PROJECTO CONHECER(“To Know” Project) RacingPigeons, for a SportwithFuture…
Summary Despite all efforts made by racing pigeon enthusiasts and society members, we felt that our sport and namely the homing pigeon, are yet insufficiently or totally unknown by the general public, and in many cases homing pigeons are erroneously associated with other species of Columbidae.
- Promotion of the Racing Pigeon Sport, has been the primary need felt and transmitted by the homing pigeon sportsmen and enthusiasts - The Racing Pigeon Sport is one of the main national sports. However, beyond the sporting domain, it has also social, cultural and recreative potentialities which can raise up this pigeon to highly distinguished levels
This presentation pretends to be the groundwork to all those who want to take part in a great project of divulge and bring out the Racing Pigeon Sport
We all have an extensive knowledge about racing pigeons, but we haven’t been capable of transmitting the message
Today and in the future, to youngsters, the alternatives to the racing pigeons sport are multiple, appealing and modern
We all know the difficulties, but we haven’t been able to overcome them?
How many of us leave a successor in his pigeon loft?
- How many of us have been able to bring a youngster to the sport?
“To Know Project” (Projecto Conhecer)
With “To Know Project” (ProjectoConhecer), we aim to:
Bring out our “Flying Athlete”, the racing pigeon Divulge his features, capabilities, as well as the Racing Pigeon Sport to all population, particularly to youngsters
To build a database with information about the homing pigeon and the Racing Pigeon Sport It should be developed in stages and with precise objectives, taking in account the local, regional, national and international realities and their potential Where all the interested can collect information in order to use it in the path of the great objective Divulge and bring out the homing pigeon and the Racing Pigeon Sport
World Wide Web
Sites, blogs and e-mail - Media Development and issuing of articles in local, regional and national newspapers and magazines Reports, interviews and interventions on radio stations and television
Photographs, videos and DVDs
Issues 1. History of the homing pigeon: Military - DuringWorldWar II, 2 pigeonsreceivedtheDickinMedal . TheIrishPaddyandtheAmerican G. I. Joewereamong 32 pigeons to receivethismedallion, for theirgallantryandbraveryinsavinghumanliveswiththeiractions. Sports - The modern racing pigeon has been developed over the past 150 years to fly farther and faster and more often than any performances imaginable. Social/Civilian - Homingpigeonswerestillemployedinthe 21st centurybycertainremotepolicedepartmentsinIndia to provideemergencycommunicationservicesfollowing natural disasters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homing_pigeon
2. Features of the Homing Pigeon: Outstandingabilityofnavigation – Mostresearchersbelievethathomingabilityisbasedon a "mapandcompass" model. Whilethecompassmechanismappears to relyonthesun, themapmechanismhasbeenhighlydebated
Outstandingspeed– Theiraverageflyingspeedovermoderatedistancesisaround 48 km/h (30 mph), buttheycanachieveburstsofspeedup to about 95 km/h (59 mph) Outstanding resistance – Flights as long as 1800 kilometershavebeenrecordedbybirdsincompetition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homing_pigeon
3. Racing Pigeons Sport: Characterization and Implementation: International – http://www.fcipigeons.com National (Portugal) – www.fpcolumbofilia.pt Regional Associations – http://www.columbofilia.net/Columbofilia.aspx?cmbass=14 Private pigeon lofts – http://www.columbofilia.net/Columbofilos.aspx Racing Pigeon Loft Villages Pigeon lofts in Schools Pigeon lofts in community and social centers
Pigeon Lofts (champions, good examples, public figures, schools, community centres…)
Local clubs and regional associations
(installations and functioning) - Means of transport (pigeon trucks…) - Pigeon departures and arrivals in contests and trainings - Racing Pigeon enthusiast meetings and award winning ceremonies - Pigeon exhibitions
SpreadingtheInformation via e-mail Information should be simple, appealing and attractive Did you know that… In Portugal, Racing Pigeon Sport is practiced by more than 16 000 enthusiasts, organized in 763 clubs (530 active) and 15 district/regional associations (including Azores and Madeira islands)?
Did you know that… In Portugal and the World, public figures were Racing Pigeon enthusiasts: - Sports Bento, José Peseiro, Chalana, José Torres… - Science Prof. Dr. Rodrigues Branco, Prof. Dr. Andrade Gouveia… - Society QueenElizabeth II, PrinceAlFaiçal, Mariano Palacios
Did you know that… Racing Pigeons Sport has categories like some Olympic Sports: - Short distance/ Velocity (from 150 to 300 kms) - Medium distance (from 301 to 500 kms) - Long distance (from 501 to 800 kms) - Very long distance (more than 800 kms)
Did you know that… - Pigeon lofts canbeequippedwithelectronicsystems, in order to register the arrival of pigeons duringcompetitions?
- Thesesystemsregister the exact time when the pigeon enters the loft? - Racing pigeons are obligated to use an official ring with a number, which matches a card, in manywayslike a humancitizencard?
- National Pigeon Federationsconduct an annualcensus of theirracing pigeons, and pigeon enthusiasts ?
Did you know that… - The Homing Pigeon is the animal with the most developed sense of navigation/orientation? - The Homing Pigeon is the most faithful animal to his family? When released more than 1000 km, can return to his home loft in the same day.
The Homing Pigeon can return to the place where he was raised several years later?
- The Homing Pigeon is the only specie from 296 Columbidae species, that has these unique capabilities?
Did you know that… - The competitions are organized in local, regional, national and international championships (ex.: European Championship, World Championship and Olympic Championship)? - The Homing Pigeon has a special food, depending on his age and competitive category? - To feed the baby pigeons, the Homing Pigeon produces a special milk, which is high in proteins and fats? This milk allows the baby pigeon to gain weight rapidly after his birth
Did you know that…
- The Racing Pigeon is an athlete that can fly at about 90 km/h to a maximum of 120 km/h? - This athlete has daily care and special attention by his owner? - The Racing Pigeons have vaccines and vitamins? - The Homing Pigeons have a weekly bath with mineral salts?
Final Thoughts What we just considered, are some ideas that need to be developed. However, these thoughts can grow and become the cornerstone of news, facts and curiosities that can be transmitted to the target populations.
Final Thoughts Each and every one of us can and should divulge the Racing Pigeon: To friendsTo neighbors To fellow colleaguesTo known personsTo friends of friends….
Final Thoughts It is essential to promote and encourage Racing Pigeons Sport, closely working with schools, municipal services, sports, cultural and social associations…
Final Thoughts - Homing Pigeon Virtual Museum Database with photos, documents and historical material - Video Library Homing Pigeon video resources - Posting Homing Pigeon videos online
Racing Pigeons School for Beginners
Baby pigeons development, racing pigeons selection, training, feeding and reproduction - Racing Pigeon Health School - Racing Pigeon Technical and Sports School
The Racing Pigeon Sport of tomorrow… has to be practiced today and everyday, by each and everyone of this passion enthusiasts
- “More One” Campaign The great mission and challenge of each Racing Pigeon Sport affiliate, is to attract a youngster for this activity
To modernize the structure is crucial, but more important are our constructive attitudes and rigorous procedures, towards an audacious future of our sport
Final Thoughts To implement the Homing Pigeon Sport of leisure:
Small pigeon lofts in the garden or backyard, where children could assume responsibility and earn a sense of belonging; and to elders that like Homing Pigeons, but can’t own Racing Pigeon loft’s
To establish the International Day of Homing Pigeon, celebrating on the World Peace Day
The Future of The Racing Pigeon Sport does not depend on others, but of each and everyone of us.