Alfred J Anderson & Anna Erickson Family Album
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5

Alfred J Anderson & Anna Erickson Family Album



Alfred John Anderson (1872 – 1948) &

Alfred John Anderson (1872 – 1948) &
Anna Maria Erickson (1880 – 1947)



Total Views
Views on SlideShare
Embed Views



0 Embeds 0

No embeds



Upload Details

Uploaded via as Adobe PDF

Usage Rights

CC Attribution-ShareAlike LicenseCC Attribution-ShareAlike License

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
Post Comment
Edit your comment

Alfred J Anderson & Anna Erickson Family Album Alfred J Anderson & Anna Erickson Family Album Document Transcript

  • Alfred John Anderson (1872 – 1948) & Anna Maria Erickson (1880 – 1947)
  • Alfred John Anderson Born: 20 Sept. 1872 Vastra Vingåker, Södermanland, Sweden Died: 19 Sept 1948 Murray, Salt Lake Co., Utah Buried: Murray City Cemetery MARRIED: 6 November, 1901 at Salt Lake City Utah Anna Erickson Born: 28 Oct. 1880 (maybe 1882 ?) Vingåker, Södermanland, Sweden Died: 13 Dec. 1947 Murray, Salt Lake Co., Utah Buried: Murray City Cemetery
  • Sodermanland, Sweden Vastra, Vingaker, Sodermanland, Sweden
  • Vingåker is a small rural town in Södermanland, Sweden, and the seat of Vingåker Municipality, Södermanland County. The town's expansion began in 1862 when a railway station was opened along the western main line (Västra Stambanan, which runs from Stockholm to Gothenburg). The station remained in operation up until 1971, then reopened in 2003. A transit center for refugees from Norway during World War II was located in the manor of Kjesäter, now a folk high school Södermanland County (Södermanlands län) is a county or län on the south east coast of Sweden. It is an administrative unit, covering most of the province Södermanland. The eastern parts of the Södermanland province, largely corresponding to the Södertörn area, belong to Stockholm County. Vastra (west) Vingaker is about 90 miles west-south west of Stockholm near the west tip of Lake Kolsnaren. It is also 10 miles from Lake Hjalmaren,
  • THE SHIP ANNA ERICKSON EMMIGRATED ABOARD 1900 - “Vancouver” Unknown to Unknown on the “Vancouver” (21 Jun 1900) Ship Name Vancouver, Departure, 21 Jun 1900 from Unknown Port Arrival, Unknown Date at Unknown Port British Mission Register. Film Number 25693. Book/Volume: 1825; 3067. Notes: This was entered prior to 2002 PROBABLY DEPARTED LIVERPOOL U.K. ARRIVE PORTLAND, MAINE; TRAIN TO SLC, UTAH Erikson, Anna Last Name Erikson First Name Anna Age 19 Booking Point Salt Lake City Origin Sweden Passenger Type Swedish Emigrant ========================================================== “Vancouver”, Dominion Line “Vancouver”, Dominion Line steamship, original sailing rig steamship –and two funnels with one funnel post 1892 Pre- 1892 The Dominion Line was a trans-Atlantic passenger line founded in 1870 as the Liverpool & Mississippi Steamship Co., with the official name being changed in 1872 to the Mississippi & Dominion Steamship Co Ltd … The line sailed from Liverpool and several ports on the American and Canadian east coasts, namely Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, Portland and Boston
  • `S.S. " VANCOUVER," OceanLiners/DominionLine/BookOfViews/1900/Fleet.html#axzz2DuRqVLIX Fleet of the Dominion Line Royal Mail Steamers c. 1900 Fleet listing of the Dominion Line Royal Mail Steamers steamship line circa 1900 including routes they covered, steamships, tonnage, the length and breadth of each ship. DOMINION LINE Royal Mail Steamers. THE DOMINION LINE STEAMERS SAIL REGULARLY BETWEEN LIVERPOOL and BOSTON (via Queenstown). LIVERPOOL, QUEBEC and MONTREAL. LIVERPOOL, HALIFAX and ST, JOHN, N.B. LIVERPOOL, HALIFAX and PORTLAND, Me. (Anna Erickson probably arrived here) British Mission Manuscript History Voyage Entry “Thursday, June 21 1900 . . . The steamship ‘Vancouver’ sailed from Liverpool with 66 Saints on board, bound for Utah. The company embraced 44 Scandinavian and 6 British emigrants and 16 returning missionaries, namely, Job Heinsley, A [BLANK SPACE] L . Larsen, F. E. Baker, B. [written in G.] Thatcher, and wife (Florence B0, J [John] R. Hart, Nels Nelson, St. S. Pond, Z [BLANK SPACE] W. Israelsen, Emil Pettersborg, R. H. Smith, Serverin Swenson, Edward Larsen, Joseph Nelson, Peter Hansen, and J [BLANK SPACE] P. Mortensen. (Orig. Doc.)” [BMMH, 1900].
  • Both Anna Erickson and Alfred John Anderson were born and raised at Vingaker, Sweden. However, they did not know each other while living in Sweden. Vingaker is a farm community. Most families were sharecroppers. They were furnished a well built home and other supplies, but only enough money to barley exist. The Lutheran Church was the State Church of Sweden and all of my ancestors were automatically members, but were later given the opportunity to join other Church’s. Alfred J. Anderson’s Parents  Alfred’s Father, Anders, was a carpenter (per Caroline “Lena” biography). The family was contacted by the Mormon missionaries and mother Greta (Brita) (at age 45) and father Anders (at age 50) were baptized member of the LDS Church on 12 Oct 1879. [Caroline “Lena” biography says Brita and she was both baptized – 4 Mar 1898]. Alfred remained Lutheran his whole life. It is not clear if any of other the children were baptized at that time. However, just two months later Alfred’s father, Anders, died on 12 Dec 1879. This left Alfred’s Mother, Brita, with 7 (living) children ranging in age from 17 to 2 year old. --------------------------- Life was very difficult for the family. Brita took in washing and ironing to earn a little money, and they farmed most of their food. Besides attending grammar school, the boys work on farms and the girls worked as maid & house keepers. Moving to Stockholm provided more opportunities for young people. Anders (III) Andersson & Brita Persson Andersson had eight children:
  • Age in Born Died 1879 Anders III Andersson 19 Nov 1829 12 Dec 1879 – Sweden 50 Britta Persson Andersson 17 Jul 1834 4 Jan 1928 - Utah 45 1 Per August 13 May 1862 17 Oct 1883 – Sweden 17 2 Anna Louisa 27 Feb 1865 27 May 1953 – Sweden 14 3 Brita Christina “Stena” 2 Oct 1866 7 Dec 1918 – Utah 13 4- Carl Fredrick 21 Oct 1867 29 Mar 1868 – Sweden (died 5 Mo.) 5- Erick Vilhelm (William) 21 Feb. 1869 13 May 1930 – Utah 10 6- Alfred John 20 Jan 1872 19 Sep 1948 – Utah 7 7- Caroline “Lena” 9 Sep 1874 27 Sep 1958 – Utah 5 8- Ellen Josefina 19 Apr 1877 12 Nov 1857 – Utah 2 Family Immigration Dates based on U.S. Census records: Immigration dates based on U.S. Census records: Census Date  1900 1910 1930 1 Britta Persson Andersson 1899 1898 3 Britta Christina “Stena” 1899 Fiitz Emil Forsberg 1899 1898 5- Erick Vilhelm (William) 1892 1893 6- Alfred John 1896 1896 7- Caroline “Lena” 1898 1898 Emil Westling 1893 1896 8- Ellen Josefina 1893 1897 – 1930 Census Andrew Johnson 1892 1892 1893 – 1930 Census The 1900 Census is probably the accurate
  • After arriving in Utah, they found times very hard, about the only employment they could find was common labor. My father, Alfred, was a sheepherder for Hatch Incorporated for at least 2 years and he had employment at Bingham cooper mines and at Park City silver mines. Anna Erickson became a member of the LDS Church in Sweden and immigrated to Utah during 1900, Aboard: Vancouver (Departed: 21 Jun 1900) (at age 18 or 20?). Her brother, Joseph Erick Ericksson and her parents (Father, Erick Persson Erickson & Mother, Anna Marie Kampe) immigrated a few years later. Her sister, Hulda Marie, passes away in Sweden during 1899. Hulda Marie’s husband, August Wilhelm Persson Gustavson and their four(4) children: Carl William, Maria Victoria, Elsa Linnea and Oscar Hjalmer and new wife, Kristina Sofia Westerberg, immigrated to Utah during 1905 aboard the ship “Arabic”. My Mother (Anna) was 10 years younger than my Dad and she came to Utah several years later. When she arrived in SLC she found employment as a housekeeper & maid in Salt Lake City and/or Park City. The family she worked for had a son named Irvin, whom she liked very much, so she decided to name her first son Irvin (according to Irvin). Alfred was working in Park City as a miner at that time. The Swedish people naturally banded together and had frequent social gatherings. This was particularly true in Park City, Utah where Alfred was working. At one of the socials Alfred & Anna were introduced. Alfred knew he had finally met his sweetheart, Anna Maria Erickson. Father knew he had a prize, from the same locality he was from. Alfred was 28-29 and Anna was 18-19 years old. After a fairly short period of courtship, they were married in Salt Lake City, Utah in a civil marriage. On 6 November 1901 they were married at Salt Lake City, Utah
  • Their children are: 1- Elsa Margaret Marie, Born: 7 Nov. 1903 2- Irvin Alfred, Born: 15 Apr. 1904 – 3- Viola Anna, Born: 30 Jan. 1906 - 4- Ruth Edith, Born: 16 Aug 1909 – 5- Elmer Joseph, Born: 23 May 1911 – 6- Harry Melvin, Born: 6 May 1914 – 7- Milton Allen, Born: 9 Jun 1916 8- Neils Robert, Born: 13 Dec. 1918 –
  •  Murray Smelter Alfred, soon after that found steady employment with American Smelting & Refining Co. There were several refining Co.’s and smelters in the Valley and he did short stints at some of them. Finally settling at the Murray Plant. His pay at first was less than $3.00 per day. My parents lived in several locations in the Murray area, renting until their 4th child was born. Alfred’s Mother, his sisters, brother and their husband’s, wife’s and children often got together on Sunday for food and visiting. 1906
  • 1906 Family Get Together Alfred’s family and his Mother, Sisters & Brother With husband’s, wife’s, mother-in-law’s & children. BACK ROW 1- Emil Westling. 2- Caroline “Lena” Anderson Westling, 3 Andrew “Anders” Svenson Johnson, 4- Josephina Ellen Anderson Johnson, 5- Brita Christina “Stena” Anderson Forsberg, 6- Franz “Emil” Forsberg, 7- Hilma Carlson Anderson, 8- Erick William Anderson, 9- Anna Erickson Anderson, 10- Alfred John Anderson holding 11- Viola Anna Anderson FRONT ROW 12- Lawrence Westling, 13- Grandma Westling holding 14- Hilmer Westling, 15- Nils Johnson, 16- Grace Johnson, 17- Grandma Britta Persdotter Anderson holding 18- Vernal Johnson, 19- Grandma Carlson holding 20- Alvin Anderson, 21- Elsa Margaret Marie Anderson, 22- Irvin Alfred Anderson. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I was told that our parents rented and lived in several homes in Murray, Utah with dirt floors, no electricitynd no running water. But I know one thing for sure, no one went to bed between dirty sheets or quilts or needed to put unclean clothes on the next morning. I watched Mother, many times, washing our clothes and bedding. She had a big tub and metal scrubbing board with corrugated ridges with which she scrubbed everything. She had water from our flowing well, with a fire going under another tub and outside clothes lines. She must have been born with a very strong constitution. I am sure that I thought she was going to be here with me forever and be my servant as I never remember offering to help her with anything. (Elmer) They lived in several locations in the Murray area, renting until their 4th child was born. At that time they had 3 girls and 1 boy.
  • 1909-10 Then they had enough money saved to buy one acre of ground and built a modest but ample good looking wood frame home at 4612 So. 2nd West in Murray, Utah. One bedroom, no indoor bathroom, 2 living rooms, one big kitchen, front and back porches. The rest of the kid’s were born in the living room at home, where there was a coal stove Rachel Anderson's mother was mid wife and helped the doctor deliver her babies. She would help for 5 days after. She was at least 15 years older than Grandma (Anna), but was a very good friend to her. She was married, so she would walk from 5300 South, twice a week and bring popcorn or something good. They also built a small cow barn & pig pen and a small chicken coup (about 40 X 25 feet). There was an irrigation ditch running along the back, west side, of the property. They set about to raise their own potatoes & vegetables, their own milk, except when the cow had the dry period; then they would buy from some neighbor. There was always a 50 gal. wooden barrel with well salted pork to preserve it. They had chickens for eggs and meat. They also loved fish and it was cheap in those days. They built a good, below ground, cellar for food storage at the back of the house. Often Grandma, Anna, would send use down to the cellar to get something for the kitchen. I remember going down there and wondering at the large amount and variety of food keep in the cellar. That cellar was always cool in the heat of summer and just cool (warm compared to outside) in the winter time. It was an extremely well built cellar.  The cellar entrance is behind Elmer & Irvin. You went down steps about 6 ft. The cellar was like a basement (cement walls and floor). An inverted V roof with one foot or more of soil on top. Large cottonwood trees surround the side and back. Of course there was no inside bathroom in those days. The outhouse was out in the back, toward the barn. I remember going out there to use the facility and remember well the Sears catalog used to wipe ones self. Not the slick color page of today. This was more like thin newspaper pages. Anyway, that’s what we did in those days
  • About 1920, Alfred decided he needed a farm to keep the family busy and to teach them to work. They bought a farm on West 5300 So. and lived there. The farm turned out to be a poor investment. Poor ground, horses and cows died from lead poisoning from air pollution from American Smelter Corp. Poor help from inexperienced lazy kids. So about 2 or 3 years later he sold the farm at a little loss and bought a house back down in Nebraska Flats (4701 South 2nd West) from Uncle Andrew Johnson and his wife Aunt Ellen (Alfred’s sister). But he could hardly wait for the opportunity to buy back the house he built which was owned by the Blad family. They were just as anxious to get out and move back to Idaho. So Dad sold the A. Johnson home to a Mr. Phelps and one of the happiest days of his & Mothers & ours lives was the day we moved back into the house Dad and Mother had built Mother was so committed to our family. She naturally felt she had to have 3 meals on the table, on time, each and every day. Besides, doing most of the house work, keeping clothes clean, crocheting and sewing. Also, she was the one who milked the cow and did a major part of care and feeding of chickens, pigs, etc. Grandma, Anna, milked the cow. Grandpa, Alfred, had the end of his thumb cut off in a farming accident and could not milk the cow. One of the cows quite giving milk. After a visit from the veterinarian, it was decided she had a piece of bailing wire in her stomach, and soon died. We lost one other cow. We had her staked on the ditch bank for grazing. When we found her she had tripped and fell in the water and drowned.
  • Grandma had flowers of all kinds surrounding the house. She crocheted doilies and sold them to neighbors and friend. Crocheted dollies were commonly used on the arm rest and back or head rest, of living room chairs & couches. Grandma's (Anna’s) hobbies were sewing and crocheting. She sewed all the kids clothes. She made beautiful doilies, hankies, towels, pillows cases, tablecloths, etc. She crocheted dust caps and sold them. She used wide taffeta ribbon. The front porch was later enclosed with windows on the side and front, allowing plenty of light during winter for indoor plants plus being a pleasant area to meet guests and visitors. A 2nd bedroom was added in the back side of the house.
  • GRANDKIDS VISITING Mother & Dad (Anna & Alfred) never attended a picture show. They never owned a radio until all the children were grown, never even seen a television. Never had a telephone or indoor bathroom until all children were fully grown. The kitchen pantry was remodeled into a bathroom. We got electricity when I (Elmer) was 8 yrs old (about 1920), and a refrigerator about 2 years later and a player piano when I was 12 years old. Food was prepared on wood/coal fired stove. And the kitchen always held the aroma of delicious food being prepared. One living room had a small coal stove. No air conditions or central heat. Dad, Alfred, never owned an automobile – even though the kids did. He walked to and from work, at the smelter, every day (about 1.5 miles one way). Grandpa worked 7 days a week at the Smelter and found time to work a large garden at home. Alfred & Anna had very little formal education. They attended grade school in Sweden. But they could read anything in Swedish and almost anything in English as well as write anything.  Bonnyview Elementary Out of 8 children, 4 finished High School, only one went on to college, Harry, & he for only one year. We all went to work early. When we brought home a check, it went to Mother and was for the whole family. Built in 1911, most of the kids attended Bonnyview. About 5000 So. 2nd West, Murray, Utah All the Swedish Families would get together often for coffee and cake (Kaffee Calas) and especially during Christmas season. Those days we had no electricity and so the Xmas trees were decorated with pop corn strings, fruit and candles that were lit with matches. There were a few homes burned to the ground each year as a few would become careless. We would sing a few songs; Uncle Forsberg played the guitar as would Aunt Lena. We would join hands and dance around the tree. There would always be plenty to eat. But about the only gifts we would get in our stockings would be an orange, an apple sometimes a piece of coal and one piece of clothing’s. If there were any toys, they would be for the whole family.
  • Grandpa (Alfred) and Grandma (Anna) would talk together in Swedish. The kids all spoke Swedish including son & daughter in-laws. There were never arguments and they were very happily married. Grandma would show her children a purple spot above her ankle where a snake had bitten her when she was still in Sweden. She was out stacking hay when it happened. Some men slashed her leg to suck the venom out. She was sick for a few days. Grandma (Anna) was a great cook. She put lots of pepper in her food. She made delicious Swedish pancakes. She made lots of sweet rolls, bread and cakes. She never made cookies. Once a week they would have soup. They had lots of vegetables and meat. They had their own pork. She made good Swedish meatballs. She would put up 500 bottles of fruit open kettle. Little Joe was an Italian man who lived across the street from Grandma and Grandpa (House in the background . He kept a pretty good garden. Grandma would hand me a few coins and send me over to Little Joe’s to buy some celery. He was very poor and a bit of a recluse. I’m sure this was big help for him to “sell” a little of his produce. When we went to visit Grandma & Grandpa, Mother (Elsa) would tell use to go out along the front ditch and get some fresh water cress. She would use that “special” water cress in our salads. Also, in the early spring you could pick wild asparagus along the front and back ditches. Delicious plum trees lined the back ditch. < Holger Jorgensen & Neils Anderson It seemed that Grandma (Anna) never sat down. She was always moving around asking everyone “have you had enough to eat”, “you need to eat some more of this”, “do you need anything”, “can I get some milk for you” picking up or cleaning up something, etc., etc. She seems so intent on making sure everyone had everything they wanted. Mother (Ruth), Kaye and I (Connie) and Aunt Vi, (Viola) Gary and Bob would go to Grandma's quite often. I would always throw my arms around her. She used to get on her knees and chase us kids. When we went to Aunt Vi's, Grandma would rest in the hammock fastened to two trees. Gary had a guinea pig and put it on her stomach one time, and it scared her.
  • Her (Anna) house always looked nice. Her living room was just for best, and we didn't go in there. They had a flowing well, and the water was so cold and good. All the cousins liked to play in the barn and climb on the hay and straw. There was a big ditch out in back that we walked along also. Uncle Harry and Denny lived there when Linea left. Two larger chicken coups were built and for several years, Uncle Irvin lived there and took care of the chicken business. Everyone loved our sweet Grandma. We all liked to have sugar lumps when we went Grandpa was a very good man. Grandpa would rent a surrey from the livery stable once a year and take the family (10) to a birthday party in Salt Lake, at 7th W. and 7th So., his brother (Erick) and sister (Lena) lived in that area. They would leave early in the morning, and get home before dark. Another yearly trip was to Nibley Park on 7th E. and 27th So. They would take a streetcar and go on a few concession rides and have an ice cream . State Street Looking South
  • When we were out with Grandpa, he would occasionally sing a song, in Swedish, and do a little “Swedish” jig or type of tap dance. We thought it was great fun. Grandpa was the life of the party when the Swedes would get together. He would tap dance and tell jokes. But, Grandpa seemed very quiet and reserved to some of the grandkids who did not get to see his performances. We must remember the flowing well. Just to the side of Elmer, in the photo, is a lilac bush. Behind it was their water well. This water was from an artesian flowing well and was the best water anyone would ever drink. Some of the large chicken coups are in the background.  Irvin & Elmer & cat. The well had a box into which the water flowed. The water was always the same temperature, nice and cold. Dad, Alfred, would make a home brew beer. After he got home from a long day at the smelter one of the neighbors, Emil Erickson, would stop. They would go over to the well box and get one of Dad’s home brews and sit under a tree and cool off. Grandma might not let them come into the house with the home brew. Some memories of my Mother (Anna) are: (From Elmer’s Biography) I remember Mother as a constant worker, never loud, but always soft spoken and always loving to her husband, her children, all people, her Church and her native land. Her house was always orderly and clean. 3 meals were prepared 7 days per week. Cooked on a coal stove. Dishes, pots, pans cleaned and put away (no electric dishwasher) Clean clothes - ironed- (no electric irons no electric washer or dryer) and put in their place. (for a family of 10) She took me alone in a private room and taught me to pray as she prayed for me in Swedish. Her entire life's earnings probably was less than $500.00 Some memories of my Father (Alfred) are: (From Elmer’s Biography) He was kind & soft hearted, impatient, generous especially to me. He was strictly against foul speech, cigarettes, immorality, necking, dishonesty of any kind. He tried to teach his children how to work, save money. He was hard working, ambitious, clean, well organized, politically opinionated (a socialist). Never left the Lutheran Church, Never joined the Mormon Church, but never stood in my way. He donated $1,200.00 to my mission. Helping his children improve themselves was his life’s ambition.
  • The view (looking east) from the front of the house (4612 S. 2nd W, Murray, Utah) and all of Murray City, is dominated by Mount Olympus and the Wasatch front mountains. The above photo is from a little south and east of the house. The house was in a small valley (Jordan River bottom area) which was locally called Nebraska Flats. The Denver and Rio Grande main line was only about 4-500 yards east from the front of our home and was at a higher elevation than our home. Across 2nd West was few houses and fields. About half way to the tracks, the land sloped upward to a plateau. This was only 30-40 feet higher elevation. The tracks ran along the edge of the plateau. So we could see and hear very well each train as it passed. When ever we went to town, we crossed over two sets of multiple tracks. The sound and sight of trains passing became a very interesting part of our lives. We often watched the long freight trains go by. At the intersection of 48th South and the tracks there were a large group of cattle pens (corrals) for holding cattle before loading them on freight trains. There was also a feed mill and train depot in that area. (Photo from Neils Album kids hanging out along the tracks) A calamity, a young neighbor lost one of his legs as he was playing by hanging on the side steps that are on each car, while the train was moving slow enough to catch a hold. He slipped and one leg was caught under the wheels. He was not alone in the game, as all us kids did it a few times. At least two of my Brothers (Harry & Irvin) spent time as Bums (Bums: a common term of that day, an out of work person who rides on freight train cars from place to place – or young men looking for some adventure). They traveled to other states and back. It was a common sight in those days to see a lot of Bums on every train. Some would come by the house looking for food and/or work.
  • We also knew several people who were killed in train auto accidents. It happened way to often in those days. We were very impressed with the people who worked on the trains and that it was great when the engineer, or someone, would wave at us as they passed. I remember Mr. Belcher on 1st West was foreman on the Section gang. Mr. Bentz, one of our neighbors, was ticket agent at the Union Pacific office. Both railroads had stations and ticket offices in Murray and most any train would stop if the signal was out. In these photos one can get the perspective of Mount Olympus and the higher area (plateau) along which the train tracks ran in front of the house Milton, Ruth & Anna
  • The family attended Murray 2nd Ward which was located about 5000 South 2nd West. Anna was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She lived and actively participated in the Murray Second Ward for many years. Grandpa insisted that everyone go to Sunday School and Sacrament meeting every Sunday. They kneeled for prayer when the Ward Teachers came Grandma always walked to Sacrament meeting with her children. Notice the horse hitching rail and, in foreground, a well water pump The Murray 2nd Ward was later divided into The 2nd & 4th Ward. Their son, Elmer Joseph, was ordained Bishop for Murray 4th Ward for two different terms.
  • 1900 John Anderson in household of Henry S Mansell, "United States Census” name: John Anderson event place: ED 92 Kaysville Precinct Kaysville city Ward 2, Davis, Utah, birth date: Jun 1871 birthplace: Sweden relationship to head of household: Boarder father's birthplace: Sweden mother's birthplace: Sweden race or color (standardized): White gender: Male marital status: Single immigration year: 1886 Henry S Mansel, two (2) Servants and Four (4) Boarders are listed Kaysville is a city in Davis County, Utah. It is part of the Ogden–Clearfield, Utah Area About 25 miles North of Salt Lake City, Utah. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 1910 "United States Census" Fred Anderson, Murray Ward 3, Salt Lake, Utah name: Fred Anderson, birthplace: Sweden, relationship to head of household: Self residence: Murray Ward 3, Salt Lake, Utah marital status: Married, race : White, gender: Male immigration year: 1896 father's birthplace: Sweden, mother's birthplace: Sweden Household Gender Age Birthplace Self Fred Anderson M 38y Sweden Wife Annie Anderson F 29y Sweden Dau Elsie Anderson F 7y Utah Son Ervin Anderson M 5y Utah Dau Viola Anderson F 4y Utah Dau Ruth Anderson F 1y 8m Utah
  • THIS LINK DOES NOT PROVIDE ALL THE INFO. 1920 U.S. Census - NAME Alfred Anna Anderson Anderson Relationship Head Wife Age-at last birthday 48 38 (age 38 in 1920 would mean born 1882 instead of 1880) Single, Married, Divorced M M Year of Immigration to US 1896 1891 (1900 per 1930 Census and other reports) Naturalized or Alien Na Na If naturalized –yr Naturalized 1915 1915 Person-Place of birth Sweden Sweden Person-Mother tongue Swedish Swedish Father-Place of birth Sweden Sweden Father-Mother tongue Swedish Swedish Mother-Place of birth Sweden Sweden Mother-Mother tongue Swedish Swedish OCCUPATION Profession-work done Ore Industry- In which at work Smelter 1920 U.S. Census - 2nd West, Murray, Salt Lake, Utah (Jan. 5 - Enum. Dist 69) Anderson, Alfred SEE ABOVE Anderson, Anna SEE ABOVE Anderson, Elsie M.M. dau 17 S Utah , SwedenSwedish, SwedenSwedish, None Anderson, Erwin son 15 S Utah , SwedenSwedish, SwedenSwedish, News boy Daily paper Anderson, Viola M. dau 14 S Utah , SwedenSwedish, SwedenSwedish, None Anderson, Ruth E. dau 11 S Utah , SwedenSwedish, SwedenSwedish, None Anderson, Elmer J. son 8 S Utah , SwedenSwedish, SwedenSwedish, None Anderson, Harry M. son 5 S Utah , SwedenSwedish, SwedenSwedish, None Anderson, Milton A. son 3 S Utah , SwedenSwedish, SwedenSwedish, None Anderson, Nels R. son 1 S Utah , SwedenSwedish, SwedenSwedish, None
  • 1930 U.S. Census - 2nd West, Murray, Salt Lake, Utah NAME Alfred Anna Anderson Anderson Relation to head Head Wife Home owned/rented Owen ($2,500) Family live on a farm? No Age at last birthday 59 48 (48 means birth 1882 not 1880) Marital Condition M M Age at first marriage 29 18 (18 also means birth in 1882 or 83) Attend school since Sep 1 1929-No No Can read or write Yes Yes Your Place of birth Sweden Sweden Father Place of Birth Sweden Sweden Mother Place of birth Sweden Sweden Language before coming to US-Swedish Swedish Year of immigration to US 1895 1900 Naturalization Na Na Able to speak English Yes Yes Trade, Profession, type work: Laborer None Industry Lead Smelter At work yesterday Y or N Yes War Veteran, any war YorN-No Anderson, Alfred Head 0 $2500 R no 59 M 29 No Yes Sweden Sweden Sweden Swedish 1895 Laborer Lead Smelter Anderson, Anna wife 48 M 18 No Yes Sweden Sweden Sweden Swedish 1900 OCCUPATION Anderson, Erwin son 25 S No Utah Sweden Sweden Cook Restraunt Yes No Anderson, Viola dau 22 S No Utah Sweden Sweden Dipper Candy Factory Yes Anderson, Ruth dau 20 S No Utah Sweden Sweden Stenographer Laundry Yes Anderson, Elmer son 18 S No Utah Sweden Sweden Truck Driver Grocery Store No Anderson, Harry son 15 S No Utah Sweden Sweden none Anderson, Milton son 12 S No Utah Sweden Sweden none Anderson, Niels son 10 Utah Sweden Sweden none
  • 1940 Alfred Anderson, "United States Census" event: Census event year: 1940 name: Alfred Anderson event: Census event year: 1940 event place: Ward 1, Murray City, Election Precinct 11, Salt Lake, Utah, United States gender: Male age: 68 marital status: Married race (standardized): White relationship to head of household (standardized): Head birthplace: Sweden estimated birth year: 1872 residence in 1935: Same House Household Gender Age Birthplace head Alfred Anderson M 68 Sweden wife Anna Anderson F 59 Sweden son Irvin Anderson M 36 Utah son Neils Anderson M 21 Utah -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Dad (Alfred) lived alone for only a short time.. Mother (Anna) had a stroke and was paralyzed. She couldn't talk. Mother (Anna) died of stroke & heart complications, 13 Dec 1947. When she died, Grandpa was lonely without her. He stayed with Aunt Elsa and Aunt Vi (Viola) for about 9 months before he to died.
  • Dad (Alfred) went to stay with Keith & Viola early 1948 – But Dad was still unhappy. So he tried it out at Hook & Elsa Jorgensen, but their life was too fast: school meetings and activities. So he tried us (Elmer & family) for just a few days but nothing satisfied him. He was confined to St. Marks hospital until he died. Dad passed away 19 Sept 1948. He was stricken with lead poisoning while working. They claimed he died of Progeria myaopathy (old age). But he died of a broken heart, mourning the love of his wife.
  • Your tombstone stands neglected and alone. The name and date are chiseled out on polished, marbled stone. It reaches out to all who care. It is too late to mourn. You did not know that I exist. You died and I was born. Yet each of us are cells of you in flesh, in blood, in bone. Our heart contracts and beats a pulse entirely not our own. Dear Ancestor, the place you filled those years ago. Spreads out among the ones you left who would have loved you so. I wonder as you lived and loved, I wonder if you knew That someday I would find this spot and come to visit you. Author Unknown FIND A GRAVE
  • Alfred Anderson Birth: Jan. 20, 1872, Sweden Death: Sep. 19, 1948, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA Burial: Murray City Cemetery , Murray, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA Plot: 08 094 1 Parents: Anders & Brita Anderson Occupation: Retired Smelter worker A.S.& R. Co. COD: Chronic Nephritis/Acute Sclerosis Anna Erickson Pearson Anderson Birth: Oct. 28, 1880, Sweden Death: Dec. 13, 1947, Murray, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA Burial: Murray City Cemetery , Murray, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA Plot: 08 094 2 Parents: Erik & Anna Marie Kemp Pearson COD: Cerebral Apoplexy
  • Brother checking new car Grand kids visiting The Barn Dennis by water well Alfred & Elmer
  • Chicken coups Irvin & Vern 1949 Food cellar BELOW Alfred John Anderson
  • History of Murray City MURRAY CITY Murray was settled as part of the initial expansion south of Salt Lake City. Early residents in the area divided the grasslands south of Salt Lake into homesteads or parcels where they raised cattle and cereal grains. Most of the cattle provided dairy products, while wheat, corn, and some rye were grown to feed the family and animals. Murray City, originally known as South Cottonwood, lies eight miles south of Salt Lake City between Big and Little Cottonwood Creeks. [ … ] Its central valley location and plentiful water have allowed Murray to evolve from an agricultural to industrial to suburban community. Construction of the Woodhill Brothers' smelter in 1869 initiated Murray's industrial history. Murray produced the first silver bars smelted in Utah in 1870. The smelters continued to dominate the local economy until the close of the ASARCO lead smelter in 1950. Business and commercial enterprise prospered along with the smelter industry. Murray was praised as a shining example of cooperation between business, industry, and government early in the twentieth century; it was hailed for its own water plant, lighting system, smelter, canning factory, flour mills, and brickyards. Murray's industry was hard hit by the 1930s depression. The smelters began to close in 1931, and major industry had all but vanished by 1940. Murray was quick to take advantage of various federal projects to compensate for this economic loss. The city actively sought federal money to refurbish its twenty-two-acre park and buildings and to purchase an additional twelve acres of fairgrounds. By 1939 Murray was the site of the annual Salt Lake County Fair. Even though the smelters, brickyards, and flour mills that fueled Murray's industrial economy either closed or moved between 1930 and 1950, its central location makes Murray an ideal bedroom community and area of small businesses and service industries. [ … ] See: Murray City Corporation, History of Murray City (1976); Raymond R. Rasmussen, History of Murray, State of Utah (1936). David L. Schirer
  • Murray Train Station Murray State Street Trolley Going to Salt Lake City on the Trolley
  • STATE STREET, MURRAY CITY, UTAH – OVER THE YEARS 1900 Murray about 1910 Murray State Street – Trolley Tracks
  • BONNYVIEW ELEMENTARY ARLINGTON / CENTRAL SCHOOL MURRAH HIGH SCHOOL The Murray City School District was formally established in 1906, but prior to that the first known school building in the area was built in 1851 The three school buildings in the newly established district were renamed through a student competition in 1906. The names selected were Arlington School (formerly District #25 and Central School), Liberty School (formerly District #24 and Winchester School), and Pioneer School, located near 300 West and 5300 South. By 1911, Bonnyview and Hillcrest Schools had been built. Development of high school curriculum began in 1913-14 school year at the Hillcrest School and a new grade level was added each year until the diplomas were awarded in May 1917 to the first five high school graduates.