2. Effective Internet Marketing• Why market your business online?• Why Google?• Research, Review, Plan, Measure• Onsite Optimisation• Offsite Optimisation• Summary• Questions
3. What is Internet Marketing?• “Internet marketing, also referred to as i-marketing, web- marketing, online-marketing, or e-Marketing, is the marketing of products or services over the Internet.”• en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_marketing• Websites• Social Media• Other Online Presence• Email Marketing
4. Why Market Your Business Online?• The internet economy is worth £100 Billion to the UK• It has over taken Transport, Construction and Utilities• Small businesses online sales raise on average 43%• The number of internet users grow.• 73% of British home have Broadband and 30% of users access the web from their phones.• Britain is 6th in the Internet League Table• We export 3x as much as we import from the Internet.• Source: Connected Britain.
5. Effective Internet Marketing Can:• Increase growth opportunities• Increase visibility Improve conversions• Grow existing markets• Reach new markets• Develop new products and services• Increase credibility• Reduce costs / Add value
6. What Makes a Good Website?• Easy to find and attractive to customers• Meets customer requirements• Gives credibility to your business• Converts prospects to leads & customers• Provides return on investment• Works efficiently with/for the business
7. Why Google?• Google is still the number one search engine• Moving toward personalised, localised,real-time & visual searching.• Constantly changing, updating and growing• Plenty of free tools to help market your business.Why should I be on the first page?• 50% of searchers do not go past the first page• Less than 10% go past the second page
8. Why Google?
9. The Three Keys to Web Marketing RRPM Offsite Onsite
10. Review your site.• Check the position• Check Keywords• Check Links• Check Call to Actions• Check Navigation
11. Monitor Your Site• How many people visit your site?• How do they find your site?• What are they looking at once they get there?• Where do they stop looking?• How much money do they spend on your site?• How much time do they spend on the site?• How many visits convert into sales/enquiries?• How do these compare to the targets set in the business objectives?
12. If you only take one thing away from today...Get....
13. Google Analytics: Where are you?
14. Research: KeywordsGoogle Keyword Tool
15. Research: Choosing Keywords• Think like a customer• Think laterally• Brainstorm Keywords• Ask everyone• Search using your keywords and see what appears• Use the free Google keyword tool/Insights• Kgen/Wordtracker• Analytics
16. Research: Keywords
17. Onsite Optimisation: SEOSearch Engine Optimisation (SEO) How?• Keywords and Phrases• Navigation• Design/BuildSearch Engine Optimisation (SEO) Why?• It is a detailed analysis of content and layout• It is not an option if you want to be on the first page• Not a one off, it is an ongoing process
18. Onsite Optimisation: Keywords
19. Onsite Optimisation: Keywords• 1:HTML Page Title This is what will be catalogued - about 80 characters • 3 or 4 keywords • Make each page title relevant to each particular page• 2:Meta Page Description • Limit to around 150 characters • Use on every page • Customise for each page• 3:Header Tags• 4:Page Content
20. Onsite Optimisation: Keywords• 5:File / Image Names• 6:ALT Attributes • Every Image needs one • Build Keyword Count • Comply with Disability Discrimination Act - Accessibility• 7:Navigation & Navigation Link Anchor Text• 8:URLs
21. Onsite Optimisation: Call to ActionWhat you need is......
22. Onsite Optimisation: Call to Action•Click here to buy•Call this number•Click here to see more•Contact us here•SALE
23. Onsite Optimisation: Call to ActionMaximise Sales: The Amazon way• Customers who bought this item also bought…..• Suggest accessories, products that compliment the one they havepicked
24. Onsite Optimisation: Design/Build Grab their ATTENTION Generate an INTEREST Build the DESIRE Promote the ACTION• Visitors don’t read – they scan• Visitors need to “get it” almost instantly• Visitors need to know you can meet their needs• Visitors need to know WHY they should use you• Visitors need to TOLD what to do
25. Offsite Optimisation:• SEM – Search Engine Marketing – Attracting Attention• Link Building• Directories• Local Search• Forums/Reviews• Blogging/RSS• Email Marketing• PPC• Social Media• Video Marketing
26. Offsite Optimisation: Link BuildingVolume:• Directories• Blog Postings• Forums• Complimentary Sites• Press• Happy Customers...?• Must be relevant
27. Offsite Optimisation: Link BuildingAuthority:• BBC• Government• Governing Bodies• Universities• Local Councils• National Press• Dmoz.org
28. Offsite Optimisation: Link BuildingVelocity:• How quickly is your site getting fresh new links to the site.• The higher the velocity, the higher the ranking.
29. Offsite Optimisation: Link BuildingAnchor Text:• Instead of using the URL, use a hyperlink on text• Gives the opportunity to use keywords and phrases• Allows the SE to relate the link to the keywords.
30. Offsite Optimisation: Local Search
31. Offsite Optimisation: Local Search
32. Offsite Optimisation: Product Search
33. Offsite Optimisation: Selling
34. Offsite Optimisation: Directories
35. Offsite Optimisation: Social Media
36. Offsite Optimisation: Social Media• Now Mainstream – Can’t Afford not to engage!• Stay in touch with existing clients• Reach out to new audiences and markets• Better understanding of related markets• Relative low cost of entry• Possible high return
37. Offsite Optimisation: Social Media Reach new audiences• Facebook 700m+ - The Big One• Twitter 200m - Anybody• LinkedIn 100m - Business• Foursquare 10m - Location based
38. Offsite Optimisation: Twitter
39. Offsite Optimisation: Twitter
40. Offsite Optimisation: Facebook
41. Offsite Optimisation: LinkedIn
42. Offsite Optimisation: Blogs
43. Offsite Optimisation: BlogsWhy• An easy way to update latest news• An informal way of communicating• Helps with the search engine position of your website• Opens your business to a wider audience• Helps keep your clients updatedWhen• When you have something to sell• When you have something new to offer• When something changes
44. Offsite Optimisation: BlogsWhen• When you have something to sell• When you have something new to offer• When something changes• When you have some news• When you have something to say
45. Offsite Optimisation: Video Marketing
46. Offsite Optimisation: Pay Per Click
47. Offsite Optimisation: Pay Per Click
48. Offsite Optimisation: Pay Per Click• search engines, websites, portals, social networks• Training – online or locally• Research key phrases & competition• Monitor campaigns & sales• Manage budgets & timescales• Presentation – highest quality & best value• Focus on high performing niche key phrases• Be aware of negative keywords
49. Offsite Optimisation: Email Marketing
50. Offsite Optimisation: Email Marketing• Remind Customers that you exist• Promote new services, products, offers and sales• Build customer loyalty• Create email vouchers• Have proper Software, they look more professional and are less likely to get stuck in Spam.
51. Offsite Optimisation: Email MarketingEmail Marketing – The Law• Pre-existing relationship• Opt in or Double Opt in• Sender is clearly identified• Unsubscribe instructions with EVERY email• No consent = SPAM• Anti-Spam laws apply to Individuals email@example.com = individual firstname.lastname@example.org = corporate
52. Offsite Optimisation: Email Marketing Top 10 Email Marketing Tips 1. Keep your database clean 2. Use a from name your subscribers will recognise 3. Don’t be a spammer 4. Be relevant 5. Consider your preview pane 6. Have a great call to action 7. Be succinct 8. Get your timing right 9. Test into a variety of email client 10. Evaluate your results
53. The Three Keys to Web Marketing RRPM Offsite Onsite
54. Effective Internet Marketing QUESTIONS
55. Effective Internet MarketingContact details: Jon GerrardEmail: email@example.comWebsite: www.jongerrard.comTwitter: www.twitter.com/jon_gerrardLinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/jongerrardOr just Google Jon Gerrard