1. EARTHQUAKE <ul><li>Learning Objectives </li></ul><ul><li>To know where in the world Haiti is </li></ul><ul><li>To understand the tectonic processes that caused the earthquake </li></ul><ul><li>To begin to understand the impact on the people of Haiti </li></ul><ul><li>To be able to empathise with the people affected by the disaster </li></ul>
2. Complete the first two columns of your KWL grid. What I KNOW about the Haiti earthquake What I WOULD LIKE to know about the Haiti earthquake What I have LEARNT about the Haiti earthquake
3. “ It accelerated with extreme violence. The entire building was shaking violently and I was hanging onto furniture just to stop myself from being thrown around the room and praying that the big concrete pillar in the middle of my office would not break and bring the whole building down on me. When it subsided, access to outside from my office had been blocked off so all the people like me had to get out of my window and go down three storeys on a ladder, a rather rickety ladder. When I reached the bottom, I just looked around me and saw...... FINISH THE STORY. WHAT DID YOU SEE?
4. What do you think happened two hours BEFORE this photo was taken? What do you think happened two hours AFTER this photo was taken?
5. PAIR WORK You are about to see a map of Haiti for 30 seconds. You need to remember as much as you can of the map. You will then have two minutes to draw as much of the map as you can remember on your A4 paper! You will repeat the process three times until you have built up a complete map.
7. Outline of the countries? Names of places?
8. Al Jazeera explains science behind Haiti’s earthquake Watch the clip once all the way through. Watch it a second time and; Person A – Look out for the tectonic plates, where they are and what they are called and draw them onto your map. Person B – Write down a description of what caused the earthquake. Using your sketch map that you made in pairs to help you, draw a neat version of the map of Haiti in your books. Explain how the earthquake happened.
11. Tuesday 12 th January Wednesday 13 th January Thursday 14 th January Friday 15 th January Saturday 16 th January CBS News The Week in Haiti Draw the timeline and write down one thing that happened each day after the quake struck alongside the correct day.
12. Add 3-5 things you have LEARNT today about the Haiti earthquake. What I KNOW about the Haiti earthquake What I WOULD LIKE to know about the Haiti earthquake What I have LEARNT about the Haiti earthquake