Building A Better Company… One
Employee At A Time…
Outline Of Information
• Who is Johnson Machinery Company • Technician Opportunity Overview
• Who is Johnson Lift/HYSTER • The Future of Service Technicians
• Our Philosophy • Technician Career Paths
• Who is Hyster Company • Employee Benefit Summary
• What is The Material Handling • Technician Testimonials
• Do You Have What it Takes?
• Some of our Customers
• Johnson Machinery Company, located on 40 acres in east Riverside, is the headquarters
for Johnson Machinery Company’s five divisions and 14 locations. The earthmoving
division operates out of this facility, offering sales, parts, service and rentals of Caterpillar
heavy equipment for Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. The other four divisions
consist of Johnson Power Systems, Johnson Rental Services, EVERPAC and Johnson
• Johnson Power Systems sells and services engines for truck, marine and electric
generation applications. Johnson Power Systems also has the ability to supply natural gas
and diesel engines to meet any power need from generation for water pumping stations
and powering a rock crushing plant to diesel engines for buses and on-highway trucks.
This division employs a complete engineering staff and fabrication personnel for
specialized power generation systems.
• Johnson Rental Services has five locations and rents a complete line of equipment
ranging in size from large earthmoving machines to smaller hand tools for the contractor on
virtually every type of job site.
• Ever-Pac is a full service machine shop specializing in precision machining and salvage
repair of major makes of components and engines. Ever-Pac’s capabilities include vertical
boring, line boring, grinding, welding and custom machine work. In addition, other
applications are rebuilding hydraulic cylinder rods, repairing engine blocks, building up
shafts and housings. Ever-Pac can rebuild or recondition virtually any machine component
as a responsible alternative to purchasing a new component.
THE Market Leader For Today
and The Future…
• Johnson Machinery Company entered the material handling market in
1976. The Johnson Lift/HYSTER division is headquartered in the City
• In 1992, Johnson Lift acquired the Hyster product line. To reflect the
new acquisition, the division changed its name to Johnson
Lift/HYSTER. With 3 decades of material handling experience in
Southern California, Johnson Lift/HYSTER provides unmatched
knowledge, resources and support for it’s thousands of customers.
• Johnson Lift/HYSTER is the Hyster forklift dealer for Southern
California, northern Arizona and Baja California, Mexico. Our branch
locations include: Industry, Riverside, Anaheim, Oxnard, San Diego
and El Centro. Where ever our customers are, in whatever industry,
Johnson Lift/HYSTER is following with resources that are second to
210 + employees
110 + technicians with an average a tenure of over 10
25 + outside sales representatives
600 + rental trucks
20 + parts counter personnel
The largest parts inventory in the industry
State of the art facilities
Management that listens, and cares about it’s employees
• Since 1940, when Johnson Tractor Company opened its doors, the company
has been dedicated to the best quality products and service to its customers.
• Ruel Johnson purchased Freeland Tractor & Equipment Company in 1940.
The country was emerging from the Depression and business was slow. As the
nation recovered, so did the equipment industry. Agricultural businesses
purchased new farming machinery, and contractors purchased equipment to
build houses, roads and freeways.
• Over the sixty-plus years of business, customer equipment needs have
changed from primarily agricultural to heavy construction and industrial use. In
1986, the company changed its name to Johnson Machinery Company to
reflect this evolution.
• Johnson Machinery Company now serves the heavy equipment, power
generation, and material handling needs of the Inland Empire and Southern
California. The company has grown from the original 12 employees to over
550, and remains dedicated to offering the best quality products and service to
its customers on the market today.
• Throughout the sixty-plus year history of Johnson Machinery
Company, there has been a single over-riding theme: “Treat people
fairly, whether customer or associate. Provide good products and
service at responsible prices.”
• Johnson Machinery Company management recognized that the
success of the past is directly related to these policies. Thousands of
past customers return to Johnson Machinery Company and it’s
divisions regularly to do business again because they like the
treatment they received the last time around.
• It’s a winning formula established long ago by a man who had faith in
himself, in the future of the Inland Empire and Southern California, and
in his son, Bill Johnson (now president of the Company). With faith so
strong and soundly based, the next sixty-plus years at Johnson
Machinery should be as growth-centered as the first. We’re looking
forward to them, and hope you will consider being a part of our future
Hyster Company Leads
• Hyster Company has been manufacturing forklifts since 1929. Hyster is a division of
NACCO industries, a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange.
• Hyster Company is the largest full line forklift manufacturer in the world today. Their
current product range covers over 130 models for every industry and application.
The forklifts range in size from 2,500# to 115,000#, from electric pallet jacks to
container handlers in the ports throughout the world.
• Hyster Company has global manufacturing operations in 6 countries to manufacture
equipment and to meet rising demand for its products and services. Hyster has the
largest Parts Distribution system in the world with over 100,000 million dollars in parts
inventory dedicated to keep its forklifts up and running when the customers need
• Hyster has over 60 dealers worldwide, with over 600 combined locations- by far the
most extensive dealer network in the world.
The Material Handling Industry-
Developing Solutions to Move Products
from the Factory to You…
• The Material Handling Industry is fast approaching 100 billion in annual sales. Every
product you’ve ever used, from televisions to tennis shoes, has been manufactured, stored
and shipped to you with the help of the Material Handling Industry.
• From Assembly Lines – Forklifts, automated guided vehicles, and conveyors are all
moving products from one place to another in today’s industrial plants.
• To Warehouses – Storage and retrieval systems, shelving, racks, mezzanines, carousels,
bar coding, infrared scanning and data collection are just some of the latest solutions in
today’s dynamic Material Handling Industry.
• From Front Offices – Automated computerized control systems are stocking, identifying,
storing, retrieving, moving and accounting for all of today’s products… in the plants, on the
road, in the store… making sure the right product is available when needed.
• To Back Docks – The latest in wrapping equipment, packaging and unitizing systems are
all helping today’s companies protect and ship their valuable products and materials, and
it’s all part of Material Handling.
Some Of Our Customers…
• At Johnson Lift/HYSTER, we work with some of the biggest, and best
known companies in the world. Each customer has a different
application, a different set of needs, and a different opportunity for us
to help them with. More and more customers look to Johnson
Lift/HYSTER for solutions to their challenges, and we deliver day after
Employee Benefits For Long
Term Security… And Unmatched
Within Our Industry!
• Since 1940, The Johnson Companies have always believed that a secure employee
contributes to long term prosperity for both the individual and the company. We
have made it a priority to offer the best, most comprehensive employee benefits in
– Medical Insurance- Two plans are offered that allow you to make the best choice
– Dental Insurance- Excellent coverage, and the premiums are paid for by
– Group Life Insurance- Provided at no cost, and increases with your length of
– Profit Sharing Plan- Johnson Machinery provides a profit sharing plan that is
100% funded by the company, a 5% contribution of your annual wages
– 401K Plan- Our associates can contribute from 1 – 12% of gross earnings and
Johnson matches up to 5%
– Total Benefits- With the company matches, you can contribute 22% annually to
a variety of investment vehicles that make long term sense for you and your
Employee Benefits For Long
Term Security… And Unmatched
Within Our Industry!
• OTHER BENEFITS
– Vacation- Established based on length of service and up to one month for
employees with 15 years of service
– Holidays- Several paid holidays each year
– Bonus/Sick Leave- Payable to each employee if not used each year
– Educational Assistance Plan- Johnson pays up to $500 each year for
related courses at approved learning institutions.
– Credit Union- Available to all associates with services that include: savings
accounts, checking accounts, mortgage services, auto loans, multi-purpose
loans, Visa cards, insurance and investment services.
– Automatic Deposit- Johnson offers this convenience to any savings and/or
– Pay Days- For hourly employees, our paydays are every Friday.
– Tool Account- Tool financing and tool insurance plans available
We’re Passionate About Our
Employees… But Don’t Take Our
Word For It…
• Our employees are what make our company great.
We consistently survey our employees to make sure
we treat them fairly, listen to them, and act on their
recommendations. Here are some actual
testimonials from just a few of our technicians…
What a Technician
Can Expect From
The Finest Material Handling Company in
With everything we do, there is exceptional attention to detail with our employees. From
this recruitment information package, to training, to a fulfilling career as a technician to
other career opportunities, Johnson Lift/HYSTER is committed to providing the best
Our process consists of first recruiting the most capable technicians, and then giving
them an organized plan to becoming an accomplished Elite Technician. The plan con-
sists of the following:
1) Recruit the best, most capable employees willing to learn the skills necessary to
become one of our Elite technicians.
2) Enroll each employee into our online Skills Assessment program that is supervised
by our Service Training manager, formerly an Elite technician.
3) Train this individual to become an productive member of our team as a Preventative
Maintenance technician (PM).
4) Organize the training schedule in such a way to allow for a sufficient amount of "ride
along" time with our Elite technicians to give you exposure to as many repair situa-
tions as possible.
5) Test, Test and Test some more to give each individual the best opportunity for career
and wage advancement through our three stages of becoming the best in the busi-
ness: Certech, Master and Elite.
•«— '• • -3- El.
*• g Training Knowledge tenter
Rob Hillsrd's Home Page
The Future of Technicians
In the past, forklifts, like automobiles, were wrench based in nature. The environments
were dirty, the customer base less sophisticated. The machines were far less complex in
nature. Mot so today.
technician of the future will still have to have a skill set to repair most makes and
models, but increasingly the technology incorporated into forklifts means diagnostics are
now computer based, and proprietary in nature. Every new forklift being manufactured
today, from every manufacturer, employs the use of onboard computers with a port for a
laptop to diagnose and troubleshoot the repairs more efficiently.
The customers and industries are increasingly more complex and demanding. From aero-
space companies, to food service, to pharmaceutical companies, the technician of the
future will be able to interact with a more sophisticated customer base, diagnose repairs
more efficiently, and fix the problems faster than ever before.
Within The Johnson
Since 1940, Ruel Johnson believed firmly in treating employees fairly and giving them
opportunities to grow from within the company. This tradition and belief is now carried
on by his son, Bill Johnson, and all of the managers within each division. Our "promote
from within"policy is as alive today as it was in 1940, with plans to continue this for the
next 60 plus years.
We believe in an honest days work. For our employees that continue to demonstrate
their willingness to give an honest days work, treat their fellow employees with respect
and demonstrate a sense of caring and urgency when dealing with our customers, there
is ample opportunity to create a solid future with our company.
Career paths in our company consist of several opportunities: Master Technician, Elite
Technician, Service management, Aftermarket Sales, Machine Sales, Management and
several opportunities within the Johnson Machinery Companies.
n joHnsonuFT HVSTER
We're Passionate About
Our Employees.. .
But, Don't Take Our Word For it...
"I like the training classes that are offered me and all of their technicians, the hands on approach works,
Johnson Lift /Hyster has better working conditions and good people to work with"
"I would highly recommend Johnson Lift/Hyster. They are a good company to work for, they offer
good benefits. Supervisors and co-workers are good people too."
Sean B., San Diego Store
"Johnson Lift / Hyster has the best benefit package out there, the best equipment and the nicest facili-
Jim M., Industry Store
"I like working here because of the team, management is good to work with and because they make it
fun to come to work."
"I would absolutely advise people to work here. The benefits are good, the pay is competitive for the
knowledge you bring and the company is stable"
Abel S., Industry Store
"I came to Johnson Lift / Hyster because of better income for my family, the opportunity to go father
here than in the automotive industry. Auto industry has too many ups and downs, too unstable.
Johnson Lift/ Hyster is not affected that hard."
"I like working out in the field, the training classes they offer and specially the team work with the other
technicians that have more experience."
Mike C., Anaheim Store
"I came to Johnson Lift/Hyster to work for a big company with a good reputation. To take advantage
of the training they offer and for the opportunity to improve my skills as a technician and for a good
"I would recommend Johnson as a place to work because of the training and the opportunities for
advancement with Johnson Lift/Hyster. Because everyone pitches in to get difficult jobs done on
Victor B., Anaheim Store
"Yes, I would tell people to come and work here. The benefits are good and the wages are competitive.
I like working with big names brands like: Hyster, Chevy, GMC, Cat and Ford."
Scott /?., Riverside Store
"I came to work for Johnson Lift/Hyster because the company is well organized from the ground up
and the employees are very happy"
"I like how friendly everyone is here. I like the response that management has when something needs
to be done and the fact that we get rewarded for doing good work"
"I have told people to come and work for Johnson Lin/Hyster. We have a good future here with
Johnson Lift/Hyster. Because there is room for advancement and they offer us 401Kand Profit
Mike A., Riverside Store
Do You Have What It Takes To
Join The “A” Team Of The
Material Handling Industry?