View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Social Media Strategy?
In short, “Social Media Strategy” is the
process of effectively interacting and
communicating on the world wide web.
Social Media Strategy ‘Cheat Sheet’
• Social Media is ALL about people.
• Must be willing to take a risk
• Communities and Conversations are key.
• Customers are in control, Corporations who control will lose
• All departments of an organization must be involved or
• Measurement is always important, but not all forms are
• Internal Communication (between employees) is important.
• The Internet, Extranet and the Intranet are impacted.
• Social Media is time.
• Social Media is not a cure.
Should your company implement all parts of
the Social Media strategy?
The mechanisms for putting these
strategies into action vary depending on
the resources and time allocations your
company can make on its own, or if you
decide to work with an agency.
Why is having a Social Media Strategy
1.Companies are now able to communicate
with their markets directly
2.Markets are conversation
3.Markets are now becoming more informed
about products than the actual companies
4.Markets are net-worked from person-to-
person who are joined together in
Never attempt to Control
Conversations, But in order to have
better control over your brand you
MUST participate in conversations!
1. Build a non-marketing community to help
build better relationships with your customers.
2. Creates Buzz!
3. Allows companies to connect with their core customer.
4. Delivers a voice for your company.
What results can I expect?
1. Greater Brand Awareness
2. Leverage Current Marketing efforts
3. More sales
5. Better company interaction
6. Quality Products
7. Positive Conversation
If implemented correctly it works!
The computer company, Dell,
was one of the first
organizations to implement a
successful Social Media
So how did Dell do it…
1. Team of Managers that connected directly with
consumers through blogs, forums, etc.
2. Monitoring and tracking Conversations that mention Dell
3. Dell does not censor criticism, instead responds to all
4. All employees are encouraged to interact with communities
5. Creation of the “DirectDell Blog”
6. CEO supports community interaction
7. Created Buzz around their brand by being open with their
What should I measure to ensure
I am on the right track?
-Number of positive blog posts
-Quality of content shared
-Always monitor conversations
-Number of links from other sites to the
-Number of posts linking to the brand
Tools for Metrics!
• Google Alerts and Google Analytics
• Technorati Account
• Feedburner Subscribers
• Self-Monitor Facebook fan demographics/ number of
• Number of Twitter fans
• Twitter Search
• Self create charts that track strategy actions taken by
the company compared to number of fans/growth in a
Implementing a Social Media Strategy can be
risky. Many companies are finding it difficult
to navigate through the unknowns of “web
2.0” and the mass amounts of information
that comes with it.
Take time to plan out your strategy and goals.
Social Media strategies take time but if done
correctly, it is well worth the risk!
Contact: Cspencer@experience.com or