Omni Capture Engine ™
Omni Capture Engine v3.1 Technical Specifications
Supported Networks • Four port Gigabit Analyzer Card (GAC) XL1 or Wireless LAN Adapter is required.
Omni Capture Engine analyzes traffic on - Available with CX, LX, and SX Depending on traffic and the particular
Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, interchangeable SFPs or fixed 10/100/ usage of Omni Capture Engine, the
WAN, and Wireless traffic. 1000 RJ45 connectors. requirements may be substantially higher.
Ethernet and Gigabit
WAN Analyzer Card (WAC) Recommended System
• WAN Analyzer Card (WAC) T3/E3 P4 or Xeon 2 GHz Processor; 512 MB; 10 GB
• Ethernet IEEE 802.3
• WAN Analyzer Card (WAC) PCI T1/E1 Available HD Space
• Ethernet Type 2
• Data Rates: 10, 100 and 1000 Mbps. Wireless LAN Adapter Heavier Usage Recommendations
Wireless For wireless packet capture, Omni Capture Factors that contribute towards superior
Engine requires the installation of a special performance include, high speed CPU,
• Wireless 802.11 a/b/g
NDIS driver for a supported network adapter. dual CPUs, two or more GB of RAM, high
• 802.11 a Data Rates: 6, 9, 12,18, 24, 36, 48, The Atheros Wireless LAN Adapter v3.0.1 performance disk storage subsystem (RAID
54, 72, 96, 108 Mbps Driver has been tested and is included 0), and as much additional hard disk space
• 802.11 b Data Rates: 1, 2, 5.5, and 11 Mbps with Omni Capture Engine. It supports as is required to save the trace files that you
• 802.11 g Data Rates: 5.5, 6, 9, 11, 12, 18, 22, hardware timestamping. Other cards that plan to manage.
24, 33, 36, 48, 54 Mbps work with AiroPeek, WildPackets’ 802.11
wireless LAN network analyzer, should Error Packet Capture
work with Omni Capture Engine; however Omni Capture Engine has the ability to
• WAN T3/E3 these cards have not been tested and the capture error packets on the network.
• T3 Data Rates: 44.736 Mbps. advanced functionality in Atheros driver These errors include: Runt, Oversize, Frame
• E3 Data Rates: 34.368 Mbps. is not available in other drivers. For more Alignment, and CRC Errors. To capture errors
• WAN T1/E1 information and to download the wireless on Gigabit segments, you must use the
drivers, please visit: WildPackets SL1 or XL1 Gigabit Analyzer
• T3 Data Rates: 1.536 Mbps.
http://www.wildpackets.com/support/ Card (GAC).To capture errors on WAN,
• E3 Data Rates: 2.048 Mbps.
product_support/capture_engine/wireless WildPackets’ WAN Analyzer Card T3/E3
(WAC T3/E3) or PCI T1/E1 (WAC PCI T1/E1)
Supported Network Adapters Hardware Timestamping must be used. To capture errors on Wireless,
Ethernet Cards Using the Atheros Driver, Omni Capture supported wireless cards with a special
Engine can provide a hardware based WildPackets driver must be installed.
Omni Capture Engine will run with any
NDIS 3 or higher compatible Ethernet timestamp with microsecond accuracy.
Omni Capture Engine adds the computer To capture errors on Ethernet or Fast
promiscuous mode network adapter. Almost
time at the start of the capture and obtains Ethernet, you must use the following
all Ethernet adapters on the market today
a microsecond hardware timer. supported error capture cards, including
meet this requirement. For example, we are
the WildPackets driver:
compatible with adapters from 3Com, Intel,
Xircom, SMC, and many others. Supported Operating Systems
Ethernet Error Packet Capture CardBus cards
Gigabit Analyzer Card (GAC) Vendor Model
Windows XP Professional (SP2), Windows
Xircom CreditCard CardBus (CBE2-100)
• Two port Gigabit Analyzer Card (GAC) SL1 2000 (SP4), or Windows Server 2003(SP1).
Xircom RealPort CardBus (RBE-100)
- Available with CX, LX and SX small form All operating systems require Internet RealPort2 CardBus (R2BE-100)
factor pluggable’s (SFPs). Explorer 6.0 (SP1).
Error Packet Capture PCI cards
Minimum System Requirements Vendor Model
Omni Capture Engine supports most rack Adaptec ANA-6911A/TXC
mount, desktop and luggable (Dolch) ZNXY ZX345Q Adapter (21143)
computers as long as the basic system
1340 Treat Blvd, Suite 500 requirements to run the supported
Walnut Creek, CA 94597 operating systems are met. To capture
fax (925)937-3211 Gigabit, WAN, or Wireless traffic, a supported
Network Analyzer Card (GAC or WAC)