Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
-- Margaret Mead (1901-1978)
US Anthropologist, Author
Why should you (or your constituents) care?
How it’s being used
How to get started
June 30, 2008
It’s not about tools
Implementation still growing
another dimension -
status donation, …
Word of Mouth
I trust “a person like me”.
• 3 million online donors
• 6.5 million online donations adding up to more than $500 million.
• Of the 6.5 million donations, 6 million were in amounts of $100 or less.
• Upwards of 13 million addresses were captured
• More than 1 billion e-mails sent during the campaign
• Approximately 1 million mobile phone numbers collected
• 2 million profiles created on the My.BarackObama.com social network
• 5 million supporters on other social networking and multimedia sharing sites.
And Go Here
Use the momentum to your advantage
Ease into it; start doing it
Think about (micro) replication
Think about new interactions
Think person first, institution second
Social Media 404’s OASIS: Obtaining ROI
Objectives – determine what you want to achieve first.
Audience – profile your audience.
Strategy – pick a path that fits.
Implementation – select the technologies.
Sustainment – nurture. measure. adjust.
How To Measure: Listening
my blog, forum, other blog(s), forum(s),
external presence external presence(s)
5 Things You Can Do
1. Download this presentation
2. Buy Groundswell ISBN 9781422125007
3. Start listening.
4. Remember OASIS
5. Think small => an event? A pilot? Act.
txt: jsheridan to 82442