A contractor is any person engaged in business of construction, repair, alteration,
dismantling or demolition of structure, project ,development or improvement coming
within the definition of real or personal property. Besides, contractor can be anyone
who agrees to fulfill the terms of a legally binding agreement. Contractor must be
licensed by an examining board before he or she can bid on project. Furthermore,
contractor is entrepeneurs who undertake private enterprise projects, commissioned on
per piece contract.
What is a Contractor?
The Role of
A contractor plays an important role in the construction industry. Without their
contribution or their helps the progress of construction may not be going well. So
what is the role of the contractors?
First, contractor interacts with architect. They will work with architect or
architectural designer to ensure the project is implemented as planned. The architect
and contractor will discuss or review the plans together before they start to work.
Besides, the architect will look to construction contractor to suggest workable
solutions when there are problems in the construction.
Furthermore, construction contractor provides skilled labor. A good
contractor has the skills to handle the carpentry tasks required on a project. Moreover,
construction contractor has to be on-site regularly to inspect whether the work is
completed. And providing answers and resolving issues. If not, it can affect the work
of all the sub-contractors who follow.
In addition, construction contractor arranges for permits and the
associated inspections . Construction contractor is familiar with the process of
applying for them and experienced in filling out the paperwork. They will also
coordinate all of the associated inspections by meeting the city inspectors at the job
site and working with them on any requested changes or adjustments.
Job Scope of
- Manages sub-contractors by locating, evaluating, and selecting sub-contractors;
monitoring and controlling performance.
- Accomplishes construction human resource objectives by selecting, orienting,
training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining
employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising
job contributions; recommending compensation actions; adhering to policies and
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following and enforcing
standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- providing appropriate plans for construction;
- Updates job knowledge by tracking and understanding emerging construction
practices and standards; participating in educational opportunities; reading
professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in
- Accomplishes construction project results by defining project purpose and
scope; calculating resources required; establishing standards and protocols;
allocating resources; scheduling and coordinating staff and sub-contractors;
evaluating milestone assumptions and conclusions; resolving design problems;
evaluating and implementing change orders.
- Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new
and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job
Building & Process on Lakeview Cafe
- Get the approval form authorities before start to plan the construction of Lakeview
- Survey the site and ensure the stability of the site is suitable for building a
- Have a discussion with architect before start to work.
- Get the calculation from the Quantity Surveyor and start to plan about the
construction of the site.
- Estimate the time of construction of Lakeview Café which is build in the campus.
- Create a schedule of construction to show the client or builders because they can
predict or know when is the construction will be done.
- Establishing the budget on the construction to make sure the cost of the material
that used in the construction out of budget.
- Hire workers or builders to build the Lakeview Café to speed up the progress of the
- Estimate the price of furniture used in the Lakeview Café and make sure it is not
out of budget.
- Make sure the power system, water supply system, electrical system and piping
system are working on the café.
- Start to painting, framing, roofing and install the windows in Lakeview Café .
- Install the Computer & Communicating system, air- conditioning system and fans
in Lakeview Café.
- Install the CCTV system in the Lakeview Cafe,.
- Have a site improvement by refer to the mistakes that had done before and try to
- Final Cleaning.
- Final inspection.