1. Costume Ideas Starting WithLetter related parties giving your guests a letter as a costume theme is quite common and can makefor some very interesting ideas for costumes. You have a few options...1. Allow guests to dress up in a costume related to their initials (or just first name if you want to narrow their choices)2. Ask guests to dress up in costumes related to your initials.3. Choose 1 or 2 letters that they have to find a related costume for - this can be randomly chosen.To be honest, when you first send out your invitations, many of your guests will be very confused asto what you are asking. I would suggest that in the invitation you do give them a good explanation. Ifyour guests are confused, they may not even attempt to dress up, or worse, not attend your party.This Hubpage will give you lots of ideas for costumes beginning with the letter S. If you look at theend of this hub, you will see links to lots of other alphabet costume idea hubs. Why not print off thishubs to give your guests some ideas?If you have any other ideas, please put them in the comments box, you will be helping other peopleas well.For all your quality fancy dress costumes onlineOh, I nearly forgot - Have a fantastic party!!!!!Safari Explorer - Armand and Michela Dennis were the first Television safari naturalists in the1950s. Nowadays the role model is more likely to be David Attenborough. Safari Suit (or shirt andshorts) with pith helmet or sun hat and binoculars.Sagittarius - Zodiac sign for those born between November 21 and December 2. Traditionallydepicted as a centaur due to the shape of the constellation, a Robin Hood or William Tell outfit couldalso be used.Sailor - Apart from captains and officers such as Francis Drake or Lord Nelson, one of the bestknown sailors is Popeye, the spinach eating cartoon hero. There was also a sailor in the villagepeople line up. The sailor cap evolved from the straw-boater style of Nelsons time to the later circularhat. A blue two-piece uniform with bell-bottom trousers is seen as the typical sailor. As avariation, theAmerican sailor is distinguished by a white tunic and trousers and the round dough-boy cap, or theOfficer & Gentlemen - style officers uniform.St George - Patron Saint of England, Knight of the Crusades and slayer of Dragons. Crusader-stylearmour or chain-mail-look outfit, with surcoat having a red cross on a white background.St Trinians - Anarchic schoolgirls created by Ronald Searle and brought to life in a range of St.Trinians films. Schoolgirl outfit with fishnet tights, battered straw boater with ST crest.St Valentine - Patron Saint of lovers. Costume may incorporate symbols of love or romance, or beadapted from a Cupid/Eros costume.Salander, Lisbeth - Female cyber-goth hacker and leading character in theMillenniumtrilogy of booksand, latterly, film adaptations. The look is punky and pierced, with tattoos, notably a dragon on theback shoulder-blade. Lisbeth has black spiky hair, black jacket, T-shirt (withappropriateslogan), jeans
2. and boots.Saloon Girl - A popular female costume, not dissimilar to the 1890s French Can-Can Dancer butwith a shorter front and longer train.Samurai - Member of the Japanese warrior caste between the 11th and 19th centuries, fearsome(and fearless) warriors famous for theirswordsmanship. The costume which is striking and elaborate,though specialist, is available in latex rubber from some suppliers, although some are less complexvariations.Sandie Shaw - English Pop Star of the 1960s, who married designer Jeff Banks and hence had herown boutique shop chain and label. Simple Nineteen-Sixties smock style dress. Long (shoulderlength) Brunette hair. Deadpan Expression! The barefoot look was her trademark.Santa Claus - Also known as Saint Nicholas (on the Continent of Europe) or Father Christmas, SantaClaus wears a robe of dark red, fur-trimmed in white. However his image has been overtaken by theAmericanised version of the bearded jolly fat man, developed by Coca-Cola in their corporate coloursof bright red and white.Saruman the White - Character from the Lord of the Rings, recently portrayed by Christopher Lee inthe Peter Jackson rendition. A long white flowing robe and long straight white wig and beard will havethe effect.Scarecrow - Famous scarecrows have include the One without the Brain from the Wizard of Oz andWorzel Gummidge from the books by Barbara Euphann Todd.Scarlett OHara - Feisty heroine of Gone in the Wind, the role which won Vivien Leigh an Oscar in1940. American Southern Belle Costume.Schoolgirl - The Schoolgirl has always been something of a fantasy figure, sometimes forquestionable reasons..The Britney Spears music video for One more time..., featuring the singer asa somewhat wanton school girl with short skirt and plaits has helped to renew interest in the concept.See also St.Trinians. This is also a popular choice for a restrained drag cross-dressing outfit.Scientist - Easily Recognised by the white lab coat, glasses and mad hairstyle.Scooby-Doo - Long time favourite of children of all ages on the small screen, and now also a moviestar Scooby-Doo costumes are readily available.Scorpion - Symbol of the star sign Scorpio in which Halloween falls. Black material or PVC outfit withstinger tail. Reflective Glasses can add an air of mystery, symbolic to the Scorpio personality.Scream - Extremely popular (and simple) horror outfit featuring a long black cape and cowl, thomskull-type mask and Knife.Scrooge - Long white night shirt and matching night cap, beard and wire frame spectacles.Sea God - Poseidon (Greek); Neptune (Roman); Njord (Norse).The traditional image involves flowingrobes, a long beard, unkempt hair and a trident.Seahorse - Seahorses are either sandy-beige or reddish-brown. The costume is worked on a basicS-shape, but with a curly, hook-like tail. The head looks like that of a horse but the mouth is more of afunnel-like tube.Sea Nymph - A sea-nymph (Nereid) should be in blues and/or greens. Body colour and wig/hair
3. colour should match.Sea-Turtle - Adapt a ninja turtle suit or build a shell out of fabric/card/fiberglass and use withgrey/green bodysuit.Sergeant Pepper - TheSergeantPepper look is based on The Beatles album of the same name, theFab Fours suits in pink/gold, green/gold, blue/gold, yellow/gold can all be used to represent theSergeant Pepper look.Shakespeare - The Bard of Avon, arguably the worlds greatest playwright. Doublet, breeches andhose form the basic costume.Shania Twain - Popular and Country and Western turned mainstream singer. Leopard-print dress orcoat and hat. Top hat and tails, fishnets and heavy eye make-up.Sheep - Popular for nativity plays and one of the twelve signs of the Chinese zodiac. Ready-madesheep costumes are available for children from a number of suppliers, but a white fur fabric body caneasily be converted for an adult version.Please do not use cotton wool as part of a homemade fancy dress costume. There are too manyreported incidents of costumes catching fire!Sheik - A familiar costume needing little explanation. Those modelling themselves on the Valentinoversion may find use of a Hookah or cigarette holder is useful.Sheriff - Obviously the classic Wild West sheriff springs to mind or, more recently, Woody from ToyStorySheriff of Nottingham - Known as Robin Hoods foe; tunic, gown, hat.Sherlock Holmes - Legendary fictional detective of 221b Baker Street, created by Sir Arthur ConanDoyle. Costume comprises of Meerschaum pipe, deerstalker, tweed coat withattachedshoulder cape.Accessories could include a magnifying glass and/or violin.Shirley Bassey - Welsh singer known for her glitzy dresses, brown curly hair and for singing severalJames Bond theme songs.Shirley Temple - Child film star of the 1930s. Plenty of curls with bows in her hair, short girly dress,ankle socks and low heel tap shoes.Shrek - Green ogre from the films of the same name. Costume comprises of a grey woollen jumper,short brown tied waistcoat, brown leggings and green head with sticky out ears.Sir Francis Drake - Elizabethan naval hero, best known for playing bowls at Plymouth Ho, prior todefeating the Spanish Armada. He wears typical Elizabethan doublet and hose and is famed for hisbeard.Sir Walter Raleigh - Another famous Tudor, credited with introducing tobacco and the potato toEngland. Shirt, waistcoat, doublet, trunk hose over tights. Beret-style hat & feather, cloak, beard.Skeleton - Skeleton suits with masks or make-up are easy to find. Death and Grim Reaper areexamples. A fantastic hooded skeleton top is available for Halloween 2010. Skeleton zombiecostumes are also very popular with young men.Sleeping Beauty - Also known as Princess Aurora in the Disney version. A Princess who, following a
4. spell by the wicked fairy, (Maleficent in Disney) falls into a long sleep along with the other inhabitantsof the castle. She was awakened by a passing prince.Snake - Apatternedcat-suit could be used for this idea, or possibly some body paint. Could be madeinto a pair with someone as a charmer.Snake & Ladders - Snakeskin leotard coupled with laddered tights, to resemble the board game.Snake-charmer - Standard Arabian outfit (or a Turban), with a pipe/flute. And either with a fakesnake, or someone dressed as one (above).Snow Queen - A character from the fairy tales and also featuring as a witch in the Narnia books byC.S Lewis. Costume features are a white fur coat and a tall icicle snowflake crown with matchingsceptreSnow tiger - (Ounce) - White/grey/black version of the normal tiger, with a large long furry tailSnow White - Originally a character from Grimms Fairy Tales but now more familiar from Disney.She wears a red, blue and yellow dress. Short black wig available to be teamed with a redribbon/headband in hair. Short or longer versions of the dress available. Some with a red capeSnowball - A simple costume that can be put together with some imagination.Snowboarder - An authentic looking costume may be difficult to improvise without borrowing.Snowman - A popular symbol around Christmas/Winter time. Many variations available. An authenticfur jumpsuit can be used, alternatively, make-up could be used and teamed with just a carrot nose,scarf and hatSoldier - Military uniforms from all nationalities and different time periods can come in useful here.Sonny & Cher - Couple from the nineteen-sixties, who after started their singing career together,went on to having their own show. Long hair and afghan coats/waistcoats are a feature of the pair.Sorcerer/ess - Essentially the same as a wizard/witch or magician in making use of magic powers.Souk Trader - Found in the bazaars of Kasbahs of North Africa, the trader features a striped orcoloured robe worn with a Fez or Turban.Sound of Music character - Characters consist of Maria (the would-be novice nun), the Abbess andother Nuns, Captain Von Trapp and his Children and the invading Nazis.South sea-girl - Fabric crop top. Hula/grass skirt, Lei flower garland.South Park characters - A popular American TV representing the new generation of crude humour.Masks for some characters may still be available..Southern Belle - Straight out of Gone with the Wind, flowing dress with layers of petticoats and frills.Space Girl - Costumes in silver, lycra or PVC, along with boots, glitter wig and make-up is oneapproach. The Star-trek jumpsuit is another. A completely different approach would be space-girlsfrom different planets allowing you an opportunity for creativity in costume, make-up and hair & bodycolourSpace-man - Could be used as the traditional gold-fish bowl look, with a silver space suit, althoughthere is a creditable NASA replica on the market. Similarly to space-girl, they can be teamed togetheras Star Trek characters.Spandau Ballet - A British group of the 1990s New Romantic era. Buccaneer-style baggy shirts,
5. leather or suede trousers and waistcoats. Gelled hair.Spanish dancer (female) - Flamenco style Spanish dress decorated with frills and frilled underskirt.Black hair with floral or mantilla hair decorationSpanish settler - Character from Latin America or Spanish Mexico. Zorro would be suggested, or awell-know fighter.Sphinx - The best-know Egyptian version was a creature with a womans face and a lions bodywearing a Pharaohs headdress, symbolising power.Spice Girls - The 90s pop girl-band, all five available:• Baby spice - Baby doll dress and hair in bunches (Emma B)• Scary spice - A leopard-print two piece with a streaked afro (Mel B)• Ginger spice - Union jack dress with blonde streaked ginger hair (Geri H)• Sporty spice - Black crop top, two-piece tracksuit with ponytail (Mel C)• Posh spice - Little black dress (Victoria B)Spider - Nursery rhyme character, popularly from Little Miss Muffet. Black leotard could be worn. Orotherwise, spider accessories can be worn.Spiderman - Spidey dons a distinctive red and blue spider-web suit to deal with injustice.Spiv - Shady character from 1940s Britain. Double-breasted two-piece suit with a pencil moustache.Split personality - Possible for a masquerade. Outfit could possibly be split into two halves, man andwoman. Several off-the-peg outfits - Angel/Devil, Convict/Cop, Dorothy/Wicked Witch can be found.Spongebob Squarepants - Popular cartoon character. Costume usually available as a tabard-stylecostumeSports performer (sportsman/sportswoman) - Many sports to choose from: Boxer, Football (orSoccer) player, Swimmer, or Rugby player etc.Spy - A standard spy outfit would include a wide brim hat, such as a fedora, trench-coat with turnedup collar and dark glasses. Females can achieve the look with a headscarf instead of hat. Spies canalso carry a flower in the button hole, or stereotypically a newspaper. Fake-cigarettes could also beused.Stan Laurel - With Oliver Hardy were the classic little and large comedy duo of early cinema.Costumes usually consist of suits and bowler hat.Star Trek - There are a wide range ofpossibleoutfits because of the various versions and films,although licensing restrictions may limit availability. Colour coding is also involved e.g Spock in blue,Scott in red.Starfish - Five arms made of sandy/beige towelling fabric, with central hole for face, or combinethese elements with Elvis to create El-fish Presley.Starlight Express Skater - Padded and decorated tabard worn over cat-suit/leotard and tights.Make-up and hair in high-tech cyberpunk stylesStarsky - Character in popular 1970s US cop series Starsky and Hutch. Dark curly hair and bigopen fronted cardigan, tied with a belt.Statue - The Statue of Liberty is available. A green Grecian robe, headdress with seven points and a
6. torch is worn.Stein Maiden - As an alternative to using the National costume for Germany, you could wear aserving wench outfit to create a required busty waitress look, especially for Oktoberfest (held lateSeptember!)Step-mother - Traditionally stepmothers are supposed to be wicked, the two best known being theWicked Queen in Snow White, and the step-mother in Cinderella.Stevie Wonder - Black two-piece suit and dark glasses. Or for his more recent look, a Kaftan andbeaded dreadlocks.Stig of The Dump - British Childrens book character. Caveman outfit with club.Stormtrooper - Empire troops from the Star Wars saga. Costume consists of rigid white armour withhelmet and visor. Plus weaponry.Street-seller - From townspeople in a pantomime through a fruit-stall seller from Oliver. The costumecan be made up from all styles of a poor Victorian.Sucellos - Known as the Hammer God, Viking outfit would be used with a winged helmet.Sucker Punch - 2011 film featuring five girls (Baby Doll, Amber, Rocket, Blondie and Sweet Pea) in amental institution who escape into fantasy worlds with surreal inhabitant. Official costumes areavailableSuffragette - Fighters for womens rights in the early 20th century. Edwardian outfits with appropriatebadges/rosettes and placards.Sugar-plum fairy - Character from The Nutcracker ballet. The name suggests a purple glitterycostume, but various fairy costumes have been seen.Sultan - The typical sultan costume features an ornate or colourful robe and/or tunic and trousers(baggy, in the harem style) topped with bejewelled or decorated turban. With traditional Arabianslippers.Sumo Wrestler - These Japanese star wrestlers are massive. Foam or inflatable sumo suits can befound from a number of suppliersSun - Yellow costume based on the sun-like shape.Sun-bather - Go as bare-as-you-dare, depending on the weather. The costume can just consist ofregular bathing-swimwear.Sunflower- The stem can be used as a green lyrca suit with leaf gloves/mittens. A brown flowercentre (in face-paint).Supergirl - Cousin of Superman, a red and blue ensemble would create the look. Most likely a croptop with the S emblem.Superhero - Superman/Batman/Spiderman etc. There is a huge choice on the market for varioussuperheroes costumes.Super heroine - Wonderwoman, Supergirl, and Invisible Girl. You could also use your own heroineidea here.Superman - Donning the disguise of a regular reporter Clark Kent in between times, the Hero stepsup and puts on his famous full blue suit with a red cape.
7. Super Trouper - ABBA song title - why not go as theSwedishpop group?You may also want to check out eBay to find yourself a costume...caftan jackets wholesale