• Are courage and strengthHero qualities you look for in a“endowed with great courage andstrength . . . Celebrated for his bold modern hero?exploits.” • Must a hero be well known and celebrated to be a hero? What about fireman, police officers, or helpful neighbors?
• Write a one paragraphHero description of a someoneWho is your hero? Describe them. (a real person) who you consider a hero. What qualities make them a hero?
• An Epic is traditionally aEpic long narrative poem thatQualities of an Epic: celebrates a hero’s deeds.• Hero is generally male What songs do you know• Here is of noble birth or legendary importance that could be considered• The heor’s traits epic?
• Who are they?People to know • Where are they from? • What purpose do theyBeowulfHrothgarWulfgarHiglac serve in the story?GrendelGrendel’s MotherDragonWiglaf
• What are they?Objects of Importance • Why are they important?HerlotEdgetho’s Chain MailHruntingGrendel’s ArmGrendel’s HeadThe Stolen CupBeowulf’s NecklaceBeowulf’s Tower
• Who wrote the story?Quick Questions • Why did he write it? • What makes BeowulfEssential facts to know different than Gilgamesh or Hercules? • Why is Grendel attacking them? • How does Grendel die? • What does Grendel’s mother take from Herlot?
• How does Grendel’sQuick Questions mother die?Essential facts to know • What does Beowulf do with Grendel’s head? • Does Beowulf accept the offer of the Danish throne? • What is stolen from the cave? • How old is Beowulf when the dragon attacks?
• What happens to Beowulf’sQuick Questions sword and shield?Essential facts to know • What do his men do? • Who helps Beowulf? Why? • Who dies in the battle with the dragon? • Who becomes the next king? Why? • How does Beowulf serve his country after his death?