridge gaps among students from all over the world. These opportunities allow for students to proactively make a difference forcommunities across the globe. Students can be exposed toissues and real-world problems that students in other partsof the world are facing in their communities. In the following, there is a proposal for a global service learning project forAmerican students to learn about and contribute to the lives of refugee students around the world.
3. Global Service Learning Project: Ideas Considered Children Helping Children UNICEFJUMP( Juveniles Use Media Power) Making Friends.com Children to Children
4. Global Service Learning Project: Rationale for Chosen Idea After researching a number of global service learning projects, including the aforementioned list of projects, the learning team chose RESPECT INTERNATIONAL. RESPECT INTERNATIONAL appealed to the team as a distinct global service learning opportunity for students for the following reasons: To increase awareness of refugee issues among non-refugee students in participating countries. To build bridges between non-refugee students and refugee students through pen- pal letter exchange. To encourage students to act to raise awareness of refugee issues and to raise some funds for their refugee school.
5. Global Service Learning Project: Outline for Key Points RESPECT International has representatives located worldwide RESPECT International is owned and operated by a board of directors (all volunteers) Students and volunteers can help refugees by participating in the letter exchange, writing articles, holding fundraisers, and tutoring classes through RESPECT International University All funding goes toward the improvement of Refugee awareness
6. Global Service Learning Project: Implementation in the Classroom The online form must completed Respect International will package letters from refugee students and forward them A video will be watched in class focusing on refugee- related information After the class is registered, RESPECT International will stand as the connector. Letters will then be exchanged be tween individuals and read in the classrooms. In most cases aid will be requested by the refugees and the class can decide as a class how they are able to contribute
7. Global Service Learning Project: Effects on Global LearningIn many countries around the world, living conditions are unsatisfactory.There are numerous ways students can help improve the lives of others by creating global service learning projects. These projects allowstudents to learn important information about issues and events globallywithin the classroom. Students are able to communicate through the use of technology. They learn to RESPECT others and appreciate the automatic freedoms people in other countries die for everyday. The ultimate goal is to produce global citizens with knowledge of the world; not to solve every issue, but instead help provide resources for a solution.
8. Global Service Learning Project: Effects on the World The creation of a worldwide network The possibility of educating individuals across the globe Being able to grow along with individuals across the globe Taking actions in helping refugees in many countries
9. Global Service Learning Project: Effects on the World (cont.)In many ways students can become zoned into their ownissues and become closed to the world around them. Bydeveloping a relationship with people across the globe students have the opportunity to engage in different cultures and obtain a broader worldview.
10. Conclusion Global Service Learning Projects are very important to ourteachers and students. It gives us a true picture of who we are as individuals, and allow us to help those around the world who are in need help. Global Service Learning Projects allow for teachers to expose to students the value of respecting the differences in others, particularly the unique cultures and beliefs of those across the globe.
11. ReferencesRespect International. (2012). Retrieved fromhttp://www.respectrefugees.org/about.shtmlGlobal Learning Research.(2002) Retrieved from http:// my- coach.com/online/webresourcelist.php?rlid=6499Respect International (2012). Retrieved from http://respectinternational.org/home/index.php?module=pa gemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=5&MMN _position=5:5