BUCHAREST Bucharest, most important town of Romania, the principal political, administrative, economic, financial, banking, educational, scientific and cultural centre of the country. Located in S-SE Romania, at an altitude of 60-90 m, on the Dâmbovita and Colentina rivers, at 44°25'50" Latitude North and 26°06'50" Longitude East, at about the same latitude as Belgrade, Geneva, Bordeaux, Minneapolis, and the same longitude as Helisinki and Johannesburg. The town has an area of 228 sq. km. and a population of 2,021,000 (on 01.01.1998), accounting for 9% of the total population and for 15% of the urban one. In terms of population size, Bucharest ranks third in the region after Athens and Istambul.
Some photos with Bucharest in the past
Bucharest in the present
Palace of the Parliament
The Palace of the Parliament is a multi-purpose building containing both chambers of the Romanian Parliament. According to the Guinness Book of World Records , the Palace is the world's largest civilian administrative building, most expensive administrative building, and heaviest building.
The Palace measures 270 m by 240 m, 86 m high, and 92 m under ground. It has 1,100 rooms, 2 underground parking and is 12 stories tall, with four additional underground levels currently available and in use, with another four in different stages of completion.
The Palace was designed and nearly completed by the Ceausescu regime as the seat of political and administrative power. Nicole Ceausescu named it the House of the Republic (Casa Republicii), but many Romanians call it the People's House (Casa Poporului). After the Romanian Revolution of 1989 , completing the building was no longer a priority, and the building remains unfinished.
The Romanian Academy was founded on 1/13 April 1866 under the name of the Romanian Literary Society. Thus was achieved one of the main projects in the program of modernization adopted after the 1859 Union of the two Romanian Principalities, Wallachia and Moldavia, the nucleus of present-day Romania.
It passes through Bucharest and flows into the Arges River 258 Kilometres from its source, near Budesti , in Calarasi County . Dambovita County is named after the river.
For centuries, Dâmboviţa River was the main source of drinking water for the city of Bucharest. While there were a few dozen water wells , most of the water in Bucharest was distributed by water-carriers.
Dâmboviţa has never been navigable , but there has been an unsuccessful attempt in 1902 to introduce boats on the river.
Early in its history, Bucharest had few bridges over the Dâmboviţa, as the right bank was only sparsely populated. The estates of some boyars used to extend on both banks of the river and they had footbridges. Currently, there are about a dozen bridges over Dâmboviţa River in Bucharest.
The triumph arch
The first triumph arch was built in a hurry, in 1878, for the parade of the troops returning from the independence war. Because it was built out of light materials, it has been deteriorated after a while. A new Provisional construction was occasioned by the parade of 1922 of the Romanian troops participant in the first world war, for the implementation of the unitary national statute. Reconstructed out of rock, in 1935-1936, after the plans of the architect Petre Antonescu, the monument has a classical appearance, being covered with sculptures in rock and inscriptions realized by Ion Jalea, Cornel Medrea and Constantin Baraschi
"St. Anton" Princely Church
situated on 22bis, Sepcari street
it is considered the oldest building in Bucharest
founded by the ruling prince Mircea Ciobanul, 1545-1554
between 1558-1559 he rebuilt the Voivode Court where he established his residence
his sons Patrascu Voda, Radu and Mihnea Turcitul continued the work
the church suffered damages, restorations and modifications
Matei Basarab restored it after it had been set on fire and plundered (1611)
plundered again by the Tartar and Turk invasion, it was rebuilt by voivodes:
Grigore Ghica, 1660-1664
Gheorghe Duca, 1673-1678
National Theatre Bucharest
It was founded as the Grand Theatre of Bucharest in 1852, its first director being Costache Caragiale . It became a national institution in 1864 by a decree of Prime Minister Mihail Kogalniceanu , and was officially named as the National Theatre in 1875; it is now administered by the Romanian Ministry of Culture.
The current National Theatre is located about half a kilometre away from the old site, just south of the Hotel Intercontinental at Piata Universitatii (University Square), and has been in use since 1973 .
Bucharest's first international hotel provides its guests with the level of service and comfort that comes hand in hand with the name Inter-Continental. Three quality restaurants offer a choice of international and traditional Romanian cuisine. Recently renovated meeting facilities and a newly rennovated fitness centre, comprising a heated indoor pool, a sauna and a beauty clinic, are all adding up touches of luxury not so easily found in this part of the world.
When the traffic is very heavy the romanian people use the underground.
The Voievodal Palace
In the heart of the capital, across from the University, one finds a mansion that stands out from all its surrounding buildings, and that houses the Museum of the Municipality of Bucharest. But the inhabitants of Bucharest know this building best as "Sutu Palace", once part of the vast Cantacuzino property, a gift of Matei Basarab to Elina, daughter of Radu Serban and wife of the Court Marshall, Constantin Cantacuzino.
The village museum
"Grigore Antipa" Museum
The public mission of the Grigore Antipa National Museum of Natural History is to study bio-diversity, starting with its own collections, and to transfer specific knowledge to the public, aiming towards its education as well as its entertainment. The Museum�s target is to circulate information regarding both Romanian and worldwide fauna, and to turn the attention
of a large audience towards contemporary issues related to the protection of natural environments and conservation of various habitats.