Schmied earththewaterplanet
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

Schmied earththewaterplanet

on

  • 734 views

Introduction to Earth's Water Resources

Introduction to Earth's Water Resources

Statistics

Views

Total Views
734
Views on SlideShare
734
Embed Views
0

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
9
Comments
0

0 Embeds 0

No embeds

Accessibility

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

Schmied earththewaterplanet Schmied earththewaterplanet Presentation Transcript

  • Earth – A Water Planet Image: NASA jschmied©2008
  •  
  •  
  • Water covers about 75% of Earth ’s surface. This makes Earth unique! http://veimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/7100/world.topo.bathy.200401.3x5400x2700.jpg jschmied©2008
  • Every landmass on our planet contains water. The physical properties of water make life possible. Image:http://www.tkg.tv/images/Another%20Blue%20Sky%20in%20Niagara%20Falls.jpg jschmied©2008
  • About 97.5% of Earth ’s water is in the oceans & is salt water. Water-2-4 Images: Corbis Where ’s the other 2.5%?
  • 68.7% of all the 2.5% is fresh water… Water-2-5 Images: Martin Miller, Bruce Molnia … .and is stored in Glaciers. jschmied©2008
  • 30.1% of all fresh water is groundwater in underground aquifers http://blog.mlive.com/muskegon_chronicle_extra/large_groundwater%20art%20.jpg jschmied©2008
  • 0.3% of all Fresh Water is in Lakes..… ..…Rivers & Streams jschmied©2008
  • Only about 0.001 percent of the total Earth's water volume is in the atmosphere! Image: Digital Stock jschmied©2008
  • http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/earthwherewater.html
  • How much water is available for humans and other animals ? http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/earthwherewater.html
  • Linked Issues: Health, Wealth, Water, &
  • & more People ! 1900 = 1.6 Billion 1970 = 3.9 Billion 1/2012 = 6.99 Billion 2050 = 9.2 Billion? jschmied©2012
  • More People… The Same Amount of Resources… Earth is ….?? Image: nasa