Alfred J Peacock


Published on

Alfred James Peacock (1838 – 1891)

Published in: Spiritual, Business
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Alfred J Peacock

  1. 1. PIONEER HISTORY OF Alfred James Peacock (1838 – 1891) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Alfred James Peacock Born: 4 Mar 1838 Watford, Hertfordshire, England Baptism/christening date: 15 Apr 1838 Baptism/Christening Place: ST. MARYS, Watford, Hertfordshire, England Immigration: 4 May 1856 from Liverpool, England aboard ship “Thorton” Died: 15 Jan 1891, Salt Lake City, Utah The parish church of St Mary the Virgin, Watford, Hertfordshire, England was built in 1230 on the same site as an earlier Saxon church Alfred James Peacock. During 1856, at a spunky age of 18, he was recorded as working in Watford, England as a “cardmaker” or a “pipe maker”. He appears to be the first member of the Peacock family to affiliate himself with the LDS Church and to immigrate to Utah. On 4 May 1856 Alfred James Peacock, along with 763 members of the LDS Church, boarded the ship “Thornton” at Liverpool, England and sailed for “America” with an ultimate destination being Utah. They arrived in New York on 14 June 1856 then made their way to Iowa City, Iowa and became the members of the 3rd and 4th Hand Cart Companies. Alfred James Peacock, along with about 500 individuals, 100 handcarts, and 5 wagons, started the journey to Utah as the 4th Hand Cart Company.
  2. 2. Along the way many members decided to drop out and wait for the following spring. At Florence, Nebraska about 100 members decided to stay behind until spring time. Winter began to show itself and supplies became short. 30 Sept. 1856, the Co. arrived at Fort Laramie in Wyoming. On Sunday, 12 Oct. 1856, Alfred Peacock and Geo [William] Edwick left the 4th Handcart Company and returned to Fort Laramie. The 4th Handcart Company moved on and arrived in Salt Lake Valley: 9 November 1856.  Foet Laramie 1850s “Sunday 12th Oct. Alfred Peacock & George (William) Edwick left our company & returned towards Fort Laramie” We do not have any history about Alfred James Peacock after he left the 4th Handcart Co on 12 Oct. 1856, near Ft. Laramie in Wyoming until his death on 15 Jan 1891 in Salt Lake City, Utah. His friend, William Edwick who left the 4th Handcart Co with him, died in Salt Lake City two years later (1858). It is probable they both came to Salt Lake City, Utah during the spring/summer of 1857. There is no history indicating he visited other members of the Peacock Family who lived in Smithfield, Utah. However, starting during 1866-67 his sister, Martha Peacock, lived in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is likely that they had some contact. Records show Alfred James Peacock’s occupation was Saloon Keeper. He appears to have been a member of the Masonic Lodge in Salt Lake City, Utah. Frequently Seen in Salt Lake City 1885-1990
  3. 3. 23 Sept 1885 Salt Lake Tribune: Page 4 Column 4 “CITY COUNCIL” FUNERAL NOTICE JANUARY 17, 1891 “THE DAILY TRIBUNE”: SALT LAKE CITY UTAH, SATURDAY MORNING, JANUARY 17, 1891, Page 8 Some words very hard to read FUNERAL NOTICE – All Members of Salt Lake Valley Lodge No 13 (?), ANUW (A?UW) Are requested to ????? at their Hall at 9:30 Sunday, January 18, 1891, to attend the funeral of our late Bro. Peacock, at residence, at 11 a.m. Members of Temple Lodge No (??), and sojourning brothers, cordially invited C.H. KAULER, M W. The following are excerpts from sources related to the ship “Thorton” and the Willie 4th Handcart Co. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Rosters and Passenger Lists: Peacock, Alfred J., 1856, NA, NA, Perpetual Emigration Fund (Book)-Microfilm 25686 Peacock, Alfred I., 1856, NA, Thornton, Ship roster on microfilm(s) 175519 25691 Peacock, Alfred, 1856, 18, James G. Willie, Handcart Roster in Our Pioneer Heritage Peacock, Alfred, 1856, 18, Willie, Handcarts to Zion, pages 289-294 Peacock, Alfred, 1856, NA, James G. Willie, Deseret News Oct-15-1856 Vol. 6 p. 254 EMIGTATION RECORD: Alfred J. Pecock at age 18 yrs. Ship: “Thornto:” Date of Departure: 4 May 1856, Port of Departure: Liverpool, England LDS Immigrants: 764 Church Leader: James G. Willie Date of Arrival: 14 Jun 1856 Port of Arrival: New York, New York Depart New York City 15th June 1856 Arrived Iowa City: 26th June 1856 Departed Iowa City: 15 July 1856 with James G. Willie Company, 4th Handcart Co. Alfred J. Peacock, Leaves the Handcart Co 12 Oct. 1856, Returns to Ft. Laramie 4th Handcart Co. Arrive in Salt Lake Valley: 9 November 1856
  4. 4. Excerpts from the Thorton vorage, trek to Iowa City, and members of the 4th Handcart Company: Ship: 1422 tons: 191' x 40' x 29' Built: 1854 by William H. Webb at New York City, New York She was owned by Williams & Guion of New York City and in 1858 was listed in the Warren & Thayer Line. This ship traded in the Atlantic until she was lost at sea in 1869 A Mormon emigrant company that in a few months would encounter much hardship and tragedy sailed from Liverpool for America in the large square-rigged Thornton on 4 May 1856. Presiding over the 764 Saints on board was Elder James G. Willie. This chartered vessel was commanded by her part-owner, Captain Charles Collins. After a forty-one-day passage the Thornton arrived at New York City on 14 June. From there the Saints traveled by rail to Iowa City, and about five hundred of the emigrants organized a handcart company. However, their trek to Great Salt Lake City started late in the season and was marked by suffering and disaster. Over sixty Saints died on the historic journey, and the remainder arrived in a pitiful condition. Thorton: SHIPS ROSTER PEACOCK, Alfred J. <1838> Age: 18 Origin: England Occ: Cardmaker 235 Alfred Peacock: Age 18, Male, Occupation: pipe maker. LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND TO NEW YORK, USA "DEPARTURE. -- The ship Thornton, Captain Collins, cleared on May 3rd , 1856 and sailed on the May 4th , 1856 for New York, with 764 souls of the Saints on board (560 adults, 172 children, 29 infants), 484 of the total number were P. [Perpetual] E. [Emigration] F. [Fund] emigrants, expected to cross the plains with hand-carts. Considerable sickness prevailed among the emigrants of whom a number were old and sickly, Seven deaths, three births and two marriages took place on board… On 14th June 1856 the Thornton arrived at New York, and a tug boat landed the emigrants at Castle Garden, where they were kindly received by Apostle John Taylor and Elder Nathaniel H. Felt. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- There was one cook stove for each deck and our family was allowed to use it for an hour each week. The ship's diet was largely bean biscuit soaked overnight. This would still be dry in the center in the morning. But we were happy and after a voyage of forty-one days we landed in New York, Saturday Evening, June 4, 1856. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- LIVERPOOL TO NEW YORK Journal of James G. Willie Aboard “Thorton” Departed: 4 May 1856 . Monday 5th May. [p.2] Sea sickness soon began to be experienced with the exception of a few all felt its effects, and many were unable to rise from their beds during the day. The Captain, Doctor and Officers were very kind, and did all in their power to promote our comfort. Saturday 17th May. Strong gales throughout from the west, very heavy head sea. 4 p.m. tacked north. But few troubled with sea sickness.
  5. 5. Thursday 22nd May. All the Saints came on deck, general good health prevailed. A meeting was called between decks by President Willie to take into consideration the necessity of more strictly guarding the interest of those committed to our care and among other things the necessity of the young men removing to the forepart of the ship, and all young men were to be at their berths by 10 p.m. President Willie and Elder Atwood spoke and a number of the brethren were appointed sergeants of the guard. Friday 30th May. fine, clear weather, large icebergs in sight. At 4 p.m. Clipper ship passed at midnight foggy, a number of icebergs around, weather very cold. Tacked south for. Passengers enjoying good health and spirits. With regret we have to relate that an accident occurred at 4 p.m Saturday 7th June. Comes in fine and clear, high airs from the east round to the south, ends strong breeze, thick fog. Mary F. Lark, daughter of William and Mary Lark, died at 3 a.m. of consumption, aged 10 years, buried at 12 noon. Saturday 14th. This morning a clear sky and favorable wind 4 a.m. tacked ship and stood for Sandy Hook. At 8 a.m. steam boat Achilles came along side, Captain Collins engaged her to tow us to New York. General stir among the passengers all getting ready to land; good feeling prevailing. Doctor came on board off Staten Island and gave a certificate of the good health of the passengers. The Custom House also came and passed our luggage without any inspection. At sun down we landed at Castle Gardens, a large building appropriated for emigrants, where we were visited by Elder Felt who kindly welcomed us. IN NEW YORK New York Herald “More Mormons” The good ship Thornton, from Liverpool, with seven hundred and fifty Mormons on board, arrived at this port yesterday, and the Saints were safely housed in the emigrants’s retiring rooms at Castle Garden before night. They are a solid and comfortable looking body of passengers for the New Jerusalem of the Great Salt Lake. See our reporter’s account in another column. At this rate of increase–for the brethren appear to be sending out to the Salt Lake reinforcements at the rate of from twenty to thirty thousand a year–at this rate, we say, the Mormon Territory of Utah, upon the score of population, will probably be entitled to admission before Kansas, notwithstanding the fact that Utah appear, amid this Kansas fuss and fury, to be wholly overlooked. At all events they may expect at Washington, in a week or two, a formal application from the Saints of Utah for admission into the Union as a sovereign state, polygamy and all. And here comes a nice question–nicer than niggers– between Congress or does squatter sovereignty cover the question of polygamy? Does the Constitution reach it? What is to be done with it? The question will soon be put, and it will have to be met. We should in the meantime, like to have the opinion of some of our belligerent clergymen, so anxious about the nigger question in Kansas, whether under the constitution , a state can or cannot be admitted into the Union, the religion of which state allows a man two, five, ten or fifty wives at his discretion. Utah and the Saints must be looked after.–[New York Herald] June 17th , 1856 We like amazingly the Herald’s notion about “belligerent clergymen giving their opinion on Utah’s admission into the Union. They are so remarkably united in their interpretation of the Bible, we should think their interpretation of the constitution would be beyond all price. Congress could not fail to be greatly assisted by the light of clerical opinions. What would the Herald think of getting “belligerent clergymen” into the Senate, like Bishops in the British House of Lords? Oh! we forgot, there is no national religion in the United States, and it would never do to have Unitarians and Trinitarians, sprinklers and dippers, Shakers and Quakers. and all the other ers and isms, in congress. They would spoil the “peace and harmony” of the honorable body. Should anything of the sort ever take place, Washington might count on the opening of gutta percha cane stores.
  6. 6. ============================================================================== Following are journal excerpts from the trek from New York to Iowa City. NEW YORK TO IOWA CITY Journal of James G. Willie Sunday 15th June 1856. the day was spent in arranging our things, and many of the Saints attended the meeting in the City. We were visited by many of our brethren and sisters and much good feeling was manifested towards us. Monday 16th. President John Taylor visited us and gave us much good instruction and counsel in relation to our future proceedings. President Willie engaged in making preparations for leaving for the Camp while the Saints were engaged in seeing to their luggage. Several gentlemen and editors of papers visited us, and generally manifested friendly feelings. Several paragraphs were put in the papers commendatory of the passengers of their general cleanly appearance. . Tuesday 17th. This morning the Saints very busy going on board the barge with their luggage. About 10 a.m. the steamboat took us to the New York and Erie R.R. depot where we remained till 7 p.m., each passenger's luggage was weighed, 50 lbs. being the weight for each adult. The steam boat took us to pier Mount where we arrived at 11 p.m. when we took the Rail for Dunkirk, a distance of 460 miles. Wednesday 18th June. Saints traveled all day and night and though much crowded together felt well in spirit as well as in body. Thursday 19th. This day we arrived at Dunkirk at 12 noon feeling generally well though tired with the irksome journey by Rail. Capt. Willie returned. Procured all the provisions we could get in the town. At 6 p.m. we embarked on board the Jersey City, a screw steam boat, bound for Toledo, distance 280 miles and though much crowded good spirit and feeling prevailed. The sea was quite calm as we were on Lake Erie. Saturday 21st June. [p.13] This morning about 9 a.m. we arrived at Toledo and disembarked at the Railroad station, where we remained till the evening, taking the rail again for Chicago. The Railroad authorities at Toledo manifested a very unkind spirit towards us, putting us to all the inconvenience in their power. Procured all the provisions we could get at Toledo. The Saints feel well. Sunday 22nd. At 5 p.m. we arrived at Chicago where we were very roughly treated by the Railroad conductor, he insisting on our landing in the street, which we were obliged to do, and after much trouble in finding the Railroad Superintendent we prevailed with him to allow us the use of an empty warehouse for the night the weather to all appearance indicating a thunderstorm Tuesday 24th June. This morning the remainder of the Company joined us. Left for Rock Island and arrived at 11 p.m. .and slept n the cars all night. Wednesday 25th June. This morning through the kindness of the Superintendent, he procured us a large warehouse to remain in while there an in consequence of the Railroad bridge being destroyed, we had to cross the Mississippi in a steam ferry boat, which engrossed our time in shifting our luggage throughout the day. Quite a rowdy spirit was manifested by many, desiring access to the building, and in the evening, we had to keep a strong guard. We received a report through some friends that a mob intended to attack us in the night and gain access to our young women. The Lord overruled all for our good, for which we feel to be grateful and to express our thankfulness to Him. Obtained all the provisions we could get.
  7. 7. Thursday 26th June. This morning at 7 a.m. we left and crossed the Mississippi by the steam ferry boat, and at 9 a.m. we left by rail for Iowa City, arrived at 1:30 p.m. and camped on the green, but in consequence of a thunderstorm approaching, we obtained possession of a large Engine shed and remained there during the night, it raining in torrents all night. Many of the brethren from the Camp visited and cordially welcomed us, and on their return took a large number of the sisters to the Camp with them. Friday 27th June. This morning it still continued to rain, about noon it cleared up, and the roads drying very fast, so much so that before night all the passengers were removed to the Camp, with most of their luggage, BIB: James G. Willie Emigrating Company. Journal. (Ms 1477), pp. 1-15. (HDA) FROM IOWA CITY TO SALT LAKE CITY Web site about Willies Handcart Co.,15797,4017-1-319,00.html James G. Willie Company (1856) Departure: 15 July 1856 Arrival in Salt Lake Valley: 9 November 1856 4th handcart company which had about 500 individuals, 100 handcarts, and 5 wagons in the company when it began its journey from the outfitting post at Iowa City, Iowa. View a list of individuals known to have traveled in this company. View a list of sources to learn more about this company. ======================================================================= THE COMPLETE SOURCE LIST IS EXTENSIVE. THE FOLLOWING ARE JUST EXERPTS. ------------------------------------------------------------------- FROM IOWA CITY TO SLC Reminiscences of George Cunningham When we went through a town or settlement, pulling our handcarts as we always had to do, people would turn out in crowds to laugh at us, crying gee and haw as if we were oxen. But this did not discourage us in the least, for we knew that we were on the right track. That was enough. After several weeks pulling, hauling and praying, we arrived at Florence but were detained again several weeks more. Some stayed here, and would not go any farther. In fact, we were told that if any wanted to stop that they might do so, but the counsel was to go on to the valleys. I can remember of being at a meeting one night when Brother Levi Savage, a returning missionary arose and spoke. He counseled the old, weak, and sickly to stop until another spring. The tears commenced to flow down his cheeks and he prophesied that if such undertook the journey at that late season of the year that their bones would strew the way. At length we started, but our number was greatly reduced. About one hundred stayed who would not go any farther (i.e. Florence, Neb.) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  8. 8. G. Willie Emigrating Company, Journal 1856 May-Nov., 16-53 (A small sample of the full Journal) Monday 29 Sept. Left Camp about 8 a.m., passed an Indian Agency Station where some Sioux Indians were camped. Nooned at a vacant Trading Post 7 miles from Fort Laramie and camped for the night on the road near an Indian Burying Ground about 4 miles from that Fort with weeds and young cottonwood for the cattle. The first thing this morning it was discovered that several sisters had left the Camp and had taken up their residence at the Fort. Early this morning Bro. David Reeder died, aged 54. He was born at Rumburgh, Suffolk, in England. Lucinda M. Davenport left camp on the previous night with an apostate Mormon. It was discovered this morning she was with Grant & Kimball's wagon on the journey. Christine Brown of the Handcart Company also staid at Fort Laramie. William Read [Reed] died coming to camp in a wagon—he was born at North Crawley, Buckinghamshire, England, aged 63. Thursday 2nd A meeting was held in the evening, Bros. Willie, Atwood & Savage addressed it on the necessity of shortening the rations of the camp, that our flour might hold out till supplies should meet us. The people were willing to listen to Capt. Willie' s suggestion, & it was unanimously approved of by the people. Friday 3rd Oct. Road leaves the River, ascended some steep bluffs & rolled on. Nooned on a dry creek. Rolled on again, descended the Bluffs & travelled till dark. Camped by the road, travelled about 21 miles. Peter Larsen, aged 43, from Lolland, Denmark, died during the day. Saturday 4th. The camp rolled on about 3 miles & the company staid to allow the sisters to wash clothes, &. Benjamin Culley, aged 61, from Sprowston, Norfolk, England, died; also George Ingra, aged 68, from Bassingbourne, Cambridgeshire, England died; also Daniel Gadd, aged 2, from Orwell, Cambridgeshsire, England, died. A cow was killed in the afternoon. Wednesday 8th. This morning one of our best oxen belonging to the P.E. Fund, died—supposed to have eaten a poisonous weed. [ … ] camped on Deer Creek. Four U. S. soldiers from Laramie on their way to a military post camped near us. A cow was killed in the evening for the use of the camp. Travelled about 15 miles during the day. Thursday 9th. Rolled on 9½ miles & nooned on the Platte. Samuel Gadd, from Orwell, Cambridgeshire, England died in the afternoon, aged 42 years. The company rolled on 7 miles farther & camped on the banks of the Platte. Saturday 11th. Travelled about 12 miles & camped; the road was hilly. Several of our cows gave out that were hauling wagons; one died on the road or was killed by wolves. Sunday 12th Oct. Alfred Peacock & George (William) Edwick left our company & returned towards Fort Laramie. =============================================================== INSERT Alfred James Peacock’s friend, Geo William] Edwick, who left the 4th Handcart Co. with him, appears to have died about two (2) years later. His age would have been about 21 or 22 EDWICK, William <1839> Age:17, Origin:Cambridge, England, Occ: Telegraph Clerk
  9. 9.,15791,4018-1-19541,00.html Edwick, William, Birth Date: ca. 1839, Age 19 Death Date: 16 Nov. 1858 Gender: Male, Age: 17, Company: James G. Willie Company (1856) Pioneer Information: left company and returned to Fort Laramie on 12 Oct. In "Faithful Stewards––the life of James Gray Willie and Elizabeth Ann Pettit" he is referred to as "George" Edwick.,15791,4018-1-19541,00.html Edwick, William: Birth Date: ca. 1839, Death Date: 16 Nov. 1858, Company: James G. Willie Company (1856) "Deaths," Deseret News [Weekly], 17 Nov. 1858. Salt Lake City, Utah “ Desert News”, November 17, 1858; Page 3 Ague: Popularly, the disease was known as "fever and ague," "chill fever," "the shakes," and by names expressive of the locality in which it was prevalent--such as, "swamp fever" (in Louisiana), "Panama fever," and "Chagres fever." Canker - An ulcerous sore of the mouth and lips, not considered fatal today; herpes simplex Synonym: aphthous stomatitis. See cancrum otis. CONTINUED Monday 13th.. Travelled about 13 miles. Paul Jacobsen, from Lolland, Denmark, aged 55 died this evening. Wednesday 15th. Early this morning, Caroline Reeder, from Linstead, Suffolk, England, aged 17 years, died. The camp rolled on, passed "Devils Gate" & nooned after travelling about 6 miles. Last evening a council & a meeting were held to take into consideration our provisions & the time it was considered we should have to make it last before we could depend upon supplies. It was unanimously agreed to reduce the rations of flour one fourth—the men then would get 10½ ozs. per day; women, & large children 9 ozs. per day; children 6 ozs. per day; & infants 3 ozs. per day each. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Rogerson, Josiah, "Captain J. G. Willie's Or, the Fourth Handcart Company of 1856 [No. 2]," Salt Lake Herald, 5 Jan. 1908 Arrival at Fort Laramie. On Sept. 30, While at the fort, some soldiers visited our camp and conducted themselves with propriety. Two of the sisters thought proper to stay there. Lucinda M. Davenport, who immediately married an apostate that had just come from the valley, and Christina Brown. Reduction of Rations. In consequence of our limited supply of provisions, I considered it necessary to slightly reduce the amount of the daily ration of flour, which was unanimously and willingly acceded to by the Saints. On Sunday, Oct. 12, Alfred Peacock and George Edwick were added to the list of deserters just before we arrived at the upper crossing of the Platte. On that same day, it was considered necessary to make a still further reduction in the daily ration of flour, and accordingly it was fixed at 10 ounces for men, 9 ounces for women, 6 ounces for children and 3 ounces for infants. This turned out to be a very wise and economic arrangement, as it just enabled us to ration out our provisions until the very day when we received material aid from the valley. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  10. 10. We passed through Fort Laramie on September 30, where a few supplies were bought. We soon began to realize that we had started our journey too late in the year. There were no more buffalo to be found, and our rations were getting low. We had already had some snow and the weather conditions looked unfavorable. Our scant rations had reached the point where the amount ordinarily consumed for one meal now had to suffice for a full day. From here on it is beyond my power of description to write. God only can understand and realize the torture and privation, exposure, and starvation we went through. Now word reached us that we must hasten or winter would soon come upon us. Instead of speeding up, the weakened condition of our older members slowed us down. Each day one or more would die. A few more days, and then came the most terrible experience of my life. This was October 20th. Winter had come, snow fell continuously. Movement in any direction was practically stopped. Our scant rations were now gone. Then or twelve of our members, faithful to the last were buried in a single grave. Starvation was taking its toll. A day or two later my own father closed his eyes, never to wake again. He, too, had given his life cheerfully for the cause that he espoused. We buried him in a lonely grave, its spot unmarked. This was not far from Green River, Wyoming. During these terrible times it seemed only a matter of days before all would parish. We resorted to eating anything that could be chewed; even bark and leaves of trees. We youngsters ate the rawhide from our boots. This seemed to sustain life. Then when it seemed all would be lost, already 66 of our members dead, like a thunderbolt out of the clear sky, God answered our prayers. A rescue party, bringing food a supplies from Great Salt Lake City, sent by President Brigham Young, came in sight. Those of you who have never had this experience cannot realize its intensity. I shoveled snow out of our tent with a tin plate belonging to my mother’s mother. We were cared for by a dear brother who was very kind to us. He seemed like an angel from heaven. We left our handcarts and rode in his wagon and slowly, but safely, he brought us to Zion. We passed through Fort Bridger on November 2, and arrived in Great Salt Lake City, November 9, 1856. . . . BIB: Oborn, John, [Autobiography] Heart Throbs of the West, Comp. by Kate B. Carter, vol. 6 (Salt Lake City: Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1945) pp. 364-66. (HDL) ================================================================================ SOURCES "The Willie and Martin Hancart story" - Act of Courage - LDS Church History - YOUTUBE The Willie and Martin Handcart Story – YOUTUBE – MODERN SUMMERTIME TRECK =================================================================
  11. 11. Peacock & Pilgrim Families It is noted that Alfred James Peacock’s sisters, Harriet Louisa Peacock AND Annie Peacock, plus friend Susan Elizabeth Pilgrim immigrated during 1863 and all three resided in Smithfield, Utah. Annie Peacock married Thomas Pilgrim who had immigrated during 1852. Thomas Pilgrims’ sister, Rebecca Pilgrim at age 30, was also a member of the 4th Handcart Co and stayed with the original Co arriving in SLC, Utah 9 November 1856. Rebecca Pilgrim lived in Lehi, Utah. ================================================================= Reference last page: Viewing the cemetery memorial it appears Alfred James Peacock was a man of some substance. Name: Alfred James Peacock Gender: Male Birth Date: 4 Mar 1838 Place: Watford, Hertfordshire, England Baptism/Christening Place: ST. MARYS, WATFORD, HERTFORD, ENGLAND Death Date 15 Jan 1891 Death Place: Salt Lake City, S.L., Utah; Age: 54 Occupation: Saloon Keeper Race: White Marital Status: Married Father's Name: William Peacock Father's Birthplace: English Mother's Name: Phillis Peacock Mother's Birthplace: English Indexing Project (Batch) Number: B54925-7 ; System Origin: Utah-EASy, Source Film Number: 26554 Reference Number: p15 dth. #57 UTAH BURIAL RECORDS Burial Information: PEACOCK, ALFRED J. name: Alfred James Peacock gender: Male birth: 4 Mar 1838 Watford,Herts,Eng death: 15 Jan 1891 AFN: 33SV-WFP Father: William Peacock Jr. (AFN: 33SV-W52 ) Mother:Phyllis Hyom (AFN: 33SV-W7G ) Marriages (1) spouse: Emily Payne (AFN: 33SW-GSV ) Birth: 0/0/1837 - Death: 1/15/1891 - Burial: 1/18/1891 Place of Birth: WATFORD,ENGLAND - Place of Death: SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH Grave Location: Salt Lake City Cemetery , REM2209
  12. 12. “THE DAILY TRIBUNE”: SALT LAKE CITY UTAH, SATURDAY MORNING, JANUARY 17, 1891, Page 8 Some words very hard to read FUNERAL NOTICE – All Members of Salt Lake Valley Lodge No 13 (?), ANUW (A?UW) Are requested to ????? at their Hall at 9:30 Sunday, January 18, 1891, to attend the funeral of our late Bro. Peacock, at residence, at 11 a.m. Members of Temple Lodge No (??), and sojourning brothers, cordially invited C.H. KAULER, M W. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following notice was run just above the “Peacock funeral notice” on Jan. 17, 1891. So, I think maybe they were placed at the same time and the “Lodge” referred to in the “Peacock funeral notice” was directed toward members of a Salt Lake City, Utah Masonic Lodge. SIDE NOTE: Few residents of Salt Lake City know that their library system owes its origin in part to the Masons. Christopher Diehl, Grand Secretary and dedicated bibliophile, worked unceasingly to establish a public library. While he was begging for Masonic and non-Masonic books, the Ladies Literary Society, composed mostly of wives of Masons, struggled unsuccessfully to establish a public library. When their efforts failed, they put their 900-plus volumes in storage, to be given to Diehl when he opened the Masonic Public Library. Here, again, the effort proved more than the Masons could bear; therefore the Society delivered the 9,981 volumes they had accumulated to the mayor of Salt Lake. Meanwhile, the state legislature adopted an empowering act permitting cities to assess a tax levy to support public libraries. From this modest beginning, Salt Lake City has developed its impressive library. FIND A GRAVE Alfred James Peacock Birth: Mar. 4, 1838, England Death: Jan. 15, 1891, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA Son of William Peacock and Phyllis Hyom. Born in Watford, Hertfordshire, England. Husband of Emily Payne. Burial: Mount Olivet Cemetery Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA Plot: Section O Created by: Wendy White Find A Grave Memorial# 39039084
  13. 13. INSCRIPTIONS READS: ALFRED JAMES PEACOCK BORN AT WATFORD, ENGLAND MAR 4, 1838 DIED JAN 15, 1891 AT REST Your tombstone stands among the rest neglected and alone. The name and date are chiseled out on polished, marbled stone. It reaches out to all who care. It is too late to mourn. You did not know that I exist. You died and I was born. Yet each of us are cells of you in flesh, in blood, in bone. Our heart contracts and beats a pulse entirely not our own. Dear Ancestor, the place you filled so many years ago. Spreads out among the ones you left who would have loved you so. I wonder as you lived and loved, I wonder if you knew That someday I would find this spot and come to visit you. Author Unknown
  14. 14. INTERESTING SPECULATION There is a somewhat notorious A.J. Peacock who was part of the original founders of Dodge City Kansas during 1870-80s. THIS MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE SAME ALFRED J. PEACOCK FROM WATERFORD, ENGLAND. He was an original County Commissioner, saloon and gambling hall owner. Many sites on the web relate him being involved in a gunfight with the “famous” Bat Masterson. 1870 A J Peacock in household of Thos Dunn, "United States Census" Location: Kansas 1880 Alfred J. Peacock, "United States Census" Location: Dodge, Ford, Kansas COWBOY CAPITAL search the text for A.J. Peacock The Charter of the Dodge City Town Company was filed August 30, 1872. [ … ] There were seven directors: Robert M. Wright, Herman J. Fringer, Henry L. Sitler, and Lyman B. Shaw, all of Fort Dodge; Richard I. Dodge and W. S. Tremain, of New York; and Edward Moale of Maryland. [3] Signatures, with seals, were: H. L. Sitler, R. M. Wright, A. J. Anthony, A. J. Peacock, W. S. Tremain, David Taylor, Herman J. Fringer, Sam Weichselbaum, Edw. Moale, Richard I. Dodge, Lyman B. Shaw, and A. S. Johnson. The signing Was before Justice of the Peace, Lyman B. Shaw, and notarized by Herman J. Fringer, 8th July, 1872. The new Dodge City Town Company raised capital, $6,000 by selling 600 shares of stock at $10 a share, probably in lots of 10 The transition is further carried on by the judge's transfer of the land to Occupants of the Town-site, Dodge City, Ford County, Kansas, by Warranty Deed, Date August 21, 1873, Consideration $1.00, date of acknowledgement, August 7, 1873, before D. Witt C. Smith, Clerk District Court, Ellis County, State of Kansas, and filed February 23, 1878, at 3 P.M. and Recorded in Vol. "A" Page 491. The members of Occupants of the Town-site are listed as R. M. Wright, W. S. Tremain, P. Ryan, John Haney, James H. Kelley, E. B. Kirk, G. M. Hoover, A. J. Peacock, A. J. Anthony, Geo. B. Cox, Jacob Collar, Herman J. Fringer, F. C. Tupper, Charles Rath, Morris Collar, R. W. Evans, F. C. Zimmerman, H. L. Sitler, and A. B. Webster. GUNFIGHT [ … ] Several months before the election, Jim Masterson had become a partner of A.J. Peacock in the Lady Gay Dance Hall and Saloon. Peacock hired his brother-in-law Al Updegraff as bartender. Masterson and Updegraff never got along. Masterson wanted to fire Updegraff, but Peacock sided with his brother-in-law, who supposedly filed a complaint for Masterson's arrest. At this point someone sent an unsigned telegram to Bat in Tombstone asking him to help Jim. Bat immediately set out for Dodge City. He had already lost one brother there and didn't intend to lose another. City Marshal Ed Masterson had been killed in April 1878 while trying to disarm a drunken cowboy. Bat arrived by train on April 16, 1881, and immediately confronted Peacock and Updegraff, who were both armed. No one knows who fired the first bullet, but soon all three were firing. [ … ] MANY MORE LINKS ABOUT THIS GUNFIGHT Search Bat Masterson Dodge City Kansas Many mentions of A.J Peacock from history of Dodge City, Kansas. Following is an example: Cowboy Capital (Exerpts)
  15. 15. The Charter of the Dodge City Town Company was filed August 30, 1872. It was drawn up August 15, 1872, to be designated and known as Dodge City August 21, 1873, the occupants of the townsite were R. M. Wright, [ … ] A. J. Peacock, [ …] The occupants of the Townsite raised funds to buy out homesteads by selling shares at $10 each in the company, thereby having an amount of $6,000. Presumably when a man could raise $100 he bought ten shares in the original townsite. [ … ] But the buffalo hides and meat kept rolling into Dodge City, [ … ]. The town was fairly blossoming out with stores and other business places. One could walk along Front Street and read the signs or read about them in the Dodge City Messenger -- Billiard Saloon, A. J. Peacock, Prop., the place for "SPORTING ON THE GREEN" Wine, liquor, Cigars, and billiards; [… ] POSSIBLE TIE BETWEEN THE ALFRED J. PEACOCK FROM WATERFORD, ENGLAND – DODGE CITY, KANSAS – SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH ???? FROM THE LINK ABOVE. “Other transactions named in the abstract author examined were: Alfred J. Peacock and Emma L. Peacock, his Wife to W. J. Fitzgerald, Quit Claim Deed, March 17, 1888, before William Fuller, Notary Public, Salt Lake County, Utah Territory; A. J. Peacock and Emma L. Peacock, his wife, to the Dodge City Town Company, a Quit Claim Deed, November 15, 1888, consideration $200, before Edward B. Critchlow, Notary Public, Salt Lake County, Utah Territory” =============================================================== HOWEVER: The 1870 & 1880 U.S. Census shows A, J. Peacock living in Kansa was born in the State of New York, U.S.A. NOT Watford, England. So there is question whether or not the same A. J. Peacock is referenced here.