3. Interview Techniques Prepare “sound bites”  “I have been blogging for over ten years” Mirror your Interviewer  Match your interviewer‟s mannerisms, speed of speech Record a pre-interview practise (use audioboo!)  Record your reply to expected questions. Analyse your response. Would you hire you? There is no “I” in team  Use the word “we”: “At the University we created a new app that can identify the best cows for succulent steak. My role was to taste-test…”
4. Vocal Variety Monotonous speaking is BORING! Combine your pitch, tone, volume and rate for an expressive and energised voice Pitch: high and low, low = more confidence Tone: *how* we say something, our emotion & energy Volume: loud or quiet Rate: howquicklydoyouspeakcaneveryoneunderstandyou
5. Speaking Rate Find a partner Read the following paragraph to become familiar with it (3 min.) Read the paragraph out loud to your partner who will time you How far did you get in ONE minute? See the number in brackets closest to where you finished, that is your speech rate Tweet @JessL your speech rate
6. The Rainbow Passage, a public domain text, can be found on page 127 of the 2nd edition of Grant Fairbanks Voice and Articulation Drillbook. New York: Harper & Row.When the sunlight strikes raindrops in the air, they act as a prismand form a rainbow. The rainbow is a division of white light intomany beautiful colors. These take the shape of a long round arch,with its path high above, and its two ends apparently beyond thehorizon. There is, according to legend, a boiling pot of gold at oneend. People look, but no one ever finds it. When a man looks forsomething beyond his reach, his friends say he is looking for thepot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Throughout the centuriespeople have explained the rainbow in various ways. Some haveaccepted it as a miracle without physical explanation. To theHebrews it was a token that there would be no more universalfloods. The Greeks used (140) to imagine that it was a sign fromthe gods to foretell (150) war or heavy rain. (154) The Norsemenconsidered the rainbow as (160) a bridge over which the godspassed from earth to their home in the sky. (175)
7. What is it?A podcast is a collection of digitalaudio files distributed over the „net.Often RSS feeds are used forplayback on iphones, ipods, mp3players & other portable devices
8. Podcast Podcast = a portmanteau of “Pod” (Portable on Demand) and “broadcast”Image from thingsblacknwhite.blogspot.com
9. PodcastAdam CurryA.K.A. “the Podfather”Created in January 2005www.dailysourcecode.com
10. Difference? A podcast is different from other digital formats because it can bedownloaded automatically by software that reads RSS or Atom (etc.) feeds
11. Aggregators Keep track of all your rss or other syndication feeds Juice (was iPodder), Audi oShell, Ziepod , gPodder, Po dcastAlley, po dnova
12. RSS Really Simple Syndication A type of web feed that frequently updates with new content RSS in Plain English: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0klgLsSxGsU
14. Why Podcast? Course content dissemination Interview practise (labs this week!) Field recording Study support File storage & transfer Show that you‟re an expert in your field Tweet me a reason why you might podcast?
15. How To Hardware: Smartphone, Laptop (with mic.), Computer (with mic.) Record your audio online (with audioboo) or offline and then upload (audacity) Add your podcast to your own blog, website or tweet a link to it (if using a hosting service like audioboo)
16. Audioboo “Its fantastic for many things. Impromptu interviews that you can put on your website, ambience that just sound wonderful, music youve made yourself, a record of your children growing up or even a full blown radio show. You can use it for reporting, for story-telling, educational use or quick tips. Think of it as your audio digital archive, your web connected dictaphone or simply a great way to let your friends know what youre up to.”(from audioboo)
17. Register You can boo anonymously from the mobile app but its much more powerful with an account. Simply sign up and enter your email and audioboo will immediately send you a link to choose an account name and password.
18. Fill in your Profile
19. Record! Download the app onto your mobile or use the record button on the front page. This allows you to do everything the app does but also adds in the ability to upload audio recorded on other devices.. Then you can go ahead and add a title, some tags, a photo and pick alocation it was recorded in. Theres a 3 minute limit on recordings for the free plan.
20. Follow PeoplePerhaps there are some news anchors who use audioboo or maybe a fashion designer or nutritionist that you‟re interested in.
21. Search “food” BBC Radio 4 documentary on the cheapest BUT most nutritious lunch you can have.John Edwards from the Royal Society of Chemistry reveals that a toast sandwhich is the answer! 7.5 Pence (about 10 cents!) http://audioboo.fm/boos/547663-toast-sandwich-the-best-budget-bite
22. Link to Social NetworksYou can link your audioboo account to your twitter and facebook accounts so that your followers and friends can keep up with all your latest “boos”