1. “…for seven weeks I’ve lived in here,Penned up inside this ghetto.But I have found what I love here.The dandelions call to meAnd the white chestnut branches in thecourt.Only I never saw another butterfly.” Pavel Friedmann
2. Why do some see or findbeauty in difficult situations and others seem unable to comprehend the beauty?
3. Why do some look beyond the grief and see the love that is present in such grief?
4. Spirituality evokes theholy and can only be described by those that can see it as a place of beauty.
5. Beauty beckons to the observer if she/he can see it!
6. However we describe beauty today, I am sure that beauty must have something to do with God!
7. Therefore, the demise of beauty at anytime must be equated withan unawareness of God…
8. Therefore, the demise of beauty at anytime must be equated with an unawareness of God,because of sin, pain, or ugliness!
9. So by attempting to definebeauty, we are attempting to find where God is, where He has been, and/or what He is doing!
10. If one can develop a working definition of beauty, and ifbeauty is a thing of God, thenone can look for it, even in the most difficult time of death!
11. While I may be unable to fully define or quantify beauty, I will postulate that we can do so tothe extent it will provide us with tools during difficult times.
12. My definition draws heavily from two deceased Christian mystics and their Old Testament understanding of beauty. John O’Donohue, a 20th Century Celtic PhilosopherJonathan Edwards, a 19th Century Theologian/Writer
13. My definition… One has to have a sense of beauty or, we might say, onehas to experience Gods beauty for oneself. Edwards
14. My definition… “[One] does not merely rationallybelieve that God is glorious, but he has a sense of the gloriousness of God in his heart.” Edwards
15. My definition… Beauty “…begins and ends with God …an extraordinary vision ofthe divine Beauty replicating itself in all of creation.” Edwards
16. My definition…“God is Beauty!” O’Donohue
17. My definition… Beauty is a “…sense of the divinebeing and character, as well as theworks of God, and to define beauty in terms of the excellence and glory of God.” Moore
18. My definition…“One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord…” Psalms 27:4
19. My definition… “God is God,and distinguished from all other beings and exalted above them, chiefly by His divine beauty.” Edwards
20. A Practical Side Step… The aura of beauty that is experienced at death is thatremaining connection from thoseprevious moment(s) of love where real beauty was found.
21. A Practical Side Step… Consider… Hymns
22. A Practical Side Step… Consider… Hymns Scriptures
23. A Practical Side Step… Consider… Hymns Scriptures Prayers
24. A Practical Side Step…It is the minister’s job at the time of death to provide the vehicle, trigger the aura, or hold up themirror that allows/helps the dying to find such a place of beauty.
25. A Practical Side Step… “It is the duty of the contemplative to give beauty away so that the rest ofthe world may, in the midst of squalor, ugliness, and pain, remember that beauty is possible .” Chittister
26. The chaplain’s job is simple: hold up a mirror in which to reflect God’s image, create a space to see those holymoments of beauty that already exist, and share the inclination of humanity as it bends towards beauty as a plant towards sunlight.
27. An Old Testament Definition… All OT writersrelate the idea of all beauty with the beauty of God.
28. An Old Testament Definition…“…behold the beauty of the Lord…” Psalms 27:4
29. An Old Testament Definition… “Out of Zion,the perfection of beauty, God hath shined.” Psalms 50:2
30. An Old Testament Definition…“…worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.” Psalms 29:2
31. An Old Testament Definition… “But thou art holy,thou that inhabits the praises of Israel.” Psalms 22:3
32. An Old Testament Definition…Not only does a God that is beauty inhabit people… but His very creation is created in His image and it was good!
33. An Old Testament Definition… “The whole of creation, functioning according to its intended purposes, in harmonyand fruitfulness, is said to be beautiful.” Moore
34. An Old Testament Definition…The beauty of the Lord our God is upon His creation and has established that His ongoing creative work is beautiful!
35. An Old Testament Definition…“And let the beauty of the Lord ourGod be upon us: and establish thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it.” Psalms 90:17
36. Definition: God is beauty; His holy creation is beauty; and His creation has become co- creators in His ongoing work.
37. God is Beauty Their On-goingHis Creation is Co-creation is Beauty Beauty
38. Where is this beauty when thesometimes-horrific realities of life are present?
39. “…the demise of beauty is theresult of the loss of regard for God, then the hope for a recovery of beauty is somehow linked with restoration of respect for God.” Moore
40. A “…persistent longing for beauty can serve as a starting-point…”or a place of awakening “…a true sense of beauty in this age of ugliness and death.” Moore
41. A “…persistent longing for beauty can serve as a starting-point…”or a place of awakening “…a true sense of beauty in this age of ugliness and death.” Moore
42. The chaplain’s job is simple: hold up a mirror in which to reflect God’s image, create a space to see those holymoments of beauty that already exist, and share the inclination of humanity as it bends towards beauty as a plant towards sunlight.
43. Genesis 1:27God created human beings; he created them godlike, Reflecting God’s nature.
44. When I look into the face of the dying I am looking into the face of God!
45. Definition: For a complete workup of my definition of beauty, see my blog… deathministry.blogspot.com