1. TechnologyMakes us aMarketing Tool,Demographicand TargetBy: Jessica Paolucci andMark Wrightman
2. Introduction In today’s world technology is king and everything seems to revolve around the latest gadget/idea/electronic. Because of these technological advancements, our way of marketing has evolved as well. Technology makes it so easy for companies to turn us into a marketing tool, demographic and target through the use of social media, new forms of advertising, and Google. This can be a good thing for both companies and consumers as well as bad.
3. Overview Social Media Facebook Pinterest New Forms of Advertising YouTube Smart Phones and Tablets Google Google Tracks our Searches Google Ads Match our Most Common Searches
4. Social Media Video Social Media
5. Social Media - Facebook Companies are creating Facebook pages to engage, target, and inform customers about their brand, products, and services. Companies also are using Facebook contests in order to gain more attention through “Likes” on their page. Companies can target consumers through age, gender, relationship status, and geographic area and customize their advertisements accordingly.
6. Social Media - Facebook Has become more of a marketing platform more than a leisure activity Search for brands and companies Turning into search a social search engine Tonnes of companies have Facebook pages to connect with and market to their target customers
7. Social Media - Pinterest Pinterest is an online interactive pin board that has exploded in the past year with more than “11.7 million unique U.S. visitors” (Unknown, 2012) Business are now using Pinterest to advertise their products Consumers can go on Pinterest, see a product they like, and pin it. Once they pin it, they are linked to the business’ website where they can purchase the product
8. Pros and Cons of Social Media Social media such as Facebook and Pinterest has many pros and cons for business marketing to customers and customers being marketed to. Businesses are able to create a personal experience for customers and allow for open communication with their target market. This benefits all parties involved. There can be an over saturation of ads on Facebook that may turn people away from using the website. Businesses are able to promote their products on Pinterest as well as link consumers to their site when they click on the products that they like Consumers get to be creative. They pin what they like and get great ideas from companies for products, the home, style, etc.
9. New Advertising – YouTube Companies use YouTube to create high production videos that can only be seen online as opposed to traditional television commercials They are able to create longer advertisements that engage the audience with YouTube’s technology The goal of many companies today is to make their YouTube video go viral and have many more people see it all over the world rather than just a specific market on tv.
10. New Advertising – SmartPhones and Tablets It is now easier than every before for companies to reach and communicate with consumers because of technological advances. Out smart phones and tablets are constantly with us and this allows companies to reach us 24/7. Smart Phone Advertising (Click Video)
11. Pros and Cons of New Formsof Advertising New forms of advertising such as YouTube, smart phones and tablets have changed the way we interact with others and the way the companies interact with customers. YouTube has allowed people and business to connect with others around the world. Having a video for a company go viral is a major goal in business. YouTube videos made by companies are only effective if the consumer is directed to it, watches the video and shares it with others. Having smart phones and tablets allows businesses to be able to market to customers 24/7. This can be a good thing as well as bad.
12. – Tracks Our Views Tracks user’s searches by recording all activities and websites they visit. Theyalso record how you navigate through certain sites, helping businesses improve their online presence.
13. Google – Customizes Ads to Match Our Most Common Searches Because Google tracks your searches they know a lot about you and can tailor specific advertisements to your profile. Ithelps Google create more effective advertisements by creating profiles for users, and sending them relevant advertisements.
14. Pros and Cons of Google Google tracks our searches and customizes our ads to match our searches/interests. This is great for businesses who want to get a good value for their money. They will know that they money they are spending on ads are being seen by their target market. This is also good for consumers because we will only see ads that relate to our interests and not get bogged down by things we don’t care about. However, knowing that Google tracks our searches can definitely be seen as an invasion of privacy.
15. Recap Social Media Facebook Pinterest New Forms of Advertising YouTube Smart Phones and Tablets Google Google Tracks our Searches Google Ads Match our Most Common Searches
16. Conclusion After evaluating the pros and cons of how technology makes us a marketing tool, demographic and target through the use of social media, new forms of advertising, and Google we have come to the conclusion that the advance of technology has ultimately been a good thing in these fields. It allows consumers to be communicate with business and create a lasting relationship. It allows us to become more involved in deciding how we will be marketed to and our ads are customized to us. The advance in technology has given consumers the opportunity to become more engaged in marketing and advertising instead of just being yelled at.
17. References On The Net - Tracking Your Search History. (n.d.). Information Today, Inc.. Retrieved August 7, 2012, from http://www.infotoday.com/online/mar06/OnTheNet.shtml Is Google Tracking the Online Activities of Safari Users? - In View Marketing. (n.d.). Online Internet Marketing Toronto | Lead Generation | SEO. Retrieved August 7, 2012, from http://www.inviewmarketing.ca/is-google-tracking-the- online-activities-of-safari-users-toronto-online-marketer/ Krull, V. (n.d.). Google Tracking - AskMen. AskMen - Mens Online Magazine. Retrieved August 7, 2012, from http://ca.askmen.com/entertainment/guy_gear_300/349_g oogle-tracking.html
18. References TAB Computer Systems - BLOG: Google Tracking Safari Users. (n.d.). TAB Computer Systems - BLOG. Retrieved August 7, 2012, from http://blog.tabinc.com/index.cfm/2012/4/6/Google-Tracking- Safari-Users "Power of Mobile Advertising." YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. . N.p., 24 May 2011. Web. 7 Aug. 2012. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYHXIC37tr0&feature=related "What Is Social Media? Find out exactly what is social media... - YouTube ." YouTube - Broadcast "Pinterest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia." Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. N.p., 5 Aug. 2012. Web. 7 Aug. 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinterest