Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
0
Wallingford houses
Wallingford houses
Wallingford houses
Wallingford houses
Wallingford houses
Wallingford houses
Wallingford houses
Wallingford houses
Wallingford houses
Wallingford houses
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×
Saving this for later? Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime – even offline.
Text the download link to your phone
Standard text messaging rates apply

Wallingford houses

305

Published on

Published in: Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
305
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
1
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide
  • The home was built in 1760. In 1774 it was converted to a general store and George Washington bought gunpowder for his troops.
  • The aptly named 1690 house is actually two houses. The original built in 1690 and an addition completed in 17xx. The house is owned by Choate Rosemary Hall.
  • built in 1789 by the Cook family with assistance from several other famous Wallingford families such as the Doolittle Family and Family whose names appear on several Wallingford landmarks.
  • The Giles Hall House was built in 1760. Giles Hall was the brother of Lyman Hall, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Both Giles and Lyman Hall were born in this house.
  • The Augustus Hall House was built in 1760. It is now the home of the Wallingford Historical Society
  • Transcript

    • 1. Atwater Homestead 242 Christian St. c. 1774 was built by Caleb Atwater. His granddaughter Mary Lyman Atwater married Judge William G. Choate founder of Choate School. It is now a Choate dormitory and faculty residenceSource-SomeHistoric Homes in Wallingford, 1977, Wallingford Historical Society<br />
    • 2. Squire Stanley House, 186 Christian Street, was built in 1690 making it one of the oldest residential homes still standing. Its owner Oliver Stanley was visited by George Washington on his way to Boston in 1775.Source-SomeHistoric Homes in Wallingford, 1977, Wallingford Historical Society<br />
    • 3. Atwater Cottage, 302 Christian Street, was built in 1760. The house was converted to a general store in 1774. George Washington bought gunpowder from the store for his troops.Source-SomeHistoric Homes in Wallingford, 1977, Wallingford Historical Society<br />
    • 4. 1690 House, 387 North Main St. is also known as Munson House. It is actually two houses. The original built in 1690 and an addition completed in 1789. The house is owned by Choate Rosemary Hall.Source-SomeHistoric Homes in Wallingford, 1977, Wallingford Historical Society<br />
    • 5. John Hall House, 43 North Elm Street, was built in 1789. Jeremiah Hall, a descendant of the first John Hall farmed on acreage behind the house. It is also owned by Choate Rosemary Hall and used as a faculty residence.Source-SomeHistoric Homes in Wallingford, 1977, Wallingford Historical Society<br />
    • 6. Porter Cook Homestead, 38 North Elm Street, built in 1789 by the Cook family with assistance from other founding Wallingford families such as the Doolittle Family and Carrington Family.Source-SomeHistoric Homes in Wallingford, 1977, Wallingford Historical Society<br />
    • 7. Giles Hall House, 337 South Elm Street, was built in 1760. Giles Hall was the brother of Lyman Hall, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Both Giles and Lyman Hall were born in this house- Source-SomeHistoric Homes in Wallingford, 1977, Wallingford Historical Society<br />
    • 8. Theophilus Jones Homestead , 40 Jones Road, was built in 1700. The house remained in the Jones family into the 1900s.Source-SomeHistoric Homes in Wallingford, 1977, Wallingford Historical Society<br />
    • 9. The Augustus Hall House, 198 South Main St., was built in 1760. It is now the home of the Wallingford Historical Society. There are two hitching posts on the sidewalk next to the building.Source-SomeHistoric Homes in Wallingford, 1977, Wallingford Historical Society<br />
    • 10. The Royce House, 538 North Main Street, was built for Nehemiah Royce in 1672. It was originally located on the corner of North Main and North Street and was moved to its current location in 1924.Source-SomeHistoric Homes in Wallingford, 1977, Wallingford Historical Society<br />

    ×