10. PROGRAM PROMOTION• Twitter can be a great way to promote your program or class.• Use it to post updates about what you are working on and celebrate successes and achievements.• Use it to promote upcoming events or due date reminders.
9. COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS• Tweeting increases communication and transparency within the community.• Parents and community members feel engaged, rather than like interlopers.
8. ALUMNI RELATIONS• Followingthe pursuits and achievements of alumni reminds us of the important work that we do to develop people.• Twitter can keep Alumni connected to our school and community.
7. CONNECT WITH STAFF• Twittermakes connecting with staff within your building easy and fun.• Connecting with staff outside of your department is enlightening and uniting.
6. CONNECT WITH INDUSTRY EXPERTS• Many of the most-respected personalities in education, or any ﬁeld, are posting articles and news links via Twitter.• Most of them will respond to questions and comments
5. MODELING RESPONSIBLE DIGITAL CITIZENSHIP• Atthe freshman retreat this year only 10% of students reported that parents monitor their social media.• As early-adopters of social media, students need to be taught how to use it responsibly and professionally. Teachers can model that behavior.
4. NEWS AND CURRENT EVENTS• In addition to following people, you can follow organizations.• Follow Local, State, National, Global News Media.• Follow Political organizations• Follow Educational organizations
3. STUDENT COLLABORATION• Thisis how students communicate now, many of them report using Twitter more than texting and rarely use e-mail.• Chorale collaborates on Twitter by discussing options for songs, posting links, and sharing ideas. Each member has an account.• Post polls or surveys to gather data.• Encouraging students or team members publicly is a positive use of Twitter.
2. BEYOND THE CLASSROOM• Twitter allows students and teachers to continue the conversation after class is over. Entire class discussions can be had outside of the brick and mortar walls.• Each of my classes has a hashtag that organizes tweets together. #lhschorale, #lhsacappella, #lhswomensensemble #lhsfreshmanchoir #lhschoirconcert #gloriaforgrin• @Jeremy_Lahman• @GahannaChoirs
1. PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT• Staying current on educational trends and professional articles• Connecting with others on a Global Scale• Some Education #hashtags: #edchat #engchat #lrnchat #ptchat #cpchat #edbkchat #educoach #teachchat #ntchat #gtchat #spedchat #spnchat