2. Who is Alison Redford 14th Premier of Alberta Assumed office on 7th of October 2011 Born 7th of March, 1965 = 46 Born in Kitimat, B.C. Studied at University of Saskatchewan Profession: Lawyer Canada‟s 8th female premier
3. With a Partner Read the article In a blog comment note: Direct and indirect quotes, including partial quotes Generate a list of questions you imagine the reporters asked to get these quotes. How do you think the reporters, Josh Wingrove and Steven Chase, got the Premier talking? How did the reporters get Alison Redford to provide the information and quotations? Be ready to share your questions with the class 15 minutes
4. Alberta Premier on path to push province toward its potential http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/alberta-premier-on-path-to-push-province-toward-its- potential/article2242260/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Home&utm_content=22422 60Ms. Redford this week crisscrossed the continent, visiting Washington, New York, Toronto,Ottawa and home to Alberta with a message: Alberta must stop turning a deaf ear to criticsof Alberta‟s oil sands and petroleum extraction but include them in decisions.She said the province “can‟t shy away from criticism and disagreement” because “too oftenwe speak past each other and refuse to engage with those that see things differently.”With praise for the Ontario government‟s support of wind and solar energy, Ms. Redfordintroduced the potential for interprovincial co-operation on matters from health care toenergy. She invited Ontario, in economic disrepair because of the retreat of itsmanufacturing base, to adopt a new destiny and become a global energy leader along withAlberta.She went further, saying no single source of energy across Canada – from Alberta toQuebec‟s hydro power – is better than any other.“It‟s not Alberta‟s job to go to the table, pounding the fist and saying, „We demand anythingbecause we‟re Alberta,” Ms. Redford said in an interview. “What I will say is Alberta wantsto be much more present than we have in the past.”She is not without problems – the province has a soaring budget deficit, and Ms. Redfordhas been accused of breaking promises made during her successful leadership campaignin the early fall, raising questions about whether she can deliver on her ambitious nationalagenda. And at home in Alberta, Ms. Redford will face an election within six months.
5. With a Partner Brainstorm at least five questions you would ask Premier Redford Tweet @JessL with a question you would ask 10 min.
6. Tips for Interview Questions Research: Read and obtain background info. About the subject, source or topic Ask simple questions: Questions should be short & focused Use open-ended questions: Why, how, tell me about, how does that make you feel? Ask follow-up questions: listen to the answers Be conversational: be informal, refrain from being overly scripted
7. Your Turn Find a partner One person will be the interviewer, the other will be the interviewee Topic: Social media use in the undergraduate classroom You will have 5 min. to generate your questions 5 min. to conduct your interview 10 min. to write it and post it on a google doc, share the link on the blog (remember to make your doc accessible)