• 1.1529215 × 1012 bytes!
• 1,000 petabytes!
• Or: 1,000,000 terabytes!
• Or: 1,000,000,000 gigabytes!
Facebook ingest 500TB of data every day!
Google is estimated to be sitting on around 10EB of data at present!
There’s always the question of who
is interested in getting their hands
on the data and why …!
“For those of you that use the Moves app — the
Moves experience will continue to operate as a
standalone app, and there are no plans to change
that or commingle data with Facebook.”!
– Moves ofﬁcial statement, Apr 24 (www.moves-app.com)!
Example #2 - Nest!
• Home automation technology
company founded by one of the
original team leads of Apple’s iPod!
• Acquired by Google for $3.2b!
• Why does Google want this data?!
“We expect that the acquisition will enhance Google's
suite of products and services and allow Nest to
continue to innovate upon devices in the home, making
them more useful, intuitive, and thoughtful, and to
reach more users in more countries.”!
– Google, 10k Filing for Acquisition of Nest (sec.gov)!
• The Cisco Connections counter!
• Wikipedia (duh)!
• Wired: “What Google Really Gets Out of Buying Nest for $3.2 Billion”!
• Werner Vogels (Amazon CTO) Closing Keynote, AWS Summit!