Drake University Student Wireless Setup
for Windows XP
To connect to the Drake University wireless network, both the software and hardware installed on your computer must
support the Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) wireless security standard. As a result, the following items are required to gain
access to the network:
• Windows XP Professional or XP Home with Service Pack 2 (or the latest).
• A WPA certified wireless network adapter.
We recommend that you use a 802.11g 54 Mb wireless card. The Linksys WPC54G works well and is easy to install.
Most “built in” wireless network adapters, including Dell’s Truemobile and Intel’s Centrino branded wireless adapters,
support WPA with the latest drivers. Please contact the laptop manufacturer to obtain the latest drivers. In addition, most
PC Card wireless network adapters manufactured since early 2003 will support WPA.
If you are unsure as to whether or not your wireless card meets the guidelines, please wait until you return to campus so
that it may be tested. If it does not function properly, you may order a replacement over the web at that time.
Configuration: (The following examples were created on a laptop configured to use Windows XP view, not Classic
1. Login to your computer using an account with administrative privileges. (If there is any question about whether or not
you have administrative access to your laptop, please contact your IT support person or the HelpDesk before continuing.)
2. Click Start > Control Panel and then click on Network and Internet Connections.
3. Click on the Network Connections link.
4. Right-click on Wireless Network Connection and choose Properties
5. Click the Wireless Networks tab and
select Use Windows to configure my
wireless network settings.
6. Under Preferred Networks, click Add...
7. Type: DrakeWL-EAP as the Network
8. Select WPA for Network
Authethenication and TKIP for Data
9. Ensure This is a computer-to-computer
(ad hoc) network...is NOT selected.
10. Click the Authentication tab and
choose Protected EAP (PEAP) as
the EAP type.
11. Deselect the options: Authenticate
as computer when computer
information is available and
Authenticate as guest when user
or computer information in
12. Click the Properties button.
13. Ensure that the option to Validate
server certificate is selected.
14. Under Trusted Root Certification
Authorities, select GTE Cyber Trust
15. Under Select Authentication
Method:, choose Secured
password (EAP-MSCHAP v2).
16. Click Configure...
17. Deselect the option to Automatically
use my Windows logon name and
password (and domain if any).
18. Click OK four times.
19. Reboot the computer.
When connecting to the Drake University wireless network, a popup message will appear saying: Wireless Network
Connection: Click here to select a certificate or other credentials for connection to the network DrakeWL-EAP. Click
on the message.
On the Enter Credentials screen, students
should type in the following:
Username: your 9 digit MyDUSIS ID
Password: ur original MyDUSIS PIN
Faculty and staff should enter their desktop
login user name and password.
You will need to register use of the your computer's wireless functionality on campus. If you are a student,
open a browser and you will be automatically redirected to the registration site. You will need your e-mail
username and password.
If you are faculty or staff, please contact the HelpDesk (x3001) or the IT staff person in your area for
assistance. The student registration page cannot be used to register your computer.