- Everyone working in the field of SEO knows that the landscape has changed recently. - Panda & Penguin - I will be talking about how we need to adapt to the new environment
- Gaming an algorithm > human needs basis - SEO is about understanding peoples emotional desires/needs and then meeting their needs through content and communication. - SEO has really become just old fashioned marketing.
- Not just SEO that is broken - Many broken business practices due to short term focus and automation. - a pet hate is when I get a telephone answering system, answer 5 questions and the person who finally answers says "how can I help you?”
Had customer that was selling health products that Google did not agree with Google sent warning emails Client did not receive warning emails Google closed their account down and banned the domain from running Adwords I explained to Google that they simply had not checked the inbox No joy – 2 people lost jobs.
These are bad decisions – they kill loyaltyLook like good cost savings in the short term but what about the long term effect on a business? - When a customer needs help we need to give them a chance to speak and we need to listen.
- you may need a refresher after the last slide. - Many businesses are concentrating on satisfying humans
CD Baby Loves Sara - humanisation of a business (this was 10 years ago)Answering phone on 2nd ring.Cinnamon Gum - Guy wrote a blogDried Squid - guy made a YouTube video
Until a few years ago it was possible to win at SEO through taking a robotic and process driven approach. 1) Run keyword research 2) Create pages stacked full of your target keyword and variations of and create lots of pages. 3) Submit the site to as many directories as possible, write low quality posts and submit to article directories, create mass forum and blog comment spam and buy a load of blog links.
- SEO was a volume game and whoever did the most, or played the dirtiest won, regardless of the quality of the business behind the marketing. - If you are an affiliate optimising for the short term then this can still work but for serious businesses this is a bad plan.
Google have now devalued links from: - Low level/generic directories - Article directories - They can recognise forum spam that uses target keyword anchor text in links - They have found and taken down countless link buying networks of blogs.
- There are now many new services offering to remove links for a fee - Some of them used to sell the same links
- With social integration, micro formats, author rank, improved algorithm search engines are finally starting to separate the wheat from the chaff. - The SERPs are also very different - less visibility for natural search and more on Google revenue generating content. - Universal search - Knowledge graph
Why does your business exist? What was the catalyst? Often forgottenThe people in your business NEED to understand the point.
Once you understand the unique business benefit you can answer these questions:
- Perfect for content/inbound marketing planning - “Three Whys” to get to emotional core - First write down why you think people are doing something. - You then ask “why is this important?” three times.
Then finally we may ask “Why do people want these answers?” > So that they can connect with people, achieve their goals and get closer to fulfilling their dreams.
Anthony Cafaro, Designer at Creative Lab in GoogleNot technical but about emotional value- 2 guest posts - a blog post on our site - now I am sharing it with you.
- SEO Link building is about making logical connections on the internet happen faster - Content Based SEO makes link building easier. - To win at SEO nowadays we need links from authoritative sites. These are hard to get. How do we get them? - By meeting peoples emotional needs
in 2011 they examined 7000 articles in the New York Times - Why are some things shared?
SEO is now about:1) Understanding the human needs that your business is there to service2) Using creativity and passion to wow your customers3) Communicating what you are doing with the right people
Do not bury your head in the sandげんじつをみろ
The humanisation of seo
The Humanisation of SEO – Time to
6 key reasons things get shared on the internet:
1. Social currency - do people look cool for
2. Triggers - is it easily triggered by related things
3. Emotion - how strong an emotional reaction
does it cause?
4. Public – Making things more visible
5. Provides practical Value
6. Stories - is there an interesting one?