Setting up a Netgear wireless
The following instructions are provided to help you set up a router so that you
can connect your TiVo DVR to a wireless network. This procedure, and the
content of any of the screens shown, may change if the router software is
revised. Refer to the manufacturer’s web site for the most current information.
Begin this process with your computer connected directly to your cable modem
or DSL modem. The installer CD will prompt you when it is time to add the router
hardware to the system.
Part 1: Installing the router hardware
1. Insert the installer CD in the drive. When the Welcome screen appears,
This launches an Installation Assistant. The first screen displays an
overview of the installation process and steps you should take before you
install the router.
2. Click Next. The application gathers information about your network
configuration and Internet connection. When this is complete, you are
prompted to check the Netgear web site for router software updates.
3. Click Yes. The utility displays estimated times for the download.
4. Click Next to proceed. The next screen gives information about the
download and instructs you to click Run whenever you see a security
message during the download to allow it to proceed.
5. Click Next to continue. The utility checks for updates, and then displays a
message asking you to confirm your setup.
The utility assumes that you do not have a router already set up on your
network and that the computer is directly connected to the cable modem.
6. If this is your setup, click Yes. The utility displays an overview of the
process for adding the router.
IMPORTANT: If you are replacing your current router with a Netgear
wireless router, you can either click No and follow the additional
instructions displayed by the setup utility, or you can disconnect your
current router, click Yes, and go to the next step in this procedure.
7. Click Next to proceed.
8. Follow the instructions to turn off the modem and disconnect the power
cord, and then click Next.
9. Follow the instructions to disconnect the Ethernet cable from the modem,
and then click Next.
10. Connect the supplied Ethernet/CAT5 Cable from the modem to the
router’s Internet/Uplink port (the port that is set apart from the other ports
on the router, as shown on the screen) and then click Next.
11. Connect an Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port on your computer to one
of the other ports on the router and then click Next.
12. Connect power to the Modem, wait a minute or two for the modem to
complete its startup sequence, and then connect power to the router.
When the Power, Wireless, Internet, and the LAN indicators on the router
are lit, click Next.
13. The utility restarts the network and shows a progress screen. When the
network restart is complete, the utility is ready to install the router
firmware. Click Next to proceed.
14. The router will now begin applying the firmware update that was
downloaded earlier. Click Next.
Part 2: Configuring the router settings
1. Once the firmware update is complete, the Installation Assistant closes its
window, opens a browser window, and automatically connects to a
browser-based Configuration Assistant for the rest of the steps. This utility
detects the internet connection type the router is using.
2. Click Next. The utility updates the settings for your router and then
prompts you to assign a name to your wireless network
3. When prompted, enter a name for your new wireless network and click
The network name is also known as an SSID. It identifies the network
connection from your router. You will need this name later when you set
up the DVR to connect to your network.
4. When prompted to add security, select Yes, please guide me through
the settings and click Next.
• TiVo DVRs require a TiVo Wireless G adapter to connect to a wireless
network that is secured by WPA2 security.
• If you purchased any other brand of wireless adapter, you must choose
WEP security. The TiVo DVR can only connect to a WPA/WPA2-
enabled wireless network using a TiVo Wireless G adapter.
IMPORTANT: If you want to use WPA security (the most secure wireless
network protocol), and you just purchased the DVR or received it as a
replacement during an exchange, the DVR may need to complete Guided
Setup and download a software update before it can connect to your
wireless network (for more information, see TiVo software version
information). If this is the case, choose No, I will set this up later. You
can add security when the DVR receives the software update. Instructions
on how launch the router configuration program to change settings appear
at the end of this procedure.
5. If you enabled security, choose your security mode and then click Next.
WPA2-PSK + WPA-PSK is recommended as this provides the highest
level of security.
6. Enter a password to protect your wireless network and click Next.
This password will be required before any device can access your
wireless network. You will need this password when you set up the DVR
to access your network.
7. The utility displays a summary of your wireless settings, including the
name of the network, security type, and the wireless password. Memorize
these settings or write them down in a secure place and then click Next.
The Configuration Assistant updates the router with your new settings,
and then displays a Successful Installation page.
Your router setup is complete, but you should log in to the router’s
administration program to change the default router password to a new,
secure password. This password will be required to do any router
administration, and it can be different from the password you set up for
access to the network.
You are now ready to connect your TiVo DVR to the new network. For
instructions, go to How to connect a TiVo DVR to your network.
Changing router settings
Your router setup is complete, but you may want to log in to the router’s
administration program to change the default router password to a new, secure
password. This password will be required to do any router administration, and it
can be different from the password you set up for access to the network.
You may also need to change your router settings after you set up the DVR; for
example, if the DVR required a software update before it could connect to a
To change router settings:
1. Open a browser window, and type one of the following into the Address
bar: www.routerlogin.com or 192.168.2. The router prompts you to enter a
user name and password.
2. For the user name, enter admin, and for the password, enter password.
(These are the default settings for Netgear routers.) Click OK.
The router configuration program automatically checks for the latest
firmware update. Since the firmware was updated during installation,
earlier, there are no newer versions.
3. To change the router administration password, click Set Password.
4. Enter the old password (which is password) and then enter and confirm
your new password. When you are finished, click Apply.
5. You will be logged out and then prompted to log in again. Enter your new
password and click OK. The utility displays the main router menu again.
From here you can follow the prompts to view your wireless settings and
change any of the router options you wish.