Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
Harriet L Peacock Meikle
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

Saving this for later? Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime – even offline.
Text the download link to your phone
Standard text messaging rates apply

Harriet L Peacock Meikle


Published on


Harriet Louise Peacock (1836 – 1915)
1st wife of James Joseph Meikle

Published in: Spiritual, Sports
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total Views
On Slideshare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

No notes for slide


  • 1. PIONEER HISTORY OF Harriet Louise Peacock (1836 – 1915) 1st wife of James Joseph Meikle From the files of: Erma P. Gordon Anderson (additions by Joe Anderson: great grandson) Harriet Louise “Louisa” Peacock Born: 10 Nov 1836 at Watford, Hertfordshire, England Baptism/ Christening : 11 Dec. 1936 ST. MARYS, WATFORD, HERTFORD, ENGLAND LDS Baptized: 7 Dec 1860 Immigrated to Utah during 1863 Died: 15 Mar 1915, buried 25 Mar 1915 at Smithfield, Cache Co, Utah Harriet L. Peacock was baptized a member of the LDS Church 7 Dec 1860 In 1863 Harriet Louise Peacock, Emigrated from England to Salt Lake City, Utah. Refer to her father’s, William Peacock Jr., file for information about other family member emigration. LDS Emigration 4 Jun 1863: Port of Departure: London, England aboard the ship “Amazon” 18 Jul 1863, Port of Arrival: New York, New York 21 July 1863. Departed New York 31 July 1863 Arrived Florence, Nebraska 6 to 14 Aug. 1863 Departed Florence, Nebraska 3 to 15 Oct 1863 Arrived Salt Lake City, Utah Harriet Louise Peacock was the third from her family to emigrate to Utah. The rest of the living members of the family immigrated during 1866
  • 2. After arriving in Utah, Harriet went to Smithfield, Cache Co., Utah. On 3 Jan 1864, Harriet L. Peacock married James Joseph Meikle at Smithfield, Cache Co., Utah On 14 Jan 1865 Harriet L. and James Joseph Meikle were sealed at Endowment House, Salt Lake City, Utah. The Family home was in Smithfield, Utah James & Harriet’s children are: 1- James Jackson Meikle- 1864-1929, Married 1888 to Marinda Tidwel, 2- Thomas William Meikle- 1866-1867 3- Robert Gilbert Meikle- 1868-1939, Married 1894 to Annie Sophia Mack 4- Alfred William Meikle- 1870-1911, Married Amelia Allen. 5- Isabell Merrion Meikle- 1872-1939, Married Foster J. Gordon, 6- Samuel 1874-1874 7- Joseph Arthur Meikle- 1877-1960, Married Temperance Allen, 8- Harriette Louise Meikle 1879-1943, Married Samuel A Gordon , 1880 United States Census Rella- Marital Birth- Father’s Mother’s Name tion Status Gender Race Age place Occupation Birthplace Birthplace ----------------- --------- ------ --------- ----- ---- ---------- -------------- ----------- ------------ James MEIKLE Self M Male W 45 SCOT Farms SCOT SCOT Harriet MEIKLE Wife M Female W 45 ENG Keep House ENG ENG t James MEIKLE Son S Male W 15 UT Wk-Farm SCOT ENG Robert G. MEIKLE Son S Male W 13 UT Wk-Farm SCOT ENG Alfred W. MEIKLE Son S Male W 11 UT SCOT ENG Isabella MEIKLE Dau S Female W 8 UT SCOT ENG Joseph MEIKLE Son S Male W 3 UT SCOT ENG Harriet MEIKLE Dau S Female W 1 UT SCOT ENG Grandmother Source Information: Census Place: Smithfield, Cache Co., Utah, Family History Library Film: 1255336 For a history of the family refer to biography of husband James Joseph Meikle
  • 3. James Joseph Meikle wife Harriet Louise Peacock Meikle and their children BACK ROW: Alfred William, Harriet Louise, Joseph Arthur, Isabella Marion FRONT ROW: James Jackson, Harriet Louise Peacock Meikle, James Joseph Meikle, Robert Gilbert Harriet L. Peacock Meikle died 15 Mar 1915 She was buried 25 Mar 1915 at Smithfield, Cache Co, Utah
  • 4. .The following pages outline the emigration of Harriet Louise Peacock from England to Utah. “AMAZON” GENERAL INTEREST The Mary Celeste was a 103-foot (31 metres), 282-ton brigantine. She was built in 1861 as the Amazon at Spencer's Island, Nova Scotia, the first large vessel built in this community. Amazon renamed the Mary Celeste was a brigantine found in the Atlantic Ocean unmanned and under full sail heading towards the Strait of Gibraltar in 1872. The fate of the crew is the subject of much speculation; theories range from alcoholic fumes to underwater earthquakes, and a large body of fictional accounts of the story. The Mary Celeste is often described as the archetypal example of a ghost ship. “Amazon” later renamed “Mary Celeste” An engraving of the Mary Celeste as she was found abandoned LDS EMIGRATION ROSTER & VOYAGE HISTORY Year Emigrated: 1863, Last Name: PEACOCK First Name(s): HARRIET Ship Emigrated On: AMAZON From London, England to New York City, U.S.A. Ship: Amazon 4 Jun 1863: Port of Departure: London, England LDS Immigrants: 895, Church Leader: William Bramall 18 Jul 1863, Port of Arrival: New York, New York ---------------------------------------------------------- From New York to Florence, Nebraska 21 July 1863. Depart New York 31 July 1863 Arrived Florence, Nebraska From Florence, Nebraska to Salt Lake City, Utah – Unknown Company 6 to 14 Aug. 1863 Depart Florence, Nebraska 3 to 15 Oct 1863 Arrive Salt Lake City, Utah ========================================================================
  • 5. From London, England to New York City, .Ship: “Amazon” 4 Jun 1863: Departure: London, England LDS Immigrants: 895; Church Leader: William Bramall 18 Jul 1863, Port of Arrival: New York, Charles Dickens Aboard “Amazon” READ THE ACCOUNT AMAZON PASSENGER LIST PEACOCK, Harriet <1837> Age:26, Origin: England, Occ: Spinster, Note:BMR,p.290 The following are a few excerpts from accounts of the voyage of the ship AMAZON in 1863. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 4 Jun 1863 Port of Departure: London, England AMAZON. -- The splendid packet ship Amazon, Captain H. K. Hovey, with a company of 895 souls of the Saints on board under the presidency of Elder William Bramall; Elders Edward L. Sloan and Richard Palmer being associated with him as his counselors. A brass band, from South Wales, the performers being members of the Church on their way to Zion on the Amazon, discoursed sweet music on the poop-deck. There was considerable excitement manifested by the people on shore as this vessel left the dock and moved down the river, the people on the wharves cheering, and, on the banks of the river and on the vessels anchored in the stream waving their handkerchiefs and hats and giving vent to other demonstrations in response to the singing of the people and the music of the band. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Autobiography of Mary M. Fretwell Davis When the ship was in the London Docks, Charles Dickens came on board. His eyes were on everybody, and as he was walking about he was writing all the time. [SEE THE ARTICLE CHARLES DICKENS WROTE IN THE LIST OF HISTORIES]
  • 6. We had some very rough weather. When it stormed the captain had the hatchways all closed down and it seemed as if we were shut in a prison. My companions were Ellen Derrick, and Ellen Hackman and Lizzie Cornell. We were in an upper berth, and Lavinia Triplet and her sister and cousin in the lower one, so there was seven of us and we all kept together till we got to Utah On the 4th of July the captain hoisted the Stars and Stripes and celebrated. The ship arrived in New York harbor July 18th ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Autobiography of Naomi Debenham Dowden O June 4th, 1863, I set sail on the ship Amazon The ship cast anchor upon reaching the Isle of Wight, due to stormy weather. After three days the journey was resumed. One baby died and was consigned to a watery grave. 1 July 1863. I with others was on the forecastle at 1 a.m. several sperm whales passed just in front of the vessel in a westerly direction. At 6 ½ a large dog fish was in sight. Dogfish is a name applied to a number of small sharks found in the northeast Atlantic. William Reed caught a naucles, but after being told it was dangerous, its bite being poisonous, threw it overboard again. A starfish was also caught. 4 July 1863 The business of the day commenced by raising the American flag to the mast’s head. The band played the Star Spangled Banner, Hail Columbia, & Dancing & singing on deck during the day. Reminiscences and Journals of William McLachlan Sunday 7th June 1863. Early this morning Sister Caroline Harris gave birth to a daughter at 4:30 a.m. At 9 a.m. cast anchor by the Isle of Wight. During the day a few of us were busy serving out provisions to all the Saints. Bread, butter, eggs, and cheese brought on board for sale from Portsmouth. [A SAMPLE, from various accounts, OF DAY TO DAY CONDITIONS] “Some day of calm, no headway. some days of very high wind and many sea sick Saint.” “Weather varied from calm to rough. Spirits ebbed from high to low” “The sea became more calm & a great number of the brethren & sisters went up on deck and enjoyed themselves.” “The wind was very boisterous & the sea rolling up like mountains” “It was what may be called a dead calm.” No headway “We had high wind in our favor. The sea became very rough. We were traveling from 10 to 12 miles an hour” “It was very foggy all the day, not much wind.” “A head wind, very heavy sea waves rising mountains high. The weather fine.” “Very strong breeze, heavy sea waves lashing over the forecastle of the ship.” “Head wind, sea calm towards the afternoon”. “ “Making about 10 knots an hour, not more than 1600 miles from London.”
  • 7. “Head wind, calm sea, weather fine during the day.” “Rather damp, sea quite still. Provisions served out to all of the Saints.” “Sea very calm, weather warm, vessel almost at a standstill.” “The wind in our favor, sailing along at a good pace. “The weather fine and the Saints feeling well with few exceptions.” “Warmer than yesterday traveling about the same rate. Captain Novey had a large sheet put up near the cabin door to shade the passengers from the painful rays of the sun.” “A little more breeze. Swarms of porpoises to be seen jumping about a little way from the vessel.” “Fair wind. Passed a vessel about 2 p.m. loaded with emigrants from Prussia to New York.” Diary of Edward L. Sloan Tuesday, 9th. The day passed much as the previous one. The cooking galley being the most important part of the ship and eating seemed the most important business of life. Monday, 15th. Up about 6 a.m. and as customary went round the decks looking after the sick and found that almost all the people were able to get up and go on deck though several are suffering from diarrhea. Gave them some medical comforts while the doctor gave them some medicine. Wednesday, 17th. Becalmed. The potatoes having begun to sprout very strongly in the bags, got them up on deck & had the buds taken off & the rotten ones picked out & thrown away. Thursday, 25th. Much calmer and the wind blowing more ahead. Sunday, 28th. The wind freshened up towards the evening and about 8 p.m. it blew almost a gale. A sudden [squall] approaching almost to hurricane violence, carried away the flying jib, tearing it into ribbons like paper, and a heavy fall of rain pouring down in torrents, dashed down the open hatchway before the sky lights could be got on; we shipped a sea or two at the same time. Wednesday, July 1st. A schooner in sight all day. In the evening there was some dancing on the deck, Dr. Thomson playing the concertina. Friday, 17th The cry this morning is land ho, land being in sight on our starboard bow. The fog having lifted for a time we could see the land very plainly & numerous large vessels. 17 July 1863 A stream troop ship passed us at 8 a.m. The New York Papers were read on board informing us of the riots that were going on there, which caused great excitement on board. Port Hudson was taken by federal. 18 July 1863 Passed Sandy Hook at 12 p.m. Splendid scenery both sides of the river. A transport loaded with troops for the city passed us, & we were informed there was 4500 troops already there to quell the riot. We anchored in the harbor about p.m. Our band played the Star Spangled Banner, & we gave several hearty [cheers].
  • 8. Saturday 18th July. Very warm. About 10 a.m. anchor was cast and in a few minutes a steam tug came along side of the vessel to drag her into port. Anchor was drawn up and we moved along steadily to our destined haven at least within one mile of Castle Garden, where anchor was again cast at 2:30 p.m. Sunday 19th July 1863. About 12 a.m. the “Cynosure” anchored near to us. [NOTE: Refer to “ Cynosure” Foster & Sarah Frances Gordon] She sailed from Liverpool on Saturday 29th May with 700 souls of the Saints on board. 18 July 1863 It was a very fine day. We had the pleasure to see the land of America — I mean the American Island. About five o’clock p.m. we got in all safe. We cast anchor some distance from the great city of New York. A riot in New York and dispute over wages had caused much trouble and the immigrants considered it providential that they were delayed in their journey until after the riot had subsided. Six weeks were spent on the ocean. New York City draft riots The New York City draft riots (July 13 to July 16, 1863; known at the time as Draft Week were violent disturbances in New York City that were the culmination of discontent with new laws passed by Congress to draft men to fight in the ongoing American Civil War. The riots were the largest civil insurrection in American history apart from the Civil War itself President Abraham Lincoln sent several regiments of militia and volunteer troops to control the city. The rioters were overwhelmingly working class men, resentful, among other reasons, because the draft unfairly affected them while sparing wealthier men, who could afford to pay a $300 commutation fee to exclude themselves from its reach Civil War during this time: January 1, 1863 - President Lincoln issues the final Emancipation Proclamation freeing all slaves in territories held by Confederates and emphasizes the enlisting of black soldiers in the Union Army. March 3, 1863 - The U.S. Congress enacts a draft, affecting male citizens aged 20 to 45, but also exempts those who pay $300 or provide a substitute. "The blood of a poor man is as precious as that of the wealthy," poor Northerners complain. June 1863 Robert E. Lee, with 75,000 Confederates,invaded Pennsylvania June 28, 1863 - President Lincoln appoints Gen. George G. Meade as commander of the Army of the Potomac, replacing Hooker. Meade is the 5th man to command the Army in less than a year. July 1-3, 1863 - Battle of Gettysburg in Pennsylvania. The tide of war turns against the South as the Confederates are defeated at Gettysburg. July 4, 1863 - Vicksburg, the last Confederate stronghold on the Mississippi River, surrenders to Gen. Grant and the Army of the West after a six week siege. With the Union now in control of the Mississippi, the Confederacy is effectively split in two, cut off from its western allies. July 13-16, 1863 - Anti-draft riots in New York City include arson and the murder of blacks by poor immigrant whites. At least 120 persons, including children, are killed and $2 million in damage caused, until Union soldiers returning from Gettysburg restore order. July 18, 1863 - 'Negro troops' of the 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment under Col. Robert G. Shaw assault fortified Rebels at Fort Wagner, South Carolina. Col. Shaw and half of the 600 men in the regiment are killed. August 10, 1863 - The president meets with abolitionist Frederick Douglass who pushes for full equality for Union 'Negro troops.'
  • 9. August 21, 1863 - At Lawrence, Kansas, pro-Confederate William C. Quantrill and 450 pro-slavery followers raid the town and butcher 182 boys and men. November 19 1863 – Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address dedicates a battlefield cemetery at Gettysburg Pennsylvania. 19 July 1863 The “Cynosure” that started with a load of Saints from Liverpool five days before we sailed from London, arrived at 10 a.m. & anchored alongside us. [NOTE: Refer to “Cynosure” Foster & Sarah Frances Gordon] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 18 Jul 1863, Port of Arrival: New York, New York Vessel Rig Registry Tons Master No. LDS Pass. Depart. Port Depart. Date Arrival Port Arrival Date Passage Days Comp. Leader Antarctic Ship U.S. 1116 G. Stouffer 486 Liv. 5-23-63 N.Y. 7-10-63 48 J. Needham Cynosure Ship U.S. 1258 Drum or Wms. 775 Liv. 5-30-63 N.Y. 7-19-63 50 D. Stuart Amazon Ship U.S. 1771 H. Hovey 895 London 6-4-63 N.Y. 7-18-63 44 W. Bramhall Liv. = Liverpool, England – N.Y. = New York City, USA ANCESTORS Sarah Frances <1805> and Foster <1804> Gordon were aboard Cynosure and. Harriet L. Peacock <1836> was aboard Amazon. They were part of the 2,156 emigrant saints (aboard Antartic, Cynosure, and Amazon) being moved from New York City to Florence Nebraska. Many more saints from the Eastern U.S. were also moving to Florence. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ From New York City, to Florence, Nebraska – Amazon Passengers 20th July. Busy packing up to go ashore. Got to Castle Garden at 8 p.m. CASTLE GARDEN IMMIGRATION RECEIVING STATION 21st July 1863. At 6 a.m. we left the Castle Garden, & streaming up the river. After sailing up the river a little distance we got ashore unloaded the barge of our luggage and stowed it into the railway cars. At 9:45 a.m. we started for Albany, NY. Had to stay at Poughkeepsie, NY from 4 p.m. till early the next morning because of 2 bridges ahead of us had been swept away by water. We traveled through Catskill Mountains, Palmyra, Detroit, Rochester, crossed the Cincinnati Rapid Falls, arrived in British Possessions (Canada), arrived at Detroit, crossed the Detroit River in a steamer, we reached Quincy, ILL crossed the Mississippi River in a ferry boat to Hannibal, MO St. Joseph, MO
  • 10. about midnight, taken on board the steamboat “Hudson”, left St. Joseph & steamed away up the Missouri River, landed freight at Council Bluffs, Neb a city founded by the Saints when they were exiled from [-], Omaha, Neb 15 miles from Florence, Neb left Omaha, Neb this morning at 3:50, reached Florence Landing. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- FROM FLORENCE, NEB. TO SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH Departure Post Departure Date Company Captain - Company Name or No. Number of People Wagons Arrival Date Roster Florence, Nebraska 6-Aug-1863 Daniel D. McArthur (5) About 500 75 3-Oct-1863 No roster Florence, Nebraska 8-Aug-1863 Horton D. Haight (6) About 200 4-Oct-1863 No roster Florence, Nebraska 9-Aug-1863 John W. Wooley (7) About 200 4-Oct-1863 No roster Florence, Nebraska 10-Aug-1863 Thomas E. Ricks (8) About 400 4-Oct-1863 No roster Florence, Nebraska 11-Aug-1863 Rosel Hyde (9) About 300 13-Oct-1863 No roster Florence, Nebraska 14-Aug-1863 Samuel D. White (10) About 300 15-Oct-1863 No roster,15773,3966-1,00.html The above link is for “Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847–1868” At this site you can view of Mormon Pioneer History. Unfortunately, the Company’s leaving Florence, Neb. in the latter half 1863 did not record rosters of passengers. However, at this site, you can get partial list of people (those who wrote biographies and submitted them to Church Archives). I have cross checked the list of individuals from the above companies and compared them to the passenger lists of the “CYNOSURE”, Foster & Sarah F. Gordon, and the “AMAZON” Harriet L. Peacock. Passengers from the CYNOSURE and the AMAZON are scattered among the various Co.’s. These Co.’s left Florence and arrived in Salt Lake City very close to one another. In fact many accounts tell of people going from one Co. to another during the evening to visit with friends and relatives. Although we do not know which Co. they traveled with, the accounts included in these histories are hoped to be representative of what they experienced. "Affairs in Utah," New York Times, 24 May 1863 Correspondence of the New-York Times. GREAT SALT LAKE CITY, Wednesday, April 29, 1863. The city (Salt Lake City) has been exceedingly lively the week past with ox teams from most of the settlements, being parts of the grand caravan of five hundred wagons destined for the Missouri River, for the express purpose of bringing the poor Mormon emigrants to "Zion." The wagons are all of the
  • 11. staunchest kind available in the Territory. Each team consists of from four to five yoke of chiefly young cattle, and carries not only its own provisions, but a stock of flour to be "cached" in various depots or stations this side of Laramie, for the sustenance of the aforesaid coming poor folk. This service appears to be rendered partly in commutation of the "tithing" paid by the faithful, and partly as a "free-will offering" to aid the cause. The companies are sometimes organized into hundreds, but oftener into fifties; each fifty subdivided into tens; each fifty and each ten with its respective Captain," whose authority smacks much of the patriarchal. John W. Woolley, John Murdock, Horton D. Haight, Peter Nebeker, William B. Preston, Thomas Ricks, Rosel Hyde, John F. Sanders, S. D. White and D. D. McArthur are named as Captain of Fifties. Some of the wagons are freighting cotton eastward, grown near the southern limits of this Territory. Several tons of this article are now on their way to be sold in the States, as anticipated in one of my letters several weeks ago. Some of the more conservative of the Utah politicians are grieving over the export of this raw material, as they ruminate on the present prices of factory in the stores, 50 to 70 cents per yard. But it must be considered that in Utah there is no way of turning cotton into calico, except by the homely hand-loom method. So successful is this policy considered of sending teams hence to the Missouri in the Spring, to return in the Fall, that some of the merchants, and others who go East to purchase on commission, are commencing to adopt the same-at least in part. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- From Florence, Nebraska to Salt Lake City, Utah,15773,3966-1,00.html Company:Unidentified Companies (1863) Depart Florence, Neb, 6 – 14 Aug 1863 Arived SLC, Utah, 3 – 15 Oct 1863 Peacock, Harriet Louise, Born: 10 Nov. 1836, Died: 15 Mar.1915 Gender: Female, Age: 26 Daniel D. McArthur Company (1863) On our way a big cloud of dust was observed by the Captain (Daniel D. McArthur Company) several miles away. To them it was important so the order was to corral. Our curiosity was soon aroused when our eyes beheld a sight never seen before. Thousands of wild buffaloes passed by in their well-beaten trails moving to water and fresh feed. Such a sight! What a thrill! In their passing, we felt the terror of the earth. Our teams seemed to accept the situation in a friendly mood as many were lying down chewing their cudd. We were soon on the way again with fresh experience and new angle of thought and meditation. Many Indians came to our camps. We, in our turn, guarded the cattle by night. This was new kind of work for us and many times very unpleasant, especially when fierce wet storms beat upon us. The Platte River was very low and afforded us a little diversion from our regular work. At noon and in the evening we would fasten a table fork to a stick and jab the fish in the pools of water in the riverbed. Occasionally we would enjoy buffalo meat furnished by company hunters. In the fine moonlight and by the light of campfire we would often trip after the day's journey to the strains of good music. Thus, the time was spent and our trip had its trials and joys. We arrived at the public square in Salt Lake City during the early part of October.
  • 12. UNIDENTIFIED COMPANY Source of Trail Excerpt: West, Charles Henry John, Reminiscences [ca. 1900], 7-9. Aboard “Amazon” We stayed at Florence a few days before starting across the plains. We were 10 weeks on the plains and arrived in Salt Lake City the 4th day of October 1863, just in time for Conference. The first day to me the walking behind the slow gait of the oxen was fun. When we got to a place where there was good grass for the cattle we could stop and cook our dinner or supper as the case may be. My wife not being used to the way of mixing our flour for bread got too much salaratus in, so we had some nice looking yellow bread for buskits, one of the boys told my wife what proportion to put in, so afterwards we had some good bread. One day towards evening our Captain told us to prepare for a big wind storm, had all the fires put out and the wagons all in a circle, the wheels of each wagon fastened together with heavy log chains, and the cattle all inside of the enclosure. We had barely got ready when the storm came, such a piercing and stormy wind, that it seemed to all most take our breath away. We had to hold on to the wagons less we be blown away. After it was over I don't think there was one wagon cover left all had been blown to pieces. Our son Jabez William he got hurt through being run over by one of the wagons, and was badly hurt. I did not know whether it was broke or not it swelled up to a great size. I was recommended by one of the teamsters to catch the drippings of the oxen and apply it as a poultice. I done so several times, and the swelling went down and he soon got the use of his leg again. We continued our journey day after day about the same routine, one continuous stretch of country no houses to be seen on the journey. We would come across some of our young brethren, who were left to look after the provisions for the Saints, when we got to these different places, they being alone so long, when they saw our train, they would jump for joy and make quite a demonstration with their frying pans clapping them together. After loading up all the provisions they had for the camp, they would turn in and follow. We were in all 10 weeks on the plains, when we arrived at Salt Lake City on the camping grounds in the 8th Ward square. The friends and relations of different ones would come and take them away to their homes. Daniel D. McArthur Company (1863) – Sloan, E. L., Letter, in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 25 Sept. 1863, 2-3. Aboard “Amazon” Brother E. L. [Edward Lennox] Sloan wrote the following: On the morning of the 25th of Sept. 1863, a little before 9 o'clock a party of 21 mounted men, calling themselves United States soldiers from Fort Bridger, rode into our camp and informed Captain Daniel Mc Arthur that he must go with them to the Fort, taking his train with them. We were traveling along the road known as "Muddy", following the river the road being much superior in many respects, for our cattle in the condition in which they were. [ … ]
  • 13. On arrival at the camping ground, within a mile of the Fort, our guard, which had been renewed on the road left us, having enjoyed the, to them, satisfaction of indulging in a abundance of jeers, coarse jokes and abuse at our expense, especially while the wagons were being assisted up the steep ascent alluded to before. The officer in charge at Bridger, in the absence of the officer commanding, who had gone to Ham's Fork to meet the following trains, as he should have done with us, affected to look upon us as Secessionists; but, upon the Captain (Wagon Train Captain) expressing his feelings and intentions in plain and marked language, suddenly became wonderfully civil, took the Captains word for the contents of the wagons, and postponed the ceremony of swearing until the following morning. Saturday, 26th The citizens of the Republic were mustered inside the corral this morning, and not at the Fort and had the oath of allegiance administered to them, after which the aliens were sworn to neutrality between the belligerent North and South. This concluded the entire business for which we were dragged across the country, like prisoners taken in arms, and which could have been attended to where we lay camped and previous morning, with equal ease. We wrote out a protest and demand for $500 compensation for the Captain, which he handed to the officer in charge, who declared his inability to do anything in the matter. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- John W. Woolley Company (1863 McLachlan, William, Journal, in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 4 Oct. 1863, 13-19. Aboard “Amazon” Notice how close the Wooley, Haight and Ricks Companies are to each other. Saturday 1st August, 1863. In the night we had quite a heavy thunder storm; the rain soaked through the covering of the waggon [wagon] and wet our bed clothes. Tuesday 11" August. Weather dry, but bad traveling, owing to the quantity of rain we had the day previous. Camped about 5-30 p.m. 2 miles this side of Fremont. Captain Haight [Horton D. Haight and] Rixs's [Thomas E. Ricks] trains close by us. Friday 14" August. Before we rolled out this morning a merchant train passed our camp. Arrived at Loupe Fork a little before 12 o'clock; had to wait till the merchant train as well as Haight's train was ferried across. Several Indians came along side of our train begging. Tuesday 25" August. A few of our night herd went out at noon to hunt buffalo. Shortly after we had camped in the evening they arrived with large pieces of buffalo strapped on each of their horses. Thursday 27" August. Lost one of our passengers this afternoon, a female. The night herders went back a little way in search of her, but could not find her.
  • 14. Sunday 30" August. Passed Ash Hollow this morning and nooned at Castle Creek where we took up some flour. Captains Haight's & Ricks' trains came up before we started and nooned close by us. Friday 4" September. Shortly after we had rolled out of camp our night herds came up after being away 4 days in search of the lost sister. They succeeded in finding her, and left her in charge of Captain Hyde. Saturday 5" September, 1863. Several Indians on horseback came round us just as we got into camp. Had to drive the cattle a long way for water. Captain Haight's train passed our camp at midnight. Wednesday 16" September. Two children in our train died during the day. Sunday 20" September. Had some antelope for breakfast. Thursday 24" September. This morning about 8 a.m. they left Green River with their mules loaded with powder from Haight's train, on their mountain trail Friday 25" September, 1863. This morning as we were driving up our cattle 25 U.S. soldiers made their appearance and requested both aliens and citizens to take an oath of allegiance to the Constitution of the United States, which we did. He afterwards caused our captain, J. W. Woolley to take an oath that he had no powder or ammunition in his possession, only that necessary for his own protection and those under his charge. We then rolled out of camp and camped in the evening on Muddy Creek. 3 to 15 Oct 1863, Arrived Salt Lake City, Utah Harriet Louise Peacock then made her way to Smithfield, Utah On 3 Jan 1864, Harriet L. Peacock Married James Joseph Meikle at Smithfield, Cache Co., Utah Harriet Louis Peacock Meikle Died: 15 Mar 1915, Buried 25 Mar 1915 at Smithfield, Cache Co, Utah
  • 15. Link to Watford, Hertfordshire, England!-watford-frame.htm
  • 16. Burial: Smithfield City Cemetery Smithfield, Cache County, Utah, USA, Plot: A_161_5 Your tombstone stands neglected and alone. The name and date are chiseled out on polished, marbled stone. It reaches out to all who care. It is too late to mourn. You did not know that I exist. You died and I was born. Yet each of us are cells of you in flesh, in blood, in bone. Our heart contracts and beats a pulse entirely not our own. Dear Ancestor, the place you filled so many years ago. Spreads out among the ones you left who would have loved you so. I wonder as you lived and loved, I wonder if you knew That someday I would find this spot and come to visit you. Author Unknown