"Jack" John H Gabbott WWII


Published on

"Jack" Jon H. Gabbott, U.S. Army WWII
32nd Infantry Division
121st Field Artillery
Battery C

Published in: News & Politics
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

"Jack" John H Gabbott WWII

  1. 1. “Jack” John Hopper Gabbott Born: 16 June 1909 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co, Utah Died: 3 January 1991 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Utah Burial: 7 January 1991 Murray City Cemetery, Salt Lake Co., Utah WWII 32nd Infantry Division 121st Field Artillery Battery C
  2. 2. Early 1944 John H. Gabbott, “Jack” as he known by friends and family, worked in the automotive industry and became a very proficient auto body repairman. He was married (1933) with two lovely daughters. During 1944 WWII was a major item of everyday conversation. Jack Gabbott was 35 years old and well beyond draft age. However, he decided he had enough; he was going to help, so on 11 April 1944 Jack was inducted in the U.S. Army. At his age he said the youngsters soon started calling him “Pops” Most young recruits were 16 to early 20’s years old. Typical early 1944 New Headlines Jan 10th - British troops conquer Maungdaw, Burma Jan 16th - Gen Eisenhower took command of Allied Invasion Force in London Jan 20th - RAF drops 2300 ton bombs on Berlin Jan 21st - 447 German bombers attack London Jan 21st - 649 British bombers attack Magdeburg Jan 22nd - Allied forces begin landing at Anzio Italy Jan 24th - Allied troops occupy Nettuno Italy Jan 27th - Leningrad liberated from Germany in 880 days with 600,000 killed Jan 30th - US invades Majuro, Marshall Islands Jan 30th - United States troops land on Majuro Feb 2nd - 4th US marine division conquerors Roi, Marshall Islands Feb 2nd - Allied troops 1st set foot on Japanese territory Mar 22nd - 600+ 8th Air Force bombers attack Berlin Jack served with the 32nd Infantry Division, 121st Field Artillery, Battery C. After WWII ended he returned to his family and previous profession. He seldom spoke of his time in the U.S. Army. The following provides some glimpse for posterity of this time in his life. Obituary John Hooper Gabbott, age 81, loving husband, died January 3, 1991. He was born June 26, 1909, in Salt Lake City, Utah. On June 10, 1933, he married Ruth E. Anderson in Murray, Utah. Their marriage was solemnized in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. Jack was a veteran of World War II, serving in the Army and was a High Priest in the LDS Church. A "Jack-of-All-Trades" he was a skillful and giving man, always ready to help benefiting both family and friends. He was a good and loving father, grandfather and great-grandfather. Survivors: wife, two daughters, ten grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren and seven sisters and brother.
  3. 3. “Jack” John Hooper Gabbott 1- April 11, 1944 - Join Army Report to Camp Roberts, Calif. - 17 Weeks Training 2- Late Aug. 1944 - completes Training 3- Leave to Visit Home, Busy Work On Base. 4- Dec. 2, 1944 - Depart U.S.A From San Franciso, Calif, 5- Dec. 23, 1944 - Arrive in So. Pacific. Participated in Leyte, Philippine Island Fighting. 6- Jan, 30, 1945 to Aug. 15, 1945 - Fighting in Luzon, Phillipine Islands 7- March 26, 1945 – PROMOTED To Private First Class 8- May 24, 1945 - Purple Heart for Wounds in Battle 9- Aug. 22, 1945 – PROMOTED To Tech 5 10- Nov. 16, 1945 – PROMOTED To Tech. 4 11- Nov or Early Dec. 1945 - Departs for U.S.A 12- 20 Jan. 1946 - Honorable Discharge
  4. 4. Weekend Leave – In Town with Buddies
  5. 5. Camp Roberts
  6. 6. Jack on leave visit with his Mother & Family
  7. 7. John “Jack” H. Gabbott assigned to: Battery C, 121st Field Artillery 32nd Infantry Division – “RED ARROW DIVISION” 32nd Infantry Division, 121st Field Artillery Battalion – Battery C - 75 mm howitzers On February 1, 1942, the 32nd Division was converted from "square" configuration to "triangular" and redesignated as the 32nd Infantry Division. Under the Division reorganization, the 121st Field Artillery Regiment was divided. The 1st Battalion was redesignated as the 121st Field Artillery Battalion and the 2nd Battalion became the 173rd Field Artillery Regiment. The 121st Field Artillery Battalion, as designated on February 1, 1942, distinguished itself in the Pacific Theatre of Operations. Its honors were: Aitape, Biak, Leyte, Luzon and New Guinea (with Saidor Arrowhead). Early in 1943 the 121st Field Artillery Battalion was issued 75 mm howitzers in place of the 155 mm howitzers that were its normal weapons as the general support battalion of Division Artillery
  8. 8. 75mm Pack Howitzer
  9. 9. 32nd “Red Arrow” Infantry Division WWII On 15 October 1940, the 32nd Division, Wisconsin and Michigan National Guard, was again called to Active Duty. In August and September of 1941, the 32nd Division participated in the 'Louisiana Maneuvers,' the greatest peacetime maneuver in the history of the United States Army. On 22 April 1942, the 32nd Division sailed from San Francisco, bound for the war in the South Pacific. They arrived in Port Adelaide, South Australia on 14 May 1942. On 15 September 1942 the first elements of the Division were flown from Australia to Port Moresby, New Guinea. The 32nd Division was the first U.S. Division to fight an offensive action against the Japanese in the Southwest Pacific. The Division fought in six major engagements in four Campaigns involving 654 days of combat, more than any other American Division. Many firsts were accredited to the 32nd “Red Arrow” Division. Eleven Medals of Honor, 157 Distinguished Service Crosses, 49 Legion of Merit, 845 Silver Stars, 1854 Bronze Stars, 98 Air Medals, 78 Soldiers Medals and 11,500 Purple Hearts were awarded its heroes. On 2 September 1945 General Tomoyuki Yamashita, Highest Commander of the Imperial Japanese Army in the Philippines, surrendered to the 32nd Infantry Division on Luzon. On 4 September 1945, an advance detachment of the 32nd Division (1st Battalion, 127th Infantry) was flown to Kyushu (southern most of the four main Japanese islands) for occupation duty, only 5 days behind the earliest troop landings anywhere in Japan. The remainder of the Division arrived in Japan by 14 October 1945. The 32nd Division was inactivated at Fukuoka, Japan on 28 February 1946. On 8 November 1946 the Division was again Federally recognized as the 32nd Infantry Division, Wisconsin National Guard.
  10. 10. Highlights of the 32nd Infantry Division "The Red Arrow" in World War II Combat Time 654 days of combat (15,696 hours) - more than any U.S. division in any war. This represents 48% of the total time the U.S. was in World War II. 41 months overseas, over 21 of them spent in combat. 6 major engagements in 4 campaigns. Decorations and Awards 11 Medals of Honor 157 Distinguished Service Crosses 845 Silver Stars 49 Legion of Merit 78 Soldiers Medals 1,854 Bronze Stars 11,500 Purple Hearts 98 Air Medals
  11. 11. Division Credits 1- First U.S. Division to fight an offensive action against the Japanese in the Southwest Pacific (Papuan Campaign). 2- First U.S. Division to be airborne into combat (Papuan Campaign). 3- First U.S. Division to make a beach landing in New Guinea Campaign (Saidor). 4- First to employ General MacArthur's by-pass strategy. 5- First U.S. Division to embark for overseas service in one convoy after 7 Dec. 1941. 6- First to simultaneously supply 11 battalions in combat in one action completely by airdrop (Aitape). 7- First to supply four infantry battalions for two days from artillery liaison "Cub" planes (Leyte). 8- First to publish an American servicemen's letterpress newspaper in the Southwest Pacific. 9- First to go into action at the foot of "the road back," was still fighting when the "cease fire" order came on 15 August 1945. 10- Elements of the 32nd Division were also among the first American occupation troops to land in Japan. World War II Campaigns of the 32nd “Red Arrow” Division Campaigns Dates Days Papuan Buna 20 Sep. 42 – 22 Jan. 43 117 New Guinea Saidor Aitape Morotai 2 Jan. 44 – 29 Apr. 44 22 Apr. 44 – 25 Aug. 44 15 Sep. 44 – 10 Nov. 44 118 125 57 Southern Philippines Leyte 16 Nov. 44 – 2 Jan. 45 47 Luzon Villa Verde Trail Mopping Up 30 Jan. 45 – 28 May 45 29 May 45 – 15 Aug. 45 119 78 Total: 661 days Less 7 days overlapping when the Division was in combat at both Saidor and Aitape. - 7 days Grand Total: 654 days
  12. 12. The 32nd Infantry Division End of Leyte Campaign Dec 1944 - Jan 1945 Less than two months before, Yamashita had sent to his troops a message which carried all the tremendous prestige and authority of an Imperial Rescript: “The Army has received the following order from His Majesty, the Emperor: ‘Enemy ground forces will be destroyed.’” Fighting literally to the death, the Japanese could no longer carry out the orders of their Emperor. The fanatic courage with which they tried is testified by the enemy’s casualty totals for the Leyte Campaign: 56,263 killed, 392 captured. Troops of the 127th Inf., 32nd Div., look over burning Japanese tanks knocked out by American tanks north of Lonoy, Leyte, P.I. on 22 December 1944. On 22 December, General Gill issued General Orders 104, Headquarters, 32nd Infantry Division: Today the “Red Arrow” Division successfully completed its primary mission of forcing a passage through the mountains from Pinamopoan to the Ormoc Valley. After 36 days of the bitterest hand-to-hand fighting yet experienced in this war the Division has annihilated the 1st Imperial Division (reinforced), and by this determined action has shortened the completion of the Leyte Campaign. With all of Highway No. 2 now in American hands, an X Corps order shifted the direction of advance of the 32nd Division westward toward the coast. Dec. 23, 1944 “Jack” John H. Gabbott Arrives. The 128th Infantry, which had been busily engaged in searching the Limon area and eliminating bypassed pockets of enemy troops, started patrols west on 23 December. And on 24 December, the 127th and 128th started toward the coast at 0800. Fortunately, enemy resistance was scattered and ineffective for the terrain itself was almost enough to stop the advance. Supply, which had been a major problem throughout the campaign, was now nearly impossible. Rations were soon low or completely gone. It wasn’t a question of Christmas dinner but
  13. 13. rather would they eat at all? The problem was solved largely by the use of the artillery’s “grasshoppers” – the little observation planes that were certainly never designed as cargo carriers. Although their drops were understandably not always accurate, the planes did get enough supplies to the doughboys to enable them to push through to the coast. Carrying 50 lb. loads, the tiny planes shuttled from the airstrip to the advancing troops. They swept low over the trees to drop the supply cases, and then returned to pick up another load. Shoes, leggins, clothing, food, ammunition, radio batteries, atribrine and all the other items needed on the march made up the cargoes. For two consecutive days the four battalions were completely supplied by this method. It was the largest operation of this kind ever successfully attempted in any theater. On 29 December, both regiments reached their objectives: The 127th, the high ground overlooking Antipolo Point; The 128th, the vicinity of Compopo and Tabango Bays. Patrols were sent out which made contact with the 24th Infantry Division on the north and the 1st Cavalry Division to the south. This terminated for the 32nd Division a campaign which had, in General Krueger’s words, “made inordinate demands upon the troops,” but there was little time available for rest, rehabilitation, and training. Sixth Army’s next objective was Luzon, and the 32nd had its place in Krueger’s plans. The first step was the assembly of the Division in the Carigara-Pinamopoan area along the shores of Carigara Bay. The Leyte Campaign appears to have marked for the 32nd Division its emergence from a sometimes bewildered and often scattered group of units into an integrated division capable of smooth teamplay. The service units of the 32nd Division now had about three weeks in which to get the weapons, transportation, communications equipment, medical supplies, clothing, and personal equipment ready for another extensive campaign. The 732nd Ordnance Company in particular had to meet extraordinarily heavy demands. The Leyte Campaign had been hard on weapons, vehicles and instruments. Inspections showed that about 10% of the Division’s motor transport was now unserviceable and would have to be salvaged. Thirty crated 2 ½ ton trucks had to be assembled, serviced and delivered to Division units. Hundreds of repair jobs were accomplished by mechanics who worked almost around the clock. When loading began in preparation for the sailing of the Division convoy set for 24 January 1945, the Division’s arms and equipment were not perfect or complete, but they were adequate. The 32nd Infantry Division Luzon Campaign - The Villa Verde Trail http://www.32nd-division.org/history/ww2/32ww2-11.html Luzon is the largest island in the Philippines and is the northern most of the main islands in the archipelago. It is about 500 miles long and is over 40,000 square miles in area. The largest mountain ranges in the Philippines are located on Luzon, the highest peak rises over 9,600 feet, and the mountains generally extend the length of the island
  14. 14. During the initial planning for the Luzon campaign, the Allies estimated that the Japanese forces on Luzon numbered some 150,000, the majority of which (110,000) were believed to be combat troops. The Allies believed that these forces, ably commanded by General Yamishita, would put up determined opposition. However, during the final planning for the assault of Luzon, the estimate of Japanese strength on the island was increased to 235,000 troops. As a result, the 32D Infantry Division (plus the 1ST Cavalry Division, 112TH Cavalry RCT, and 3 additional Infantry divisions) was added to the Sixth Army order of battle. The arrival of the 32D on the Lingayen beaches was scheduled for 27 January, eighteen days after the assault landings. The 1ST Cavalry Division and the 112TH RCT were to land the same day. The 32D Division went ashore in the Mabilao area of the Lingayen Gulf beaches, and assembled in the Manaoag-San Vincente-Mapandan area The Division was promptly committed to action. Although General Krueger had decided against a “precipitate advance” until reinforcements arrived, he had pushed steadily forward both his I Corps on the north and XIV Corps on the south. XI Corps, which had been landed by Eighth Army near Subic Bay, passed to the command of General Krueger on 30 January. The troops were now set for the attack on Manila. The 32D Division (less its 126TH Infantry) was committed on the left of the 25TH Division, and by 2 February it had crossed the Agno River and cleared the enemy from the Natividad-San Nicolas-Tayug triangle and captured Santa Maria. The 126TH Infantry was held in Army reserve in the Manaoag-Mapandan area. For the first time in the Division’s World War II history, the 32D Division Artillery (BG Robert B. McBride, Jr.) was committed in normal fashion at the start of a campaign, armed with standard division artillery weapons. Sketch of the Villa Verde Trail The Division’s zone of advance was now in a northeasterly direction astride the Villa Verde Trail. Originally a foot and carabao path pioneered in the 1880s by a Spanish Priest named Juan Villa Verde, this trail leads from the Lingayen Gulf area over the Caraballo Mountains to the lush Cagayan Valley of northeast Luzon. From Santa Maria, where it begins, the trail twists and turns for 27 miles (43 kilometers) to cover the 11-mile, as-the-crow-flies distance to Santa Fe. Before the start of World War II, the trail had been improved to handle cart traffic for about 9 kilometers from Santa Maria, but this section was only a 10 to 12 foot width of ungravelled clay. Although some construction was in progress in 1941 beyond this southern section, most of the rest of the trail was simply a footpath over a 4,800-foot high Salacsac Pass to Imugan, where it joined the road to Santa Fe.
  15. 15. Although the 32D was meeting increased resistance, its progress and that of the other divisions of I Corps had by now deprived the enemy of the capability of moving troops into the Central Plain area and disrupting Sixth Army’s attack on Manila either by attacks on the American rear and flanks or by cutting the attacking troops off from Lingayen Gulf supply bases. The importance of this phase of I Corps’ mission was emphasized by the determined resistance offered by the Japanese to the capture of Manila, a stubborn defense which was not to be completely overcome until 4 March. The attack along Villa Verde Trail northeasterly from Santa Maria during the period 12 to 24 February is called “The Fight for the Bowl.” The other phase of the operation, which started at about the same time but extended to 3 April, is called “Probing the River Valleys.” This phase was conducted mostly by the 126TH Infantry and it included the driving of enemy forces from the Arboredo, Ambayabang, and Agno River Valleys to the west of the Villa Verde Trail area. With the battle for Manila still raging, only the 25TH and 32D Divisions were available to drive the enemy out of his main position here The advance from the Bowl to the Salacsac Pass area and the securing of that area was to be a long, hard job for all the elements of the Division. The difficulties for the infantry are plain enough. For the artillery, the problems of getting guns in and out of suitable firing positions, of finding and occupying observation posts, and of maintaining communications and keeping the guns supplied with ammunition – these were all complicated by the rugged terrain and lack of roads. The quartermaster, ordnance, signal, and medical troops had similar handicaps. For the engineers, particularly, the campaign soon became a nightmare of effort to keep Villa Verde Trail open and functioning as the troops advanced. General Krueger’s comments on the situation which the 32D faced in the latter part of February not only confirm the difficulties of the Division’s mission, but marked the Sixth Army’s commander’s faith in it. “The 32nd Division,” he says, “found it increasingly difficult to reduce the cleverly organized and stubbornly defended position of the enemy. Moreover, the necessity of making the extremely poor, winding Villa Verde Trail passable for heavy vehicles to meet logistic requirements and the difficulty of supplying troops in the rugged terrain of the trail by native cargadores restricted enveloping movement and compelled the division to assault one hill after another and slowed up the advance. Repeated visits to this front had made me fully cognizant of the tough conditions facing the 32D Division, but I was confident that it would overcome all difficulties successfully.” There was one pleasant change for the Red Arrow veterans as the campaign progressed. The days were still hot and the rains poured down as the dry season ended, but the nights were cool and there was even the bracing smell of pine trees as the Division fought its way up onto the knife-like ridges of the Caraballo Mountains. It was a stimulating change from the steaming jungle damp of Buna, Saidor, Aitape, and Leyte. But there was no comparable encouraging change in the enemy’s resistance. On the contrary, his fanatic will to fight to the death even seemed to increase as the overall war situation grew more and more hopeless for the Japanese Empire. Tactically the forces opposing the 32D had many advantages. They not only had better observation from the higher ground they occupied, but they were thoroughly familiar with the terrain over which the Red Arrow Infantry had to advance. As an interior division in the I Corps attack, the 32D was largely limited to frontal attacks along routes which the enemy was well prepared to defend from dug in positions covered by mines, small arms fire, and bands of machine gun fire, and further supported by registered mortar and artillery fire. The enemy’s main defenses were reached early in March. They were generally astride Villa Verde Trail about four miles west of Imugan, and covered the passes.
  16. 16. Sixth Army had by now split the enemy forces on Luzon into three main groups. By far the largest of these, numbering probably over 110,000, was that in northern Luzon. It was under vigorous personal command of General Yamashita, and he was still believed capable of reinforcing the Balete Pass-Santa Fe-Imugan area. On the other hand, the smaller enemy groups in western Luzon and southern Luzon were each practically isolated and that had largely lost the ability to maneuver. They were incapable of aiding one another or of escaping to join the northern group. As the operations progressed, it was evident that Yamashita was going to defend at all costs the mountain positions dominating the passes into the great and fertile Cagayan Valley of northern Luzon. On 6 March, I Corps was ordered by General Krueger to make determined efforts to secure the vital Balete Pass-Santa Fe-Imugan area at an early date. The next few weeks were marked by some of the hardest fighting in the 32D Division’s history. Not only were units of the Division restricted by the terrain and the tactical situation to costly frontal attacks, but the enemy made many vigorous counterattacks. As the attack progressed, positions that could not be readily reduced were by passed, kept ineffective by air attacks and continued artillery fire, and later eliminated when surrounded and cut off from supplies and reinforcements. Antiaircraft guns, little needed for defense against the now almost impotent Japanese air forces, were in some cases used to hit cave strongpoints with their high velocity shells. By 3 April the 126TH Infantry had largely completed its missions of probing the river valleys to the west of the Villa Verde Trail area. The final major action had been the clearing of the enemy from the horseshoe ridge around the headwaters of the Arboredo River by the 1ST Battalion of the Regiment during the time from 10 March to 3 April. By Corps orders, the 126TH was relieved in its zone of action by the 130TH Infantry of the 33D Division. Aerial view of Villa Verde Trail area
  17. 17. Soldiers cross the Arboredo River on northern Luzon on 25 February 1945 Soldiers entrenched atop Hill 504 along the Villa Verde Trail on 1 April 1945. On 6 April the 126TH Infantry was committed to the Villa Verde Trail fight with the mission of attacking east in a zone north of that of the 128TH Infantry. Its objective was the high ground north and east of the trail.
  18. 18. The final push for Salacsac Pass No. 2 now began. The 128TH was on the right and the 126TH on the left and they were advancing in a generally easterly direction although battalions and companies were often attacking south or north, and sometimes even in a westerly direction, as they forced the enemy into pockets of resistance. The Salacsac Pass No. 2 position was captured after bitter fighting on 10 April, according to Division records, but not until 16 April by other accounts. The discrepancy is probably explained by the fact that the “position” was not an isolated one but part of the whole main enemy position and the fighting continued with no well- defined break to mark the completion of the Pass No. 2 action from the attack to capture Pass No. 1. The 128TH Infantry was by now very much down in strength. The 127TH Infantry, in Division reserve, had enjoyed nearly three weeks near Asingan. Gen. Gill now ordered it to take over from the 128TH . It accomplished the relief on 17-18 April The 128TH was assembled near Asingan, the last elements closing into the area on 19 April. This much-needed period for rest, rehabilitation, and the absorption of replacements was to continue until 4 May, and it would have a marked effect on the future successful action of the Division. In the meantime, the 126TH , north of Villa Verde Trail, and the 127TH , astride the trail, continued the pressure against the enemy positions The 127TH Infantry got one company onto the crest of Hill 515 south of Pass No. 1 on 26 April. On the night of 29-30 April, 250 to 300 Japanese launched a vigorous counterattack from three directions against the hill. In the morning 109 bodies were counted around the perimeter of the company’s position. Another small attack the following night was also successfully repelled. During the period 6-9 May the 126TH Infantry was relieved by the 128TH , and assembled in a rest area near Santa Maria. At the same time, the 127TH began a coordinated and somewhat complicated drive to clear the Pass No. 1 area. The 1ST Battalion made a two pronged attack eastward mostly south of Villa Verde Trail. The 3D , from a position north of the trail and slightly ahead of the 1ST Battalion, attacked southward toward the trail. The 2D Battalion, south of the trail, and considerably ahead of the 1ST Battalion, attacked westward back toward the 1ST , and kept pressure at the same time to the east to protect the rear of his attack. Fighting continued throughout most of May with a final assault being launched on 23 May against the Japanese position sometimes called the Kongo Fortress and apparently regarded by them as impregnable. Nevertheless, the Division overcame the enemy’s resistance and completely eliminated all organized resistance in the area on 27 May. Although the final assaults in the Division’s zone of action were made by the 127TH and 128TH Infantry Regiments, the 126TH also had a part in the climax of the Villa Verde Trail operation. On 23 May, in accordance with I Corps orders, the 126TH , with supporting units attached to make a combat team, arrived in the Digdig area in the zone of the 25TH Infantry Division. That division, suffering heavy losses, had fought its way northward through Balete Pass and on 23 May was within about five hundred yards of Santa Fe in the south, about 1,000 yards in the southeast, and about 1,700 yards in the southwest.
  19. 19. I Corps passed these orders on to the 32D with additional missions and details of time and method. Although a few Japanese positions remained in the Villa Verde Trail area, the seizure of Santa Fe and the activities of the 37TH Division as it pushed north would cut off the enemy’s supplies. Not only could these isolated Japanese units be controlled by a small force, but the supply of the Division by way of the Trail was rapidly becoming almost impossible. The heavy downpours and fogs of the rainy season made movements of vehicles very difficult. Washouts and landslides were frequent. The withdrawal of the Division began on 30 May with the movement of the 128TH Infantry, less its 2D Battalion, to the vicinity of Aringay. The following day, the 127TH , less detachments, began moving to the vicinity of Bauang, and the remainder of the Division, less the 126TH RCT, following during the ensuing week. The 2D Battalion of the 128TH Infantry, reinforced, called Holden Force from the name of the battalion commander (LTC Maurice B. Holden), took over the task of cleaning up and controlling what had been the Division’s zone of action. Companies F and G, plus the mortar platoon of Company H, 127TH Infantry, and Battery A, 121ST Field Artillery Battalion, were attached to Volckmann’s force, the Philippine guerrilla command operating in North Luzon. The 126TH RCT remained attached to the 25TH Infantry Division, and was used primarily to mop up the Santa Fe – Imugan area. During the period 4 to 30 June, the bulk of the 32D Division was located in the Bauang-Naguilian – Caba – Aringay area engaged in rest, rehabilitation and training, plus security missions in its area. The daily routine pattern was training in the morning, recreation and athletics in the afternoon, and daily motor patrols throughout the area for which the Division was responsible. On 30 June elements of the Division began to move to the south end of Cagayan Valley. At midnight of that day, the Division passed to control of XIV Corps (LG Oscar W. Griswold). At the same time, the responsibility for all remaining combat missions on Luzon passed from General Krueger to the Commanding General, Eighth Army (LG Robert L. Eichelberger). Sixth Army was to get its troops ready for Operation Olympic, the assault of Kyushu, southernmost island of Japan. Eighth, Tenth and First Armies (the last redeployed from Europe) were scheduled to attack the main Japanese island of Honshu in the early spring of 1946. The officers and men of the 32D , as indicated by General Gill’s phrase, “I look forward to your continued success into the heart of Tokyo” in his general order at the end of the Villa Verde Trail operation, expected to be in the final assault on the heart of Japan, but in the meantime they had a job of mopping up to do. The Luzon Campaign had, in some degree at least, officially come to an end, but it was, in fact, far from concluded. General Eichelberger, in his book, criticizes General MacArthur or “his immediate assistants” for announcing victories too early. He is particularly bitter about the phrase “mopping up.” “If there is another war,” he says, “I recommend that the military, and the correspondents, and everyone else concerned, drop the phrase ‘mopping up’ from their vocabularies. It is not a good enough phrase to die for.” Actually, 30 June 1945 was only the date of the changeover of command on Luzon. Later, the War Department set 4 July as the termination date for the battle credit, Luzon. But the 32D Division and other units continued active operations against opposition until 15 August it was some time after that before Yamashita surrendered.
  20. 20. Photograph at left depicting General Tomoyuki Yamashita, Supreme Commander of Japanese Imperial Forces, Philippines, coming out of the mountains to surrender to the 32D ‘Red Arrow’ Infantry Division near Kiangan, Luzon, on 2 Sep. 1945. At 0800 hours on 2 September 1945 General Yamashita, accompanied by a small staff, walked out of the mountains of northern Luzon and surrendered himself to the 32D Infantry Division on a hilltop near Kiangan, Luzon. He was met by a 24-man detachment commanded by 1LT Russell Bauman, from Company I, 128TH Infantry (commanded by CPT Roy A. Glisson). 1LT Bauman was from Glenbeulah, Wisconsin. Many considered it very appropriate and symbolic that Gen. Yamashita would be met by a ‘Red Arrow’ man from either Wisconsin or Michigan, the home states of the 32D Infantry Division when it was activated from National Guard status at the start of WWII. The battle casualties of the 32nd Division for the Luzon Campaign up to midnight, 30 June 1945, were as follows: Officers Enlisted Men Killed in action 41 720 Died of wounds 10 145 Wounded in action 111 2,162 Injured in action 6 234 Missing in action 1 3 Non-battle casualties 153 4,808 Most of the battle casualties occurred in the four month period from 1 February to 31 May 1945.
  21. 21. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippines_Campaign_(1944%E2%80%9345) Casualties - U.S. Army and Army Air Forces Location Killed Wounded Total Leyte 3,593 11,991 15,584 Luzon 8,310 29,560 37,870 Central and Southern Philippines 2,070 6,990 9,060 Total 13,973 48,541 62,514 Casualties Japanese Location Killed Captured Total Leyte 80,557 828 81,385 Luzon 205,535 9,050 214,585 Central and Southern Philippines 50,260 2,695 52,955 Total 336,352 12,573 348,925
  22. 22. Jack - T/5 Tech 5
  23. 23. PROMOTED TO TECH 4 T/4
  24. 24. U.S. ARMY - Technician Fourth Grade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technician_Fourth_Grade Technician Fourth Grade (officially abbreviated as T/4) was one of three United States Army technician ranks established on January 8, 1942 during World War II. Those who held this rank were often addressed as Sergeant. Technicians possessed specialized skills that were rewarded with a higher pay grade. These skills could be directly related to combat, such as those skills possessed by a tank driver or combat engineer. [ ...] Depending on his or her function, he or she might be called upon by an officer to command a group of men for a specific task. They were non-commissioned officers, as were sergeants. Initially, they shared the same insignia but on September 4, 1942, the three technician ranks were distinguished by a block "T" imprinted below the standard chevrons.
  25. 25. About April 1944
  26. 26. John Hooper Gabbott WWII Campaign Ribbons & Medals TOP - LEFT TO RIGHT 1- Purple Heart For woundes received on 24 May 1945, Luzon campaign 2- Good Conduct 3- American Theater Ribbon BOTTOM - LEFT TO RIGHT 4- Asiatic-Pacific Theater Ribbon With two (2) Bronze stars for: Participation in a) So. Phillippines (Leyte) Campaign 4 Aug. 1945 b) Luzon Campaign - 10 Sept. 1945 5- Philippine Liberation Ribbon With one (1) Bronze Star 5 Feb. 1945 6- World War II Victory Medal