CAMPBELL’S 10 QUOTE TIPS
1. Ordinarily, put attribution after a direct quote or paraphrase.
2. If the speaker is changing, put attribution first. Paraphrase the
3. Do not stack direct quotes.
4. Ordinarily, place the noun or pronoun before the verb in
“Everything is under control,” the sheriff said.
“I enjoy the challenge,” said Jack Berry, associate dean for
5. Place long titles after the name. Capitalize short titles if used
6. Set off quotes in separate paragraphs.
7. Avoid quotes of more than 3-4 sentences.
8. Break up longer quotes with a name. Only break between
Example: “The story is told through a lot of flashbacks and from a
lot of different angles,” Lisa Kudrow said. “And except for the
police and me all of the characters are capable of lying.”
9. Place commas, question marks (if part of quote) and periods
inside quotation marks.
10. Avoid double attribution.
Bad example: The commissioner said he would move promptly
against what he called an “outrageous situation.”