As an Engineer,
How can we turn the
Chennai city green????
CEG, Anna University.
problems in Chennai???
1. Air Pollution and dust in roads.
2. Lack of trees.
3. Unclean cooum.
4. No space for waste deposition.
5. Water logging during rainy season.
As an Engineer, how can we
1. Sprinklers in traffic signals:
Sprinkling of water
• Apart from using Water sprinklers for irrigation,
it can be attached in the traffic signal posts, in
which it can sprinkle water in a split of second
when the signal is turned red.
• This synchronisation of sprinkling water
according to the timing of signal is
2. Narrow jet water sprayers in middle of
• In the road seperators, tall water sprayers are
• These sprayers drizzles very less water such
that the air get moist, while the pedestrians
and vehicles are not wetted.
• Sea water can be used in these sprinklers.
3. Cooum reclamation
• The project is on process.
• 10 years for completion&1200 Cr budget.
• But maintainance is more important than
• For this, secret cameras can be fitted along the
banks to catch those who dump wastes on the
• Dumping should be considered as illegal and
they must be punished.
• Political support is required for this.
4. Find land for planting trees
• The space under Kathipara fly over.( Shallow
• Vast land unused in Kilpauk cemetery which is a
very fertile land.
• The bank along the Cooum river( Only after 10
• Instead of shrubs, plant tall narrow trees in the
• More parks in waste lands
5. Creation of artificial infiltration ponds
• Rainwater is allowed to stagnate in big artificial
ponds and allowed to infiltrate thereby
• This should be made compulsory in every
School & College in Chennai, since open free
spaces are always available there.
• Political support is again required for this to
6. Create huge swimming pools
• Create huge, impermeable and non penetrable
• Expose it to the atmosphere during rainy
• Close fully after rainwater is filled so that the
water is not polluted and evaporated. Aerate
• Reuse the pure water during summer since
rainwater is the purest of all water.
7. Over head Neel Metal Fanalca.
• Huge over head tanks are constructed in the
Neel Metal Fanalca deposition area and instead
of depositing the wastes on ground, it is
deposited on these tanks using cranes and are
• Thus it will reduce the soil pollution thereby
allowing water to infiltrate.
• The harmful substances which are not supposed
to burn are packed in a 100% air tight containers
and can be safely deposited under sea.
8. Parabolic roads.
• The roads are designed in a parabolic
manner which means higher at the middle
and lower at the sides inorder to prevent
water logging in roads.
• The design should be safe enough to
ensure the safety of the vehicles.
• The drained water can be directed
towards the roadside drainage.
1. Economic Feasibilty
• These are estimated to be high budget
projects and cannot be done privately.
• Only source is Tamil Nadu Govt.
2. Social Feasibility
• Political support is very much required to
put rules and orders.
• Common people’s support should be
SO LETS JOIN OUR HANDS TOGETHER
TO CREATE A GREEN CHENNAI………