Political Parties 9-25-2006
- - Minority opinions are silenced
Who wants to be a candidate?
- Primary – Election before the election. In Indiana, primaries happen in May.
- Convention – Delegates decide at a Convention.
- Primary – Federal Offices (Senator, House Representative, President)
- Convention – Statewide candidates (except Governor) Treasurer, Auditor, and Secretary of State.
- Slating – Party endorses candidates that are in a primary.
Structure of Parties State Chair National Chair County Chair Township Chair Precinct Committeemen Ward Chair
Party Leadership Republican National Chair Ken Mehlman Democrat National Chair Howard Dean
Indiana Party Leadership Republican State Chairman Murray Clark Democrat Chair Dan Parker
Marion County Republican Chair Mike Murphy
- Democrats – No idea… sorry ☹
It keeps going…
Pictured w/ wife Jennifer Ping Marion County Auditor Candidate
- Franklin Township Chair – Tim Ping
- Ward Chair – Teresa Young
- Precinct Commiteeman – John ‘high on the totem pole’ Schaefer
We be Clubbin’!
- Marion County Young Republicans
- Federation of Republican Women
- New Generation of Republican Women
- Benjamin Harrison Republicans
Where are parties the strongest? 2004 Presidential Historical ‘Swing’ Voters
Rock the Vote!
- Party Based Voters – Support the Party, and the Party alone.
- Issue Based Supporters – Vote on a single issue(s) regardless of Party.
- Candidate Based Voting – Pick on the person, and not the Party.
Head of the State – Change is good (every once in awhile)
- 20 years of Republicans ended w/ Evan Bayh
- 16 years of Democrats ended w/ Mitch Daniels
Party Negative Stereotypes
- Republicans – RICH GET RICHER… POOR GET POORER! MWA HAHA!
3 rd parties
- Psst… don’t tell anyone that I’m really a Libertarian
- Republicans losing popularity
- Democrats have an opportunity
- Develop alternatives and a ‘blue print’