“Nanotechnology is the science that
deals with the matters at
Nanotechnology is the re-engineering
of materials by controlling the
matter at the atomic level.
• Nanotechnology is not a new science and not
a new technology.
• It is just the extension of technologies that
have been in development for many years.
• It is an extension of common sciences into the
• It is the manipulation of materials at
• Improves concrete workability and strength
• Increase the resistance to water penetration
• Even a small addition (.25%) can improve the 28 day
compressive strength by 10% and flexural strength
• It act as an activator to promote pozzolanic
particles of uniform
distribution ( of size 20 nm
and 100 nm)
• It improves the self-cleaning property of
• It help to clean the environment by the
degradation of pollutant NOx, CO, VOCs,
coming from vehicle and industries
Building made by using self-cleaning
concrete (Church ‘‘Dives in Misericordia”,
• IT provide concrete with self-sensing
• It improves the compressive and flexural
strengths of concrete.
It increase the modulus of elasticity (up to 143%
at a dosage of 5%).
• Cement pastes made with nanosized cement
particles have shown faster setting times
• It provides an increase in early compressive
strength compared to pastes prepared with
• The concept of a nanobinder involves
mechano-chemical activation of cement.
• Mechano-chemical modification of cement
increase the compressive strength by up to
• It improves the mechanical performance of
• It improves resistance to chloride penetration of
• It improves self-compacting properties of
• It reduces permeability and shrinkage of concrete
• It improves post-failure properties of the
CARBON NANO TUBE
• It has moduli of elasticity
and tensile strength.
• It has a unique electronic
and chemical properties.
• It improves the pressure
sensitive properties of
• It is when added with
dispersing agent to cement
will increase the Young’s
modulus and hardness of
Graphite sheets of nanotubes
• This is used in construction to monitor
and control the environment condition
and the material performance.
• The sensors can also be used to monitor
concrete corrosion and cracking.
• These improve reliability allowing better
addressability and the ability to identify
• It can monitor internal stresses, cracks
and other physical forces in the
structures during the structures' life.
• It is capable of providing an early
indication of the health of the structure
before a failure of the structure can
Manufactured MEMS chip
• TiO2 improves the self cleaning property of
• SiO2 makes the glass fire resistance.
• It helps the glass to block light and heat
coming from outside.
• It filter out unwanted infrared frequencies of
light (which heat up a room) and reduce the
heat gain in building
• Coating is an area of significant research in
• This coating is used for corrosion protection
under insulation since it is hydrophobic and
repels water from the metal pipe and can also
protect metal from salt water attack.
• The TiO2 will break down and disintegrate organic
dirt through powerful catalytic reaction.
• It is hydrophilic, which allow the water to spread
evenly over the surface and wash away dirt
previously broken down.
NANOTECH IN INDIA
• It is a government initiative programme.
• The high cost research and infrastructure development
prevented significant industry and venture capital (VC)
participation in nanotechnology research and
• The nanotechnology industry is in its infancy in India
although it appears to be emerging with companies like
Darbur active in nanodrug delivery, Mahindra and
Mahindra looking at nanomaterials for enhancing the
performance of automobiles, Tata chemicals
researching nanopesticide delivery mechanisms.
• Nanotechnology based construction products
might be harmful to health.
• The nanotubes might cause lung problems to the
• The possibility of DNA damage resulting in later
• It can be dangerous to human health if the
particles become airborne.
• The inhalation of TiO2 particles with a primary
particle size between 2 and 5 nm, reporting lung
inflammation for a concentration of 8.8 mg/m³.
• Nanotechnology offers incremental improvements
in the field of construction engineering.
• It improves the performance of concrete and to
lead to the development of novel, sustainable,
advanced cement based composites with unique
mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties.
• The main limitation is the high costs of
• And also concerns with the environmental and
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.